Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

More recent human trash than you can imagine! What detector?

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
More recent human trash than you can imagine! What detector?
November 05, 2014 08:56PM
I can honestly see where if XP were to come out with a small coil it would blow the rest of the detecting world away. Well I'm hunting in the most trash imaginable, modern trash over centuries old trash. The Deus is great but not really made for seems like millions of cans shredded in and on the ground plus all the stuff that is attached to them. Nails virtually strewn around through the depths too. What detector should I consider to run a small coil on?
Re: More recent human trash than you can imagine! What detector?
November 05, 2014 09:08PM
That sounds like a never ending job to me. Most any detector with a fast recovery speed with a small coil will help. I have a place I hunt once in a while when I feel like digging a lot. I use my little Tesoro Compadre with the small coil. I only look at a very small area. I work slow and easy. Listen for the solid signals. Than dig it. I have pulled out a truck load of trash. Did get a few silver coins and one gold wedding band. I have got to be in the mood to dig. This place is bad. It would cause a preacher to drink... KEN

Two Tesoro Compadres, One Silver uMax, , and one Whites Surfmaster 2 , Fisher 1266x
I had others I wish I did not sell.
November 06, 2014 12:16AM
Iron can be ignored. But Can slaw? What a nightmare! I'm thinking of a good target ID machine like a Whites MX5 or M6 or maybe an AT Pro. Just keep an eye out for jumping numbers especially from different directions. These detectors are not depth demons, but they have good target ID's on them.
November 06, 2014 01:28AM
modern trash...dont know of anything better than a minelab.
November 06, 2014 01:44AM
I would suggest a tractor with bucket or a small bulldozer. Seriously some sites are that bad.
November 06, 2014 02:02AM
6" coil on the CTX 3030 should work well and you can easily leave the slaw in the ground and still get most coins.
November 06, 2014 09:03AM
These type of sites are where I live and prefer to hunt and I have been very successful using both a Compadre 'and an F2 with a sniper coil to do it.
Jewelry is my goal but I find silver and older coins at these sites sometimes also if they are there.

I wanted to get into a unit that can work as well but get even better depth and also go after deeper and older coins so I bought a new one to do it and right now I am doing pretty good pulling out keepers at sites exactly like you describe with my F70 at the present time.
Figured out how to use it in iron infested sites with 3 different coils, now I am hitting parks and some of the areas I hunt have extreme trash and it works well there, too with several different settings to use to do it.
Very fast, target separation is astounding on the Fishers using any coil but amazing using the smaller sniper types, decent ID's at all depths, usually jumps around a lot on 80% of normal park trash so I can avoid it, using the 5" DD coil makes it all easier in heavy trash and I even have found a way to tell if I am swinging over those high tone pop tops most of the time even with DD coils and avoid those too.
As far as depth, the smaller coil still seems to get crazy deep, more than deep enough for my situations and sites.
I can easily hit the 8-10" mark, most of the older good coin targets I am after in my sites seem to average between the 6-8" area, but I have seen ID's and depths on my screen on targets that I have not dug that were deeper even past 10".
Here in Kansas the soil is unusually good so your mileage may vary.
Since all 3 of these are built on the same core platform and work in a similar fashion, I might suggest looking at the F70, F75 or T2 units and sniper coils for this kind of work.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2014 09:18AM by diggwr27.
November 06, 2014 04:40PM
low frequency and small coil unit with lots of tones
November 06, 2014 05:36PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can honestly see where if XP were to come out
> with a small coil it would blow the rest of the
> detecting world away. Well I'm hunting in the most
> trash imaginable, modern trash over centuries old
> trash. The Deus is great but not really made for
> seems like millions of cans shredded in and on the
> ground plus all the stuff that is attached to
> them. Nails virtually strewn around through the
> depths too. What detector should I consider to
> run a small coil on?

I really do not think detector choice is the answer, if there is so much surface trash, target masking is going to be a big problem. If the area is worthy, with some great targets underneath, then clearing out the surface targets will be worth it. If not, I would move to a different spot. Several years ago, I was in a great area for
finding some 20th century coins, it was at a turn of the century corner house lot. They were tearing out the old brick sidewalk in front of this old house and I secured permission to hunt from the owner. I was finding early wheat cents and mercury dimes every couple of feet, then got a V and Buff nickels in the same hole, every coin was down about 4 to 6 inches deep. My old Tesoro Toltec ll could handle the rusty nails, if the detector beeped I dug it, did not even have to look at the meter as all targets were coins or tokens and other neat stuff. I was tooling along and got a broken signal and looked down and saw a half buried, rusty crimp style bottle cap, so I reached down, plucked it up and put it in my trash pouch. Then run my coil over where the bottle cap had been and got a sweet signal, looked at the meter and it read screwcap, dug down 6 inches and pulled up a pair of Indian Head pennies. I would have missed them if I had not removed the rusty bottle cap and swung the coil back over that spot.
November 06, 2014 10:47PM
If coins are what you are looking for in an environment loaded with iron, foil and aluminum trash, one of the oldie but goody units that can sniff coins out is an XL-Pro, 5.3 inch coil running in GEB/SAT mode working real slow and watching the meter spike into the coin area. Hard to find them units now, as most guys don't give them up.

A more modern detector for that type of hunting would be running an X-Terra 705/505 series with the 6 inch low frequency Coiltek 'digger' coil running multi-tones. Others include the fast recovery types like the Fisher/FT F series, Gold Bug and the Tek G2. Although the ones running at higher frequencies hit the lower conductors harder ( ie, foil, aluminum) so there may be an advantage to using a lower frequency unit.

