Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX W/STOCK COIL IS SMOKIN THE DEUS W/9" COIL IN IRON

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX W/STOCK COIL IS SMOKIN THE DEUS W/9" COIL IN IRON
November 10, 2014 07:22PM
I've been hunting 2 sites (an 1840s/50s and an 1880s/90s site nearly overlapping each other) for the past week with the CTX 3030 in a field where I used the Deus 4 or 5 times until the point that it (the Deus) wasn't producing anything more than iron signals while using 3 different Modified Programs

I am really REALLY starting to like this CTX more so than I 1st thought I did! ---- I have about 500 hrs use on it now (since last spring) VS a good 1000 hrs with the Deus in 2 yrs

I couldn't find a single thing in either site with the Deus the last 2 times I took it in there so I decided to try the CTX with stock coil and for the past week my efforts have paid off pretty good (as shown below)

Haven't found anything mind blowing but the fact that I've pulled 12 buttons (1 very tiny one) 3 coins, and some other very tiny items in the mix of machine gun iron at depths approaching 10" with the CTX AFTER the Deus quit finding anything at all - is absolutely astounding in my opinion!

1889 Injun
dateless Fatty Injun
Civil war store card

12 Buttons INC. a Colonial Tombac which is almost unheard of here in Michigan ;-)
(the squashed button has an eagle on it but is in such bad cond. I can't make much out on it although I believe it is "pre-civil war" from the design of the eagle - most likely militia)!

and some misc. snaps, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 12:01PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: CTX W/STOCK COIL IS SMOKIN THE DEUS W/9" COIL IN IRON
November 10, 2014 07:26PM
Wow that is great maybe you have a hot machine or some of the other relic hunters don't program it the way you do..it will be interesting to see what Keith has to say since he has so many detectors...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 10, 2014 07:36PM
First, congrats on your finds! That is great. The CTX is a very capable machine. (Just wish it was half the weight.)

I loved the CTX more than the Deus, but I wonder if your programs on the Deus were not optimal because after hunting with both, I can't imagine the stock coil on the CTX outdoing a 9" coil on any fast machine, much less a Deus. Do you mind sharing your settings? Curious about the depth as well, as there is where, in my ground, the Deus was good but not near the CTX.

Albert
November 10, 2014 07:38PM
wonder what the results would be if you used the 3030 first , then the Deus, maybe even more impressive. Some one else could have had different results using the Deus
November 10, 2014 07:39PM
Great finds Wayne...

easy on the title of your post...LOL....

no Its great your enjoying the CTX..I think the CTX is the most versatile detector made...i also have seen the CTX with 6 inch coil find things no other machine will hear in iron sites....

Yet the DEUS can also see things in iron with 9 inch coils the Ctx can'tsee with stock coil...

Now the CTX will offer better I.D. but the DEUS will be more of if it's iron or not and just dig...

if i was in a mixed period site and had the CTX and DEUS i would use the CTX
.if i was in a 1850s iron infestation site without modern trash i would use the DEUS..

if I could only have one detector it would be the CTX it's the APEX cz for doing it all well.

Keith
November 10, 2014 07:59PM
Hobo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wonder what the results would be if you used the
> 3030 first , then the Deus, maybe even more
> impressive. Some one else could have had different
> results using the Deus

The Deus found it's share of targets in BOTH sites = believe me

but after 4 or 5 times of pounding them anywhere from 4 to 8 hrs each time -- neither site was giving up anything more to the Deus

From memory - the Deus found 5 or 6 Injuns (1860s ~ 1890s) 4 or 5 buttons - a skeleton key, 2 toe taps, a couple harmonica reeds, a German silver suspender clip, and several misc. bits & pieces of copper & brass stuff over the course of the 4 or 5 hunts --- but --- it just quit picking up on anything more :-/

That's when I broke out the CTX and pulled all the above in the last week (3 different hunts so far)

The "Key" is the "Depth" more than anything I believe --- most of these finds were 6" and deeper (up to around 10")

the Deus was pulling stuff at up to 6" or so for the most part

it's a tuff site (one site almost overlaps the other) and there's power lines (big towers) so EMI is ever present AND there's a TON of iron (constant machine gun) type

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2014 08:04PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
November 10, 2014 10:38PM
The CTX probably likes the ground conditions there.

