Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

new searcher, maybe

Posted by FLfella 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
new searcher, maybe
September 19, 2014 07:14PM
Multi question..... happen to mention to neighbor I was looking into MD as a new hobby. She proceded to give me a 2004 Fisher ID Excel her deceased husband had bought, and hardly used. Looks almost new, but looking at the Owners Manual, appears to be a coin machine. Would it work for gold, relics, etc. in GA, NC streams?

An attached note says, "not good in wet sand or surf"; which would be my primary use. If this is true, and the above answer is NO, what would be a fair price to stick on it at Ebay? Earphones included.

Next, and I'm sure this is a common and loaded question, what machine is recommended for beach searching, along with dry land? Machine will be used to relic hunt old narrow guage rail and wagon train tracks in CO, UT & NM next spring.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Oh, forgot....budget for new unit is a grand, thereabouts. Less is better. smiling smiley
Re: new searcher, maybe
September 19, 2014 08:33PM
As for the Excel being able to gold propect...Not its strong point...

A used exel in good condition 200.00..

Beach Jewlery stay out of the water maybe some wadding only /////relic hunt Iron loaded sites/////And prospect///// Get a G2...pick up some accessory coils as you go along...5 inch is a must have for tight iron site work.....Prospecting and iron site work coil is 5x10 DD but the stock coil 11" Biaxial for prospecting and deeper relics is fine and is also fine for an all around coil anywhere...for maximum depth add a Ultimate 13 coil at a later date...

Now I said all that about coils to say this...the G2 will come with the best all around coil, thats the stock 11" biaxial...

Now this is just a machine that can cover all your needs you asked...and the strongest point of the machine will be prospecting...

but if you want to push things further and buy each individual specialty machine then theres other options wiht each specialty machine like for beach... for prospecting...for iron site unmasking work...

but its easy to recommend the G2 as it will fill alot of needs well....and also its extremley easy to run and is very stable and works in the environs you asked about...

others will say different machines of course....and theres alot of great detectors that are prospecting with multi use capacity like MXT's...xterra 705...etc.. but for the money and ease of use the G2 would be a first pick to especially a new hunter and one you can grow with ...Simplistic performance...

Keith
September 19, 2014 08:48PM
As usual Keith gives some good all around advice.....good luck hunting around old train tracks as iron is prevalent taking into consideration the iron left behind and the minute chips from the tracks and wheels...

Excel at its best for local parks as depth is limited and audio weak...feebay is a good sellers market but a poor buyers mark....also metal detector classifieds is a thought and some one may take your unit as a partial trade on a new or used unit....
September 19, 2014 09:11PM
For wet salt beach hunting ..... you will need either a Fisher CZ or a Minelab Excalibur/Sovereign.
September 20, 2014 01:51AM
There's a G2 as well as an AT pro with 2 coils on the Findmall classified right now if you're interested. smiling smiley
September 20, 2014 02:46AM
I would go with the G2 and learn it and then when you find you are hooked on the hobby take a look at the Deus

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 20, 2014 12:56PM
Thanks Keith and all the rest.....gives me research subjects. FL beach/surf will likely be the major use for a while; although have a cabin rented on a stream in NC next month that is in historical gold area. My son has found some interesting artifacts along long abandoned narrow gauage tracks in CO, so anxious to try that next Summer.

Appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, ideas.
September 20, 2014 07:56PM
Your welcome...

Keith
September 20, 2014 08:10PM
I sometimes hunt the old "chilli line" here in New Mexico, it run from Santa Fe to Colorado, find some interesting stuff at the train stops.

Markus
September 20, 2014 08:18PM
I too love to hunt around rail road depots Markus...never know what will turn up...

especially pre civil war ones..

Keith