No matter what unit, and small coil is a must.
November 06, 2014 11:31PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> I would suggest a tractor with bucket or a small
> bulldozer. Seriously some sites are that bad.

right! and therein lies the issue today!
an accumulation of crap most everywhere you hunt
tough to stay involved,it's so bad!..ya DO get used to it though,and
continue to look for the good stuff!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 06, 2014 11:32PM
therover61,

I have a 4 tone modified 6000 Pro XL and have used it in the S.A.T. mode with tone ID turned on and used the standard tone in the S.A.T. mode. I have found out that I prefer to use the G.E.B. Disc. mode in the trash. The 6½" coil is a killer in the trash, especially when mounted to my Mr. Bill modded IDX Pro which is more effective in the iron and aluminum trash than the S.A.T. mode on the 6000 Pro XL/ XL Pro. Two filter detectors rule in this environment, whether it is an older model ED-120 Tesoro, like the my old Toltec ll/Bandido or a good slow motion White's like the IDX Pro or the 3 filter MXT family.
November 06, 2014 11:41PM
therover61 Wrote:
> If coins are what you are looking for in an
> environment loaded with iron, foil and aluminum
> trash, one of the oldie but goody units that can
> sniff coins out is an XL-Pro, 5.3 inch coil
> running in GEB/SAT mode working real slow and
> watching the meter spike into the coin area. Hard
> to find them units now, as most guys don't give
> them up.
>
> A more modern detector for that type of hunting
> would be running an X-Terra 705/505 series with
> the 6 inch low frequency Coiltek 'digger' coil
> running multi-tones. Others include the fast
> recovery types like the Fisher/FT F series, Gold
> Bug and the Tek G2. Although the ones running at
> higher frequencies hit the lower conductors harder
> ( ie, foil, aluminum) so there may be an advantage
> to using a lower frequency unit.
>
> No matter what unit, and small coil is a must.

yes! the xl-pro in geb/sat mode running the 5.3 black max
will indeed do the job.as mentioned,go slow,and watch for meter deflection.
the mx-5 running an eclipse 5.3 with a super quick processor also is a good choice.
run in "2 tone" mode with first three iron spreads eliminated

(h.h.!)
j.t.
November 07, 2014 02:57AM
Hombre,

The XL-Pro in any mode is a great detector. I found that in some really trashy spots, my arm would tire a bit in the normal mode due to having to sweep at a brisk pace. The GEB/SAT mode, although a tougher mode to use, did allow me to relax and slowly move along pecking away.

Glad to hear you have a tone ID XL-Pro...wish I never sold mine ( but it's in the hands of a good guy who uses it a lot so I am happy it went to a hunter who uses it).
The 6000 Pro XL and the re-named XL Pro
November 07, 2014 05:31AM
The XL Pro is a great detector for more open, less targeted locations. My 6000 Pro XL with the 5.3 BullsEye coil does OK at semi-trashed out areas. It is more for well hunted parks and sports fields. When tuned right with a hot Signal Balance and low Disc. setting in the Disc. mode it does alright with a slower sweep speed. The trick is to get the Signal Balance and Ground Balance set just right and this will allow a slower sweep speed with the small coil.

Getting back to the original post, it takes a 2 filter fast response and quick recovery metal detector to sort through the horrible trash in the location described by the original poster. I hunt some places that may have as many a dozen hits both ferrous and non-ferrous targets in a single sweep. To combat this scenario I use a dedicated slow sweep machine like a Tesoro Bandido or a White's IDX Pro both equipped with smaller than stock coils. I am a dedicated user of the older analog metal detectors,but lately have acquired a new digital White's MX5, this machine is a hoot to operate in heavy trash. It is easy to set up with it's uncomplicated menu.I set it up with 8 or 9 bars out of 10 for sensitivity. Then use the 2 Tone option with all-metal accept, much like the MXT Relic mode, I use the excellent 5.3 Eclipse coil and do a slow waltz in the iron, I have found some deep targets (silver dimes) in the iron with this combo. The MX5 actually out does my well liked Tesoros in the trash.
Re: The 6000 Pro XL and the re-named XL Pro
November 07, 2014 06:24AM
yes!..the mx-5 is well balanced with the 5.3 on board,very light,and a joy to swing.
will find stuff down to 8,or 9 " in the heavy junk,with decent audio.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Re: The 6000 Pro XL and the re-named XL Pro
November 08, 2014 01:59AM
Any thoughts on using a G2 with 5" coil?
November 09, 2014 02:43AM
I can go through and cherry pick as much as I want but there comes a time when I have to do as Ken and Hombre have already said and that is to start clearing out trash. It all masks. There more I take out every trip, the more I find the next time. And the more trash I get out the smaller the signal I can chase next time. Tom's article, 'Beneath the Mask" reinforces how much much masking is actually taking place. But trying to get below a heavy layer of aluminum trash really falls in the realm of the TDI. The TDI electrically lights up everything in the ground just like all the other detectors, but alot of response to aluminum can be mitgated by timing.

I really liked the TDI in high aluminum trash, especially where there are layers of years of Easter type foil trash to get in and below. I want to get another one.

HH
Mike
November 09, 2014 02:51AM
In my opinion the G2 with 5" coil does not have decent depth. Id's get inaccurate quickly
November 09, 2014 12:48PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> In my opinion the G2 with 5" coil does not have
> decent depth. Id's get inaccurate quickly

That's the info I want to hear! Thanks