Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Factory Direct

Posted by Steve Herschbach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Factory Direct
January 09, 2015 08:30PM
You would think as a dealer for 35 years I would be the last guy to advocate factory direct metal detector sales. The reality is most small towns have no dealer within a reasonable distance except perhaps Walmart. I will not get hands on with much I am interested in there and zero knowledge from staff. Half the so-called dealers seem to work out of a garage or basement or even the back of a pickup. Frankly, I do not want to visit your house and go down to the basement to see an inventory smaller than what I personally own myself.

There are the coin dealers and gun shops that decided it would be nice to make a few bucks selling detectors. The owners half the time know nothing about the product. Genuine small stores with regular hours, decent inventory, and knowledgeable staff are near non-existent. The reality already is the best most of us can do is find a good online dealer with good inventory who ships quick and backs up the sale.

That being the case the first manufacturer that just cuts out the middleman and splits the difference between dealer cost and retail will make more money selling us product for less by cutting out the extra fingers in the pie. It is inevitable it will happen just a matter of when. I would love to see a company do the Dell thing where I can order the detector online, choose my color, choose my coil, maybe get my name pinstriped on it, and delivered to my doorstep.
Re: Factory Direct
January 09, 2015 08:46PM
here is what happened to me TODAY. Called Kellyco and asked them when the ne fors Core with new switches /buttons was going to be available. He had no idea what I was talking about. Think they are the dist. for nokta. Goes to show you....
January 09, 2015 09:22PM
Have to agree with you Steve - as a relatively 'newbie' - bought my first machine 3 years ago and have owned 8 in that short time. All of my transactions have been through online sources until I drove 1.5 hours to trade a few machines and cash for the F75 I have now. Great dealer, very knowledgeable and a large stock of new and used machines on hand. So many machines that I had only read about or had seen photos of on ebay, etc - it was a great experience that I will rarely have the time to travel and repeat.

I now feel I have a fair grasp on the technology and industry - primarily through the generosity and knowledge of those on this forum. The dialogue here with professionals, dealers and manufacturers is of such a high quality that I am confident in the decisions to purchase enough to deal directly with a manufacturer. I wish the dealer I visited was closer, as his knowledge and advice were very valuable, but reality is I'd rather spend those precious hours in the field.

My continued thanks to all who post here.

Rick
January 09, 2015 09:25PM
I like that idea, Steve.
January 09, 2015 09:35PM
I don't know. Factory Direct limits me to only that mfg. A good stocking (key word is stocking) dealership, brick and mortar or online is a big plus. Bill Crabtree is a good example. When he was running Surfscanners, he had all kinds of stuff. When I had a little extra money I'd call him just to find out what he might have laying around in his back room that might interest me. Bought several that way that I might not have ever tried just because he had them around and made me a good deal.

But you are right, not that many stocking dealerships around locally except for a Whites dealer that doesn't deal. So all my purchases are online.

HH
Mike
January 09, 2015 10:53PM
I have found Don at North Georgia Relics to be the lowest priced on detectors,coils,and all else and postage paid.Have bought 5 detectors from him in past 2 years.Beat everyone else by a mile.
January 09, 2015 11:06PM
Great dealers are just that - great. You would always have both.

Think Troy detectors, online, direct. Be the only way to go I would think for somebody like that.