As with the E-trac, I sometimes switch to Auto Sensitivity to see how high Auto is running to get a general idea of the ground conditions.

If Auto Sensitivity is running in the mid 20s, then manual sensitivity in the-mid-to upper 20s can detect some of those deeper targets. But if Auto is running in the single digits, manual sensitivity will still pick up small targets near the surface, but will probably miss deep targets, or will not be able to identify the target’s Target ID value with any accuracy at depth.

I guess that’s one of the advantages of being proficient in more than one detector. If ground conditions adversely effects one detector, another detector might not be so adversely effected.

Well anyway, congrats on the finds.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
November 11, 2014 12:10AM
I use both machines mentioned a lot and am not surprised at all. I am constantly amazed at how small of targets thew CTX 17" coil will hit, at depth even and how well it does in trash for such a large coil and such a slow processor .
November 11, 2014 12:59AM
MRH....good post and nice finds.

Gotta say, nothing can surpass the amount of time you have on both machines. Proof positive you know the CTX and Deus well, and that CTX is clicking in your hands.
November 11, 2014 01:12AM
I had two CTX's and three Deus's. I don't think either really out performs the other. They each have their strong suit and perform very well when used for that purpose. Many people out there prefer to own them both. But due to a bad shoulder I only use the Deus now. I hunted one behind the other in different orders and I always found missed targets.I do believe the CTX is deeper, but not by that much. And I have dug many targets with the Deus deeper than 6 inches. Maybe it is the dirt. Maybe it is the 11 inch coil. But I would never be afraid to hunt behind anyone if I am swinging either one.
November 11, 2014 11:36AM

Keith Southern Wrote:

Great finds Wayne... easy on the title of your post...LOL....

No, Its great your enjoying the CTX.. I think the CTX is the most versatile detector made... i also have seen the CTX with 6 inch coil find things no other machine will hear in iron sites.... Yet the DEUS can also see things in iron with 9 inch coils the Ctx can'tsee with stock coil... Now the CTX will offer better I.D. but the DEUS will be more of if it's iron or not and just dig... if i was in a mixed period site and had the CTX and DEUS i would use the CTX. If i was in a 1850s iron infestation site without modern trash i would use the DEUS.. if I could only have one detector it would be the CTX it's the APEX cz for doing it all well.

Keith

Thanks Keith

I knew you'd understand that my post really ISN'T a slam on the Deus (as we all know I love mine!)

but

more so a post to help open the eyes of those who have fallen into that trap of "X machine is the best"!

goodmore Wrote:
I had two CTX's and three Deus's. I don't think either really out performs the other. They each have their strong suit and perform very well when used for that purpose. Many people out there prefer to own them both. But due to a bad shoulder I only use the Deus now. I hunted one behind the other in different orders and I always found missed targets.I do believe the CTX is deeper, but not by that much. And I have dug many targets with the Deus deeper than 6 inches. Maybe it is the dirt. Maybe it is the 11 inch coil. But I would never be afraid to hunt behind anyone if I am swinging either one.

Exactly Goodmore (this is my 2nd CTX and 2nd Deus too)

I use the Deus in most sites 1st and then follow up with the CTX

each machine has it's strong point/s and its weakness/es and that's exactly what my post above is showing

The intent/purpose of my post is not a biased opinion nor a slam on the Deus even if my "title" gives off that impression (as it seems to have done according to a few replies here)! lol

therover61 Wrote:
MRH....good post and nice finds.

Gotta say, nothing can surpass the amount of time you have on both machines. Proof positive you know the CTX and Deus well, and that CTX is clicking in your hands.

Thanks Rover61

I love BOTH machines but I truly wish XP would get with the program and offer us a smaller coil for the Deus at the least!

The CTX is an incredible machine when you really get to know it --- it takes a lot longer than the Deus to understand and truthfully - even the Etrac was easier to get to know than the CTX but there are differences that make this machine a lot more accurate in the field and to help the user see what's going on in the ground below (the Target Trace Feature) for one ;-)

Digs_alot Wrote:
The CTX probably likes the ground conditions there.

As with the E-trac, I sometimes switch to Auto Sensitivity to see how high Auto is running to get a general idea of the ground conditions.

