Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First real hunt with the F75

Posted by Pac man 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First real hunt with the F75
January 22, 2015 01:34PM
Weather has been nasty around here but had a few days when it was really nice. But trying to catch up on things did not leave much time to hunt.

I have not been overly impressed with the air test numbers I have gotten compared to what others have posted but in the little time that I have spent hunting has clearly showed that my worries were unfounded.

Most of the places I hunt close to home the ground is so saturated that every hole fills with water. I knew of a place in town that had and older home that was tore down about 6 months back and was on higher ground. I had not hunted it before. There was a lot of dirt disturbed by dozers and trackhoes while tearing out the old foundations. That can be good and bad. Some times the older deeper stuff gets pulled to the top and just the opposite for the newer stuff on top. Junk aplenty as always.

Using the Nel Sharpshooter I dug a lot of small deep targets down to 9" one clad dime and two 70s memorials plus various other small items mostly junk including two jacks that were evey bit of 6" deep which are hard targets to say the least. Most of the junk I knew it was junk when I dug it. Mostly trying to check what kind of depth I could get. I think that there should be some silver there but weeds had taken over after the house was removed and until it gets mowed I may never know.

I stayed in DE 3 tones, 4-disc and 90 sens . I did venture into bp a couple times but with all the trash its response was a little to slow. Tried FA and not sure if I have a problem with it or what but it seems to have a lot of noise to it. The machine I returned and was replaced had several problems with one being that there was no way anyone could hunt it in FA. Solid static for lack of better description.

Having never used an F75 before I really like the easy to read screen .don't need my glasses,and simple but effective menu.

Long and short is that I am happy with the depth that I am getting and doubt that I should expect much more from any of the other machines presently on the market.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 03:55PM by Pac man.
Re: First real hunt with the F7
January 22, 2015 02:29PM
Hey Pac man.
You say FA has a lot of noise. Was that with the coil well up off the ground? My FA is whisper quiet until I put it on the ground (unless there is EMI, as in some locations). Lots of trash and good stuff will really sound off if that's what you've got, so in a highly concentrated target environment, it's gonna be noisy. I believe FA has faster detuning so it can more quickly report the next target, so this can give the appearance of more "noise."
In case of EMI, frequency shifting can SOMETIMES eliminate the noise, but other times no frequency offset seems to help.

I've hunted some in FA and probably should do more, but I also use FA to check behind mixed signals I get in bP or JE.
I rarely use DE. Perhaps my bad? I'm often swinging over tall grass or weeds or stubble so I often use bP. JE seems to act a bit livelier to me than DE, so that is generally what I fall back to from bP.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?