Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

new Minelabs look interesting...

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
new Minelabs look interesting...
March 02, 2015 05:00AM
[md-hunter.com]

Wonder how well they will work and with square coils. Nice and light and different.

Rick
Re: new Minelabs look interesting...
March 02, 2015 09:14AM
And it's a mono coil.
March 02, 2015 01:09PM
should do well ,looks light too .
no wifi phones seen yet.
at last they did away with 3 bits of tubing with spring loaded catches and locking collets
March 02, 2015 01:19PM
leaves US makers in the dust again
March 02, 2015 02:08PM
Maybe - but design and function and performance are three legs of the stool. If it is a stong performer and easy to use (it is already a cool design) then you will be right. Garrett, First Texas, and Whites combined would be a formidable. Sorry Tesoro you as well - so many of the pros on this site own your product I think you must have something the others lack.

diggers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> leaves US makers in the dust again

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
March 02, 2015 10:36PM
They are only entry level machines. The design is great. I hope they make a more advanced model in the same package. I hear they only get a coin at 6-7" deep. Entry level.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
March 03, 2015 11:01AM
6 to 7 inches on a coin is all even the eTrac and CTX can do in the ground here with stock coils. Very eye opening to how the soil can make or break a machine.

The GoFind series is an interesting sounding platform of machines.
March 03, 2015 05:13PM
Although I suspect the Go-Find's will be great for what they are (low end/entry level machines), in the larger scheme of things, I suspect this will be the future trend of Minelab machines, and these Go-Finds are more the mules to get the higher end units going.

Interesting that they're doing smartphone apps with these, and I know in the past we've mentioned on here (probably prompted by Dues discussions) that it'll only be a matter of time until someone makes a smartphone a detector/tool. As powerful as new smartphones are, they could easily be programmed to run a detecting app with BT headphones and coil (delay issues aside).

Anyhow, the proof will be in the pudding...interesting machines, great to see new technology being pushed, but how will they perform in the field?
March 03, 2015 05:20PM
Go Find....simple name. The 7000's should be called 'Go Fund'
March 03, 2015 05:25PM
I think you are absolutely right that this could be Minelabs future high end detectors.

Great opportunities for Minelab.

Rick
March 03, 2015 05:26PM
If someone like Minelab did not make FLASHY low end units to appeal to newcomers eventually the market would be dead...

you have to get YOUNG people interested in detecting...these units are aimed at the 13 to 20 year old market i would bet...

Something has to happen or in a decade from now if there no one coming into the market we will be in trouble..

machines like this give the manufacturers money to build the Top end units in terms of research...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 04, 2015 05:34AM
ozzie Wrote:
> Go Find....simple name. The 7000's should be
> called 'Go Fund'

for sure! anybody care to float a second on the house?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
March 04, 2015 07:04AM
I'm really excited to see this series in action. The Go Find "20" has all I need. No VDI, no smartphone BS, 2 tones, the proper weight, probably a good balance (and hopefully useful find modes). I hope the performance will surprise...
March 04, 2015 09:54PM
Keith, I agree 100%. The are not targeting almost anyone on this forum. Maybe as a travel detector. It will be interesting to see what kind of third party support these will get for the Bluetooth apps - GPS tagging of targets, swath coverage, target Filing for future ref, video of hunt, if like other apps someone may think of things MINELAB never considered. Bluetooth will not make it a deeper detector, but it could make it smarter. How about if your phone listened an processed all the info from the detector and noticed that some how you missed a sweet silver hit and gives you a warning and exact location so you can retrace your steps and check it out. Our phones have way more computing power then our detectors.

Keith Southern Wrote:
> If someone like Minelab did not make FLASHY low
> end units to appeal to newcomers eventually the
> market would be dead...
>
> you have to get YOUNG people interested in
> detecting...these units are aimed at the 13 to 20
> year old market i would bet...
>
> Something has to happen or in a decade from now if
> there no one coming into the market we will be in
> trouble..
>
> machines like this give the manufacturers money to
> build the Top end units in terms of research...
>
> Keith

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
March 17, 2015 10:11AM
Saw this new video:

[www.youtube.com]

This thing just sucks (unless there is something wrong with the audio of this clip).
March 17, 2015 12:19PM
x2000 Wrote:
> Saw this new video:
>
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> This thing just sucks (unless there is something
> wrong with the audio of this clip).

