Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

stuff you find in a field....

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
stuff you find in a field....
November 30, 2014 01:11AM
Got out this afternoon for a couple hours with Ozzie in a big snowcovered field with soybean stubble. Nice balmy 31 or so degrees. Ozzie was using F75Ltd ver 1 with 11" coil and I had the G2 with ultimate 13. The snow cover created quite a challenge, with every potential target requiring kicking away the snow layer to try to get a more consistent hi/low tone or ID. Made for messy, slow going.

He found a good luck charm early on....half way through he was moaning about it failing him. Then he finds a high grade 1854 half dime with the variety where the date is punched into the bottom of Miss Liberty...he is moaning no more.

I found bullets, a button, and a couple wheats shown, but more interested in anyone's help in telling me what type of weight this is (assuming it is just a weight). It is non magnetic, but definitely a bluish hue, and flaky. I assumed if it was old lead it would just be white like old bullets I have found.

an odd thing about this field...apparently the turkeys had quite an uprising there, as we kept finding bird bands all over the place.

Here's the pic.

Re: stuff you find in a field....
November 30, 2014 03:05AM
Ha!, Rod, I like reading about myself,.... great pics! Rod about covered it but I'll just add a word, or ninety.

The poultry bands were reading low 60's jumping down into the high 50's and back...I dug many of these at the lower end of this field and I believe Rod did also.

As we was loosing light, I called to Rod "Ya ready to call it a day" "Ready when you are" he said.

I was walking faster than normal towards the truck, skipping space on the swings, in all metal mode, when I got a shallow 62 in the poultry band area. If it would have jumped down into the 50's, I would have proceeded to the truck. It stayed dead 62 around the target...ah what the heck, last target of the day, and steady i.d. Sunk the shovel barley a couple inches and lightly flipped it over and there at the bottom of the little plug was the tiny half dime. Good deal.
One acre down 60 to go....what do ya say Rod? Lets hit it before the frost makes it too much like work.
Re: stuff you find in a field....
November 30, 2014 03:14AM
Love those half dimes! It was a bit warmer here in MI, too warm if you ask me, it made for some muddy huntin'. Glad you guys made it out!