Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F19 Book Smarts Vs Field Smarts?

Posted by Trucker_Greg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F19 Book Smarts Vs Field Smarts?
August 05, 2014 03:29AM
Well I have been giving the F19 a work out the last couple of days, I have not dug anything deeper than 4". Which gets me to the title, Book Smarts vs Field Smarts. I believe Fisher never field tested the machine, and took it all on the engineer's recomendations, meaning it looked good on paper. Never heard of any one testing anything except for Mike Scott on the Diggers show but that was a T2 proto type.
The backlight is great, hoping to get a significate improvement on depth with increasing the gain to 100%, no improvements, I did notice that it falsifys pull tabs to a reading of 58, thinking it should be a nickle. wrong.
Bottle caps are coming up in the quarter range 84-87.
If my old G2 would read 58 I knew it was a nickle,78-83 penny or 83+ for a dime. going to be expecting a delivery of a 11x9 Dd coil in the next day or so. I am going to hunt my favorite spots to see if I can come up with a little more depth or Gold. If not I'll have a F19 up for sale.
Re: F19 Book Smarts Vs Field Smarts?
August 05, 2014 03:40AM
Do you know about the recall? Your unit needs sent back.
August 05, 2014 05:32AM
Been there done that, got my Free Fisher hat Also
August 05, 2014 06:38AM
Hows the depth in all metal?
August 05, 2014 06:43AM
Greg just get a Deus you can program that for your type of ground and the coils do work..I think fisher really was taking a chance on this machine calling it the best relic hunter out there. Deus came to the USA and started slow it was word of mouth that got the company on the Map...I would think it's Fishers owners that didn't really put 2 and 2 together. I'm sure they may have hurt themsleves also but watch them bring to market a new unit that is very different from what is out there and gain back those that are walking away...Like I said number one is up for grabs. Whites owned that spot and then Minelab and Fisher was in the mix. Now it's up for grabs again and Fisher didn't grab the brass ring this time around...they may not understand that a lot of us have been hunting for 15 years or more and we have seen how the game is played and are hard to fool.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
wjs
August 05, 2014 11:44AM
Greg its interesting you mentioned the pull tabs hitting at 58. I noticed the same type of thing. I dug a ton of can slaw that hit right where the nickel did. This never happened on my G2. Something is wrong there too.

This is a quote from Mike Hills on his post on findmall. "So I decided to try something different. I raised the disc up to 65, set the v-break to max, so 80 and above was high tone VCO and 66 to 79 was low tone. I thought it would get rid of the foil and help isolate better targets. Unfortunately I was still finding small foil at 4 and 5 inches."

Disc at 65 and still digging small foil that must have hit above the 65 disc point.

They are going to have to admit there are still major problems with the detector. I have also heard others say the volume and modulation do not work right either. I hope they can get this straightened out and not just say they are operating correctly. They are not.

As far as field testers go they need to get them into the hands of people like Tom, Keith, and some of the other hard core detectorists on here that will put them through all kinds of tests and then report back HONESTLY what they find. This thing should have never made it to the market.

I tried the 11" coil and it may have added an inch at best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2014 11:55AM by wjs.
August 05, 2014 01:01PM
Never used a F19 but I do know on any unit many pulltabs or can slaw will come close to a nickel and bottle caps depending if they are whole bent or crushed will imitate a high coin. As far as 4 inch depth heck radio shack cheapies will go at least that deep. Either have a faulty machine or perhaps inexperienced hands at the throttle...Indeed would love to read a concise field evaluation from one of our prominent members.
Guess that's why many wait before they buy a new market unit. From past experience see first run units having to go back to company for revisions and inexperience also may play a part on a units abilities..
August 05, 2014 04:59PM
Greg,
I don't think you got a post-recall unit. I think your replacement's replacement is bad and you need to send it back.

You should be able to air test a dime out to at least 8" with a TID response and be able to hear a response out to 9" + with a good set of headphones using the stock coil.

When I leave the gb at its preset factory level, the majority of my nickles respond with a TID of 57.

I took the F19 to an old park down in the river bottom looking for good dirt to chase fringe depth targets to report on. This turned out not to be a good site for this type of hunt due to the volume of low conductor non-ferrous trash. The F19 is not a unit to hunt for non-ferrous targets in non-ferrous trash. It just isn't in it's design criteia. The main design criteria is non-ferrous responses in ferrous trash.