Wow, that lag seems pretty bad! More disturbing to me was the sound of the machine opening up at the beginning of the video. Didn't sound particularly well made, but I'm hoping im wrong. I hope the Deus has shown all the manufacturers that we want compact, sturdy machines that can stow in a pack...
March 17, 2015 08:24PM
It signals as the target leaves the coil.

Had a whites coinmaster do this. You just hit pinpoint after you get a few repeatable hits.

Looks like the detector wants to be very sure of it's target. Doesn't like targets spanning more than 1 allocated conductivity band.
I'd stick it in 2 tone for field hunting anyway. Dig anything but iron.

It's nothing like an X-terra that's for sure.

HH
Johnb
March 17, 2015 09:58PM
Seladore & scoopjohnb,

Yes indeed. After seeing this video I'm not sure what the purpose of this machine is... Would you buy something like this for your child? It would probably be one time in use.

Now I understand why this Minelab guy (?) on the phone could not hold his laugh (for a split second), after he said: "The response time is just brilliant".

Listen carefully: [www.youtube.com]

What a shame. It doesn't even fit in the "Minelab" backpack: [www.youtube.com] smiling smiley
March 17, 2015 10:56PM
Sorry...but it looks like a cheap toy to me. I'm sure it has its merits and place though...but I can't see me getting one as yet. Heck...who knows...maybe one of my grandsons may like it?

Charles
March 18, 2015 05:37AM
From the first video,... he's got sens on max.
Probably trying for "depth" :-)

When sticking a unit into the hands of a first time user,... you actually go about it the other way.
Drop all the way down, stick a small coin in the ground and ease the sens back up untill it signals.

You don't want them digging deep wide holes and getting frustrated.
You don't want them having a hard time finding small targets.

Probably the awfull response time will be better because the ratio target signal to ground signal is smaller.

It's round the 7 kHz mark, it probably likes a decent chunk of metal. That in my book makes it a coin machine.
Recently dropped coins and ringpulls, coke cans aren't at huge depths. Don't set sens for China :-)

It also probably has a fairly agressive Iron discriminator,... when discing out iron,... people tend to not dig crown caps and other trash.

Haven't had the unit in my hands, just my take on things.

Put it in "trainer mode", stick it in the hands of a first time user. And you'll be amazed what they pull out of the ground!
That's my experience with Detector Toys anyway.

HH
Johnb
March 18, 2015 08:28AM
To be honest, I wouldn't give this detector to a beginner (I would recomment this one instead: [www.youtube.com] ).
Sure, you could have some fun with a "Go Find 40". My first "detector" was the Garrett Pro Pointer. I was searching areas around trees with it and I had fun for months, before I even considered buying a "normal" unit.

The guy in this video wrote, his "Go Find 40" was a prototype, so let's hope something was not right with it...
March 18, 2015 10:34AM
scoopjohnb Wrote:
> It signals as the target leaves the coil.
>
> Had a whites coinmaster do this. You just hit
> pinpoint after you get a few repeatable hits.
>
> Looks like the detector wants to be very sure of
> it's target. Doesn't like targets spanning more
> than 1 allocated conductivity band.
> I'd stick it in 2 tone for field hunting anyway.
> Dig anything but iron.
>
> It's nothing like an X-terra that's for sure.

I was out in one of my "secret" parks several years ago, and a guy that lived next to the park came out to talk to me. Said he had gotten a metal detector just to hunt this park, and asked if I would show him how to use it. I was pretty upset, because I had never seen anybody detect this little patch of land, and it was starting to give up silver with some regularity.

So he runs to his house, and out he comes with this detector. I was figuring it would be a bounty hunter, but it was a little reddish colored whites coinmaster. I had no experience with whites at that point, had always had fisher and tesoro machines. That little coinmaster was the biggest hunk of junk I've ever seen! I was swinging a tesoro cortes, and I would find a coin, show it to him, and then NOT find it with the coinmaster. Long story short, I never saw him swing that detector again...
March 18, 2015 07:29PM
Didn't have that machine for long, it beeped and got me interested :-)

Seladore Wrote:
> scoopjohnb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It signals as the target leaves the coil.
> >
> > Had a whites coinmaster do this. You just hit
> > pinpoint after you get a few repeatable hits.
> >
> > Looks like the detector wants to be very sure
> of
> > it's target. Doesn't like targets spanