Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

All metal hunters ?

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
All metal hunters ?
January 23, 2015 12:40AM
Just got my 75 back. Like what little I have played with it. My question is when all metal guys hunt which mode do you leave from the disc side or does it matter to you. The book says bp and cl carry over slow response and less noise. Wouldnt it be best to use one of these deeper modes. Oh yea another question which is preferred 9.0 or 9.1 and is the book right or wrong with 9.0 being DST on. Man my only wish is they would have told you which is which and show which is on without cutting machine off and on. I am determined to learn to hunt all metal so that being said I have a huge patch of woods near city that is bound to have some sort of civil war activity just because of location and size. So would this be a good place to all metal and start walking or would you discriminate. Thanks for all input.

Brian.
Re: All metal hunters ?
January 23, 2015 01:14AM
I usually use all metal on a machine as a way to get more or whats left...

say you have spots that your or others or both have dug items out fo for years and the finds have dried up....well all metla will rpovide more depth past a disc circuit depth so theres a option if the area is not so litered with small iron debris to cause counterproductive hunts,,,

Then theres areas that the dirt is so bad that the disc jsut cant pucj down to a target at say 5 inches wihtout calling it iron....This is where all metla will help you hear the ROUND sounds of good targets and you cna dig down till you cna get a I.d. or a visual on the target..

I also like to use all metal to to look for distrubed ground like backfill areas and such....

All metal has lots of uses but usually its for areas that has quit producing in disc or cant produce in disc because of soil...or your after some small stuff the machine cant hear in Disc also like prospecting...

I also like all metal for certian iron implements from the Civil War...they were made of excellent steel and disc circuits reject them clean ...

Keith

Keith
January 23, 2015 03:06AM
Keith
Ok that does make since. I'm basically going to be walking around "blind" looking so I will use the disc side with low disc. What's your thought on which mode to be in on the disc side when going to AM.

Brian
January 23, 2015 03:22AM
I love the At Gold in all metal it has a lot to say so you have to look at the meter and decide what you want to dig but I have dug some very very deep targets with that machine..But now am using the Deus and want to do a side by side hunt to compair targets with both machines...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 23, 2015 03:55AM
I like 2F for scouting out new areas....

on the F75 se V2 use zero disc...2F....BP ...99 gain if quiet.....

with these settings you will find prducitve sites..

Keith
January 23, 2015 07:51AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I also like to use all metal to to look for
> distrubed ground like backfill areas and such....
>
> I also like all metal for certian iron implements
> from the Civil War...they were made of excellent
> steel and disc circuits reject them clean ...

Keith, please explain how all metal is better than disc for identifying disturbed ground.

And I don't understand the all metal vs disc re the civil war iron. If you set the disc low enough, won't you see the iron you're looking for? And I don't have experience with this, but isn't it possible to reject nails/small iron and still report on larger iron such as the implements you seek?

Just trying to learn something here. As always.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
January 23, 2015 09:47AM
In all metal, you are listening to the humm of the threshold. When the machine is balanced correctly, the threshold stays smooth and steady. When you hit pockets of ground that are disturbed, the machine will let you know via being able to hear the threshold going silent or when you start getting ghost "hollow" sounding positive signals. Basically it let's you know the ground has changed and that the machine is out of balance for the ground. You can tell this much faster and better via all metal vs disc mode. Actually in some cases, the disc mode user might not recognize this change at all. Some machines will give a hollow "boing" signal over disturbed ground or hot rocks/hot spots.

And on rejection of iron...it depends on the detector and how large the iron discrimination range is. On some machines like the F75, the iron range is very small. Meaning if you knock out iron, it's the whole range of iron. From nails to artillery shell frags. You might intend to know a square nail out...and end up also rejecting gun parts, and things like that. In this way, the T2 has an expanded iron range...meaning you could knock out a nail and still get larger iron. You can still tell what is probably iron and what is not by the all metal signal. And in all metal you can size the object up as well. I'm liking the 5900 for that purpose alone...great machine for finding iron relics. I may take it to VA with me and try to find a shell.
January 23, 2015 10:56AM
Even water hunting AM gives you a LOT of information that disc doesnt. I listen for patches of mineral and a real smooth spot might mean to much new sand. When targets seem to be few i listen for areas with concentrations of heavy iron targets which might produce. No disc gives me a bit more depth because i can turn up the sensitivity. I check a few more of those DEEP/WEAK iron targets because not all those targets are iron. I can also hear near targets better without the recovery time it takes in disc mode.

Dew
January 23, 2015 12:20PM
What mode do you come over from disc side. It mentions carryover from BP and cache "slower response less noise" would this be prefered to say de or Je mode as far as depth and performance in the AM side. Would like to say there is a world of difference in the responses from you guys vs some other forums. It's like scientist here vs preschool on others. Only trying to compliment here