Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

X-terra 705,... flavour of the month.

Posted by scoopjohnb 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
X-terra 705,... flavour of the month.
March 10, 2015 06:50AM
You know, we all talk about high powered/sensitive detectors, EMI, ground noise, masking, etc. etc.

And I'm sure we've all got various detectors that can drive you completely crazy with the small finds they produce,
the non stop barrage of audio in iron, the depth they dig coins, and more breath taking results in either trash or depth.

This months flavour is back to the X-terra 705,... I'm giving the F19 a rest, collecting my thoughts.
It's a very powerfull little unit that pulls amazingly small stuff out of the ground, while just using a 9V battery, 2 knobs and a few push buttons.

Why back to the 705?
When I could be using my F75 Ltd, CTX in that sportsfield I'm detecting at the moment?

Well sometimes you just want Egg and Chips,... nothing fancy,... just a plain old enjoyable meal.
Same with the X-terra 705.

Switch on, 2 tones, check for max EMI sens, auto noise cancel, auto ground balance, a few sweeps,... adjust sens for minimal falsing,... AND away you go.
A very enjoyable experience!!

That is untill you hit that first silver signal which turns out to be a GRENADE!

Pfewwwww,... not a live one just a practise grenade,...

X-terra 705 and grenades,... flavour of the month :-)

HH
Johnb
Re: X-terra 705,... flavour of the month
March 10, 2015 01:16PM
I have never used a 705 but have read tons of good reports - in many ways it is Minelabs MXT. A do all detector that is simple straight forward and gets the job done. Jack of all trades master of none but pretty close.

You made me think with your comments on size - I remember digging like crazy once frustrated because I could not find my target then to find it was buckshot. Kind of wish detectors had a size selector. Today nothing smaller then a dime please.

Love the grenade glad it was practice only.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: X-terra 705,... flavour of the month.
March 10, 2015 02:31PM
705 gives you the option to use 3 different coils with 3 different frequencies and having used one its a nice unit in a light package...providing there is not a handgrenade in your area...
March 10, 2015 03:28PM
where that hell do you hunt dude?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 10, 2015 04:19PM
Simplicity is fun! The xterras are some of the most underrated machines. Possibly the most features per dollar. Just look what you get with just the 305. Another machine that doesn't get much credit is the M6.
March 10, 2015 04:46PM
I just got tired of finding all those grenades.
March 10, 2015 06:23PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> where that hell do you hunt dude?

Actually this place has seen a lot of millitary acticity.

During WWI it served as a prisoner of war camp, then it was transformed into a munitions depot during WWII.
After WWII it served as a combined munitions depot and officers training school.

The officers school became defunct round about 2000 and from then on it serves as a small nature reserve and fire department training school.
The sports fields and obstacle courses have become public property, riding mountainbikes, running track etc.

The outer perimeter around the muntions depot is a public area for walking in the pine forrest

The inner perimeter containing the old munitions bunkers are a nature reserve, containing deer, wild hogs, foxes, etc.
The small lakes within contain crystal clear water and some nice carp and predatory fish like pike and perch.

At the moment I'm detecting the large track field and finding all kinds of weird stuff.
From dummy bullets, fired blanks, practice grenades, a variety of non descriptive buttons to all things track and sports related.
Shoe studs, copper wire and the omnipresent pulltab ??

I've got a good feeling about this place, a ring should be hiding there somewhere.

A few times a year dad hunts the place for wild hogs,... the only place they actually fire back at you :-)

HH
Johnb
Re: X-terra 705,... flavour of the month
March 10, 2015 06:47PM
When your out with one of those buckshot finding detectors.
The kind that find stuff smaller than the pinpointer can even signal on,... don't get all frustrated.

Grab a bit of dirt containing the find and dump in your large finds bag.
At home, dump the dirt in the goldpan and go prospecting in the garage :-)

When you pick out a small gold earring from all that metal scrap you've dug, that's when the frustation starts!
Where did I get that???

I always wonder how prospectors do it like Steve Herschbach, do they actually located every piece of iron scrap in the field??

Bryannagirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never used a 705 but have read tons of good
> reports - in many ways it is Minelabs MXT. A do
> all detector that is simple straight forward and
> gets the job done. Jack of all trades master of
> none but pretty close.
>
> You made me think with your comments on size - I
> remember digging like crazy once frustrated
> because I could not find my target then to find it
> was buckshot. Kind of wish detectors had a size
> selector. Today nothing smaller then a dime
> please.
>
> Love the grenade glad it was practice only.

HH
Johnb
March 10, 2015 09:15PM
I recenty bought a nice Xterra 70 with 3 coils (stock 9" 7.5kHz, 9" 3 kHz, 5"x10" 18.75 kHz) and am anxiously waiting for the snow to melt and the ground to thaw to try it out. I have read & heard good things about the Xterra 705 and the 70. Glad the grenade you found wasn't a live one.
March 10, 2015 10:00PM
One of my biggest mistakes...okay I have so many......was selling my xterra 705. That detector was impressive.
March 10, 2015 10:01PM
I have a friend that swears the X705 (or X505) is the greatest relic hunting machine since sliced bread....BUT only if using the 6" HF coil.

What say you Xterra people???
March 10, 2015 10:31PM
I previously owned the 705 with far too many coils.
Trying to figure out what worked for my detecting situation.

A lot of our coinage is of medium to low conductivity, so after a while the Elliptical HF coil was my favourite.
It fits in between maize stubble and doesn't false too much on flat iron or bottlecaps.

A park hunt with the 9" Concentric MF coil will have you digging deep holes in low mineralisation. It's also a great vacuum for
modern coins at Tot Lots.

HH
Johnb