If Auto Sensitivity is running in the mid 20s, then manual sensitivity in the-mid-to upper 20s can detect some of those deeper targets. But if Auto is running in the single digits, manual sensitivity will still pick up small targets near the surface, but will probably miss deep targets, or will not be able to identify the target’s Target ID value with any accuracy at depth.

I guess that’s one of the advantages of being proficient in more than one detector. If ground conditions adversely effects one detector, another detector might not be so adversely effected.

Well anyway, congrats on the finds.

Good point/s Digs_alot

and very true. I believe the ground conditions had a big part in it.

I think that's where FBS comes into play and is hard to beat with just a single freq. machine

and for the record - the sens was running in auto but the #s where in the low teens mostly (sometimes near 20 at most)

it's a tuff site to hunt in all aspects!

earthmansurfer Wrote:
First, congrats on your finds! That is great. The CTX is a very capable machine. (Just wish it was half the weight.)

I loved the CTX more than the Deus, but I wonder if your programs on the Deus were not optimal because after hunting with both, I can't imagine the stock coil on the CTX outdoing a 9" coil on any fast machine, much less a Deus. Do you mind sharing your settings? Curious about the depth as well, as there is where, in my ground, the Deus was good but not near the CTX.

Thanks Albert

the settings I was using were:

fast on - deep off - combined fe/co tone ID - target trace on - auto sens +3 - normal response - relic mode modified to a wide open screen/NO disc at all to allow the audio gate let everything come through and avoid nulling - the rest of the settings don't really matter and are user preference for the most part (target vol. threshold, etc.)...

silverhound Wrote:
I use both machines mentioned a lot and am not surprised at all. I am constantly amazed at how small of targets thew CTX 17" coil will hit, at depth even and how well it does in trash for such a large coil and such a slow processor .

The processor isn't really all that slow SilverHound ;-)

Slower than the Deus? Sure, but much faster than a lot of current machines on the market

and/but yes - the size of targets the CTX can/does find (even in the mix of iron at depth) is truly amazing - very impressive for sure!

Happy hunting all!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 12:19PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
November 11, 2014 06:52PM
Thanks for the settings. Yeah, it isn't rocket science with the CTX (or any of the FBS machines) and that is one thing I LOVED about them. Just great depth out of the box.
And so much fun to hunt with - I loved the sounds, target trace, etc.

I see you mentioned it was mostly deeper targets the CTX won out over and that I BELIEVE for sure. Miss that CTX, I really do hope they release a light CTX like machine eventually.
A CTX in a Deus like package (folding, but not wireless) is what I hope for. Something to put in a backpack (like a Deus).

Thanks,
Albert
January 25, 2015 11:57AM
Had to revisit this one = I am just itching to get back to this site in the spring to see what other buttons I can find ;-)
January 25, 2015 02:02PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
> A CTX in a Deus like package (folding, but not
> wireless) is what I hope for. Something to put in
> a backpack (like a Deus).
>
> Thanks,
> Albert

Something like this:

[www.aka-detectors.com]

Aka is bringing at least one of their new models 2015 with foltable stem. See that lock or something near the handle, it will make the hole middle and lower stem to collapse to a neat package.

See the picture of the collapsed stem from their Facebook page: [www.facebook.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2015 02:07PM by Etsija82.
January 25, 2015 03:55PM
Etsija82 Wrote:

Something like this:
>
> [www.aka-detectors.com]
> 014/04/t72.png
>
> Aka is bringing at least one of their new models
> 2015 with foltable stem. See that lock or
> something near the handle, it will make the hole
> middle and lower stem to collapse to a neat
> package.
>
> See the picture of the collapsed stem from their
> Facebook page:
> [www.facebook.com]
> =page_internal
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I were going to get a AKA machine = I'd get the Aka Signum MFT 7272M with the Universal multi frequency 9.5"x12.5" search coil with 3 switchable frequencies - 3, 7, 14 kHz

it's a pretty cool set up - the coil cable is fed thru a toggle switch that you toggle between freq. desired as needed

the signum actually sounds very close to a ML machine too and I'd love to try that hodograph feature!

I've watched some of the vids Gary across the big pond over in the UK has done with the AKA's and the signum looks like a killer machine (very deep) too.

