Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Thoughts on Pulse Induction..in particular TDI SL

Posted by sekypaleo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Thoughts on Pulse Induction..in particular TDI SL
November 11, 2014 08:23PM
Have been thinking for several months now about getting my first PI machine. I have several sites of low to moderate mineralization that are plowed fields that I get no real depth with any VLF machines I am using (about 8" max in plowed ground)...thing is i KNOW there are relics deeper...this was confirmed on my last hunt in one of these sites that has been HEAVILY hunted for many many years...I mean pounded to death....and I found the CW Artilllery coat button at 1"...NO WAY this button was missed for 20+ years....had to have been brought up with plow. There has to be more relics below the plow line. I cannot afford a Minelab GPX 4800 or 5000....I can afford a Whites TDI SL....would like to hear input on how that machine would work for what I need and how it compares against the GPX's. What kind of depth could I see in mild ground on a standard 58 cal minie? Appreciate all help/comments.
Re: Thoughts on Pulse Induction..in particular TDI SL
November 11, 2014 08:41PM
I think for areas with low to moderate mineralization such as yours a Pi wouldn't be the best choice for deeper relics, Only in extreme mineralization then I would go with one of the upper end Pi models.

What I done for conditions such as yours, in low to moderate mineralization have started using the Blisstool. Currently with the v5 and feel this is by far my best choice of detector for these type of situations, After pounding to death open farm areas with the Deus and other top end detectors have been finishing up these sites with the bliss v5.

Currently working an 1850 settlement on farm land, It's my detector of choice for these type of situations and it's getting those deeper weaker signals.

My two cents worth, It's working for me for my type of ground.

Paul (Ca)
November 11, 2014 08:48PM
I enjoy my HHPI in doing light weight backup to the Excalibur, but it is no depth monster. I will not forget watching an elderly hunter dig an 18 inch nickel on the beach with his GPX. It didn't seem so attractive after that.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
November 11, 2014 10:47PM
I agree with Paul. Also remember, a PI is pretty much a dig it all proposition. That being the case, a good VLF in all metal mode will do about as well in low to moderate ground. For instance, I use the F75 in all metal with 13" Ultimate as a light weight alternative to a PI. And I still get the bonus of on meter VDI once I get the target into disc range.
November 12, 2014 12:01AM
I will cheerfully second Steve's opinion. I was going to jump in with a plug for the F-75 when I read the original post, but since Steve brought it up, the F-75 with the 13" Ultimate coil is the deepest detector in moderate to slightly more than moderate mineralization that I have ever used - and now they are "tame tigers" with the great improvements in EMI resistance which Fisher have made.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
November 12, 2014 01:00AM
Thanks for the honest thoughts guys...gonna hold off on a PI for awhile....instead gonna try my Nokta FORS CoRe in GEN (all metal), since like the F75 it also gives TID' in AM
November 12, 2014 01:25AM
Seko, that button may have been jostled or moved away from a piece of iron when the field was plowed. I just found a nice shallow LC that should have been detected these past years. The field was recently plowed shallow, for corn. I'd love for the farmer to plow the field with the biggest disc's he has....won't hold my breath though.
November 12, 2014 01:43AM
To see great results with a P.I. you need to have some harsh soil...

Keith
November 12, 2014 04:00AM
sekypaleo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the honest thoughts guys...gonna hold
> off on a PI for awhile....instead gonna try my
> Nokta FORS CoRe in GEN (all metal), since like the
> F75 it also gives TID' in AM

Absolutely! My FORS Gold with large coil is the cat's meow for the same reason.
November 12, 2014 09:15AM
I've used several of the PI machines and the TDI SL was NOT a favorite of mine. The regular TDI or the Pro is what you want instead of the SL. With that said...the TDI is an okay machine but there are some better PI machines on the market. I'm hearing the Garrett ATX is a step above the TDI but sandwiched between it and the GPX. You simply will not find a deeper machine than a GPX right now. In good or bad soil.

