Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Teknetics G2 users

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Teknetics G2 users
October 31, 2014 05:00PM
On my Teknetics G2, I can wiggle the coil in the air and the unit goes into a 'falsing fit'. Also, while I am sweeping the ground, occasionally the unit will sound off with a high pitched bark . I know of no other way to describe it. This is with the 11 inch coil. I will mount the 10" x 5" coil and see if the noises disappear. I have owned several G2's and three Gold Bug Pro DP's and have never heard such noise for ary one of them.
Would anyone here that owns a Teknetics G2/Fisher Gold Bug Pro please take your unit outdoors, flip it on, and shake it with a twisting motion. The way I do it: I will be scanning the ground with the unit and then I will raise the coil until the shaft is parallel with ground and I will twist it back and forth. Whether I twist it lightly or vigorously, .....it goes into a fit of falsing UNTIL I quit twisting it. (You know, like we used to check AT Pro's for falsing when they were first released).
I might have to send this unit back in. I have owned this very unit before and it was never this bad. But the box did show some 'rough handling" indications like I see on many packages that are shipped VIA the USPS. I could see where alot of weight had been placed on the box. And the control box seems alot looser than it was when I first had it. I sold it to a good man and a good friend who simply put the G2 in his closet. I trust him totally. A few months later....I bought it back from him.
So, absolutely no fault lay with him. If ANYONE.....it would be the United States Postal service. But this thread is not about finding fault.......but rather.....finding a solution.
I can still use the unit. I found a roundball yesterday with it (11 inch coil). Thanks guys. (and ladies if there are any present). Have a great weekend!!! kevin
Re: Teknetics G2 users
October 31, 2014 05:06PM
discommect the coil connector and re-connect it, being careful to lineup the little notch on the connector with the corresponding projection on the male connector on the control box – and ensure it is pushed all the way in before you start to tighten up the lock ring.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 31, 2014 05:26PM
I had to secure my wiring very snugly against the shaft until it reached the knuckle to have no movement while using the G2. Since I did that a few months back I have had no issues.
October 31, 2014 05:49PM
Mine does not do that Kevin
October 31, 2014 07:46PM
Never seen one do that..

Sometimes those BiAxials can go bad and get noisy though...

Keith
November 01, 2014 03:51PM
Well, I hooked up the 5x10 coil and it it still falses when I twist the unit in mid-air. Might be time for a 'send-back'. As for hooking up the cable to the control box, I am, always very cautious about it. The notch is always aligned with the little ridge on the cable-end. I doubt that it would fit any other way. But I always visually make sure that the notch is properly aligned.
Is there a FACTORY RESET on these units that anyone here might know about. I scanned the Owners Manual and saw nothing.
This is the noisest G2 I have ever used.
One more thing that I noted: The control box is a good deal looser than when I previously owned it. And given the way the shipping box looked, it appears to have suffered some "In Transit" abuse.
I had owned this very unit before. In fact,. this was the "sizzling G2" that was owned by Keith S. I bought it and used it back a few months ago. It was nowhere NEAR this noisy. I used it quite a bit and got to knowing it fairly well.
Please understand, this is a used unit so I cannot use the warranty. Also, I am quite sure that the man I sold it to before I bought it back never used it. It basically sit in his closet. Plus, he is a good man, a forum member, and a person whom I trust COMPLETELY.
My objective is simple: I just want my G2 to work properly. I am still using it. It seems to function fine while scanning unless you hit a twig or some other ground debris. Then it will cut loose with a "detector flatulence"......lol.....for want of another term. By no means am I loosing sleep over this. I'll call Felix, Monday.