[www.akadetectors.com]
January 25, 2015 04:18PM
Hi Wayne,,,,You must of went out during the warm up in November.....Terrific finds now I getting rid of my Deus and check out the AKA.....Minelab is the only company that I can think of that's actually making machines heavier.... JJ
January 25, 2015 05:12PM
Great saves. Iam a firm believer in having multiple machines. It just seems like you can hunt a site out with one machine and then grab your other machine and it just seems to reopen sites again at times You have probably the best 1 , 2 punch as far as machines go for your style of hunting. Minelabs are deep seekers too Iont know if the Deus can match it at depth? Congrats on the sweet saves. Corey. P.s. I had the etrac and f75 for several years I had great success with those 2 machines complementing each other. Know with the V3i I am doing very good with it but am thinking on getting the new f75 to do clean up work or vise versa.
January 25, 2015 05:57PM

jimmyjiver wrote
----------------------------------------------------

Hi Wayne,,,,You must of went out during the warm up in November.....Terrific finds now I getting rid of my Deus and check out the AKA.....Minelab is the only company that I can think of that's actually making machines heavier.... JJ

Sounds good Jimmy - I'd like to see your detailed evaluation/report of the AKA if you decide to get one because we both live here in Mi and our soil is similar (a little more sandy/loamy on this side here) but overall close and it would give me a good idea on how well it would work/run in my dirt ;-)

docbars Wrote:

Great saves. I am a firm believer in having multiple machines. It just seems like you can hunt a site out with one machine and then grab your other machine and it just seems to reopen sites again at times You have probably the best 1 , 2 punch as far as machines go for your style of hunting. Minelabs are deep seekers too I don't know if the Deus can match it at depth?

Congrats on the sweet saves.

Corey.

P.s. I had the etrac and f75 for several years I had great success with those 2 machines complementing each other. Know with the V3i I am doing very good with it but am thinking on getting the new f75 to do clean up work or vise versa.

Thanks Doc and no - the Deus can't match/beat the CTX for depth. I mean - the Deus has decent depth but it's not Minelab deep!

I'm glad to hear you're doing good with the V3i

I've always wanted to try a V3i as I've seen some of the guys who use them heavily & know them inside & out do very well with them. I know YOU do pretty good with yours - I remember seeing that post you did just a month back or so with all the good stuff in it!

As they say = "keep it swinging"!
January 25, 2015 06:13PM
Hi,,hey Wayne you have been doing exceptionally well....I'm totally undecided on what machine/machines I will be getting as of yet....The only thing I know for sure is I'm getting one or two new ones....LoL....Is this hobby not crazily addicting?..LoL... I'm always thinking there's got to be something better, then end up running my older technology machines....JJ
January 25, 2015 08:59PM
Having a rather low depth limit for ID the Deus will easily lose to several competitors when minerals get higher and finds are deeper.

Goes to show. Best detector some places and for some applications may not be the best other places or/and for other applications.

When iron trash is extremely high and magnetic minerals are high. Places where the deus finds the most finds others dont see. How many finds do you think is still there that no detector see ?
January 25, 2015 09:03PM

jimmyjiver Wrote:

Hi,,hey Wayne you have been doing exceptionally well....I'm totally undecided on what machine/machines I will be getting as of yet....The only thing I know for sure is I'm getting one or two new ones....LoL....Is this hobby not crazily addicting?..LoL...

I'm always thinking there's got to be something better, then end up running my older technology machines....

JJ

"Addicting" is an understatement Jimmy!
January 25, 2015 11:29PM

OldandBold Wrote:

Having a rather low depth limit for ID the Deus will easily lose to several competitors when minerals get higher and finds are deeper.

Goes to show. Best detector some places and for some applications may not be the best other places or/and for other applications.

When iron trash is extremely high and magnetic minerals are high. Places where the deus finds the most finds others dont see.

How many finds do you think is still there that no detector see ?

I'm sure many more Old&Bold

and I'm gonna try like hell to find more come spring after the farmer plows that field up once again!

Honestly - I don't really care about the finds (what they are or aren't or if they're really good or not) -- it's whether or not I can actually find MORE in a place I've pounded to death and that quit producing is what drives me these days - it's not the actual "finds"!

I'll be taking at least one or 2 new machines in there to test come this spring though (as well as) the CTX and Deus again too :-)