Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gbp/g2 vid numbers

Posted by fsdigital12 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gbp/g2 vid numbers
May 09, 2014 05:17PM
How tight numbers should you dig?

Obviously deeper targets will give a not so accurate indicator but in general should I only dig repeatable numbers in say 75-95 range if I'm looking for coins?

I know when numbers bounce all,over the place it's usually trash

Any help is appreciated
Re: Gbp/g2 vid numbers
May 09, 2014 05:23PM
On a GB/G2 - I'd dig if the #'s are generally staying within 4 to 5 either way - beyond that and it's most likely junk of some type (tone gives a good indication too though so you have to take that into consideration).

Shallow coins will be even tighter in most cases -- only the deeper and/or on edge coins will jump a few #'s in most cases (or if there's a co-located target)

I'd dig anything from around 55 on up too (when coin hunting)

lower if gold/relic hunting

addendum:

the above is in the case you're hunting a park or the like (school, beach, modern site, etc.)

if on an ancient site - I'd dig everything above nail grunts)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2014 02:17AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
May 09, 2014 08:49PM
Appreciate the tips and info

Thanks for taking the time to explain things and clarify.
May 12, 2014 02:04PM
I have been focusing my G2 recently on looking for items that only register halfway or less on the depth meter but still give a fairly consistent reading. I do not have confidence yet on the really deep items so focusing on what looks like mid depth. I have pulled three more silver dimes that registered mostly between 60s and high 70s over the weekend, along with two thimbles I am working on IDing.
May 14, 2014 01:32AM
I no longer have my GBP, but in addition to checking for the VDI I would try a couple of fast swings to see if it jumped around and do the trick with walking the coil off the target to see if it grunts as it comes off the edge of the coil.
May 18, 2014 10:07PM
If your in bad dirt or multiple targets under the coil with each swing like nail infestation...dont pay attention to the I.D.

but on clean ground isloated targets usually more than 10-15 point bounce is trash or deeper iron...

Keith
May 21, 2014 02:25PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If your in bad dirt or multiple targets under the
> coil with each swing like nail infestation...dont
> pay attention to the I.D.
>
> but on clean ground isloated targets usually more
> than 10-15 point bounce is trash or deeper
> iron...
>
> Keith

Keith nailed it...clean ground, good dirt, targets not super deep, and a coil will give a pretty good, fairly tight ID...

Meanwhile, add some mineralization, some depth, and lots of targets, and ID will bounce across a much larger range. When relic hunting in red irony soil, I set my tone break near the top of the small iron, and dig nearly EVERYTHING else...

Steve