The F75 is a heavyweight for a VLF. IF you run it in all metal. The Ultimate coil is OK but the NEL Tornado is a much better coil than the Ultimate. It's quite a bit more stable and on my F75, punched several inches deeper than the Ultimate. I am on the verge of getting a detector again. I'm having a hard time deciding on just getting a regular F75 or trying one of the new ones. The first thing I will do is pair it with the NEL though. If I get one. I'm kinda wanting to try a CTX just to see what it's about. But I'm hoping to make it back to Virginia for a hunt and if I can't get a pulse machine for that...I know the F75 will do in a pinch where as the CTX might not cut the stuff.
November 12, 2014 11:01AM
Daniel, the 15x17" Nel?
November 12, 2014 01:24PM
I never did try the 15x17. I'm talking about the one that is the same size as the Ultimate. I think it is called the Tornado. I had both the Ultimate and got the NEL in the same size just to see what it was about...and it didn't take long to see which one was the better one. The NEL is shielded better...was more stable, and REALLY just impressed me. Which is hard to do.

I would really like to give a CTX a run but the more I think on the F75, the more I am swaying that way. Pending on what my Christmas bonus is at work this year, I may let that decide which one I get.
November 12, 2014 03:22PM
Although the ground is fairly mineralized in my area near my home, A Pi doesn't have the advantage it needs to get those signals masked by mineralization. It's higher up in elevation or on the west coast were I have problems. In my area a good VLF will punch though this fairly mineralized soil.

On another note, What we are noticing is the MineLab Explorer and even the CTX are falling short for relic hunting in our area. For deep turf park silver or ocean wet sand they are king, But today's top end faster processing machines for relic hunting are sailing past our Minelabs getting stuff our Minelabs are missing. It has to do with our mineralization, We hear and see the masking with our Explorers and CTX and it took a long time for a few of us to finally come to the conclusion our trusty Minelabs are only at their best for deep park silver or ocean wet sand.

With that said, For your type of low to moderate mineralization soil get a good VLF that's all you need.

Paul (Ca)
November 12, 2014 06:00PM
Looks like a NEL Tornado in my future. Thanks for the tip Daniel.

Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've used several of the PI machines and the TDI
> SL was NOT a favorite of mine. The regular TDI or
> the Pro is what you want instead of the SL. With
> that said...the TDI is an okay machine but there
> are some better PI machines on the market. I'm
> hearing the Garrett ATX is a step above the TDI
> but sandwiched between it and the GPX. You simply
> will not find a deeper machine than a GPX right
> now. In good or bad soil.
>
> The F75 is a heavyweight for a VLF. IF you run it
> in all metal. The Ultimate coil is OK but the NEL
> Tornado is a much better coil than the Ultimate.
> It's quite a bit more stable and on my F75,
> punched several inches deeper than the Ultimate.
> I am on the verge of getting a detector again. I'm
> having a hard time deciding on just getting a
> regular F75 or trying one of the new ones. The
> first thing I will do is pair it with the NEL
> though. If I get one. I'm kinda wanting to try a
> CTX just to see what it's about. But I'm hoping to
> make it back to Virginia for a hunt and if I can't
> get a pulse machine for that...I know the F75 will
> do in a pinch where as the CTX might not cut the
> stuff.
November 12, 2014 07:08PM
For what's it's worth, I have the NEL Sharpshooter for my F75Se and it's a great coil. Guess I gotta get me a Tornado now !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2014 01:21AM by therover61.
November 12, 2014 08:53PM
I echo the "Thanks for the tip, Daniel". I was trying to decide between these two myself.

HH
Mike
November 12, 2014 10:39PM
Ok, it's the 12x13 tornado by Nel.
November 13, 2014 01:02AM
The 12x13 Tornado was a depth demon on the E-Tracs and would unmask better than the stock coil .
November 13, 2014 03:39PM
Tornado is a great coil for low tide hunting. It is waterproof and the 13" Ultimate isn't. Know of several that have failed after using it in the surf. Cable on NEL is waaaay to thick for the in shaft Minelab.
November 15, 2014 01:24PM
If you arent getting any depth in low mineralization with a VLF..... ask yourself why? Now do you really what a dig it all machine?

Dew
November 16, 2014 01:54AM
The problem is getting depth in fresh plowed fields, not hard packed soil