At this hunt, all the fringe depth responses I was chasing turned out to be really small foil, abeit deep for this size foil. I didn't find anything else because I didn't get my coil over anything else that met my criteria for this particular hunt. My criteria was responses with only 1 or no bar on the signal strength meter that didn't bounce down into iron.

Regards the high response reading on the deep oxidized foil bits, that is pretty normal operation from my experience with single frequency machines in my ground conditions.

I posted the effort regardless of my success or failure.

My expectation is that someone else will get a properly working unit and post results so we can compare apples to apples, instead of apples to lemons.

HH
Mike
August 05, 2014 06:43PM
non of the FT 19Khz machines are depth monsters...

the whole G2/GB/F19 platform is built off of a gold amchine with disc added...

and thats what it is...but to be honest, while they added disc and notch and backlights and volumes and such its still a gold machine at the heart...

the architecture is not there.

look at a Troy x5 on 19khz...its not designed off a gold nugget hunter platform.crazy depth..(Alway's felt that the X5 had some 1266 in it and was set on 19Khz)....

Look at a DEUS/GMP/DTVG all high freqs one even at 25Khz.....there not desinged as gold nugget hunters..great depth..

They use the high freqs for reactivity and ability to enhance usable gain but they are not designed off Gold nugget cicuits...

the FT 19Khz machines are running a gold nugget hunter platform with some disc added....

I think if they wantd to push the ultimate relic hunter for them they would need to take the f75 or T2 and put it on 19Khz and add some tweakable feautures...

I like the g2 and the Gold bug for what it can do but at the same time you have to know the limitations of the platfrom...it was not touted as a relic hunter it was a gold machine with a disc circuit...but we found uses for it and accepted it for the spots it exceeded...but to make it into a machine to claim to be a relic hunter and its still a gold machine at the heart will leave people perplxed and at times unhappy about a purchase..

The G2 /GB is perfect for plucking targets out of iron but lets leave it at that...

I think if they had of just added options to the Gold bug and released it as a Gold pug pro 5.0/G2 5.0 version there would not been that much dissapointment ..but to camo it , call it limited ,and say best relic hunter ever ..thats a big claim to make ...

side note:
Best relic hunter I ever had was a Nautilus dmc 2b...Insane depth great disc.. unreal audio.. and relayed audio intelligence to yuo about every target in the ground...remembr relic hunting is not about jsut digging small brass out fo nails.. its about getting Artifacts.. iron,and brass,, big or small.. deep and in iron infestation...

The G2 fills one specific purpose the best and thats diging targets out of iron...usually small and of low conductance...I would leave it there...dont push it as anytihng more than a specialized Tool..

But at the end of the day, heck it's just a metal detector ...

Keith
August 05, 2014 09:01PM
Keith,
You are absolutely right. The GB/G2/and now the F19 primarily design at their core is as gold prospectors. Good gold prospectors at that. And besides just basic performance, they threw in some tools, like the ground phase reading, an expanded ground balance range, a FE304 meter, and a Discrimination mode.

This is what I see going on and I'm just talking though my hat......When they discontinued the 1270, that left a gap in the Fisher lineup. They didn't have anything they could market as a relic unit. Based upon customer feed back about the GBP/G2 performance it seem fairly logical to take the GBP platform, update the Disc mode with some enhancements to make it more useful to a relic hunter and viola!. The gap is filled with a new relic machine called the F19. This all seems fairly strait forward and based upon comments I read when the F19 was first mentioned, expected. Everything was moving smoothly along until ....that train wreck of the release.

All the momentum that had been gained over the months suddenly ground to a halt due to a component issue at lanch. I think if folks had gotten properly working units at the get go the F19 would have had a running start at sucess. But now, all that momentum has been lost. The F19 is standing still and will be until enough properly working units get out into the field to build some confidence in their user base.

Regards the marketing hype...well, what do you expect them to advertise it as?, The third best relic detector in the world? Ha!....no, marketing does what marketing is susposed to, and that is sell the machine.

Anyway....just talking out loud. I like the F19, myself, when I use it where it works the best. I just wish I wasn't the only person in the world with a properly working one.

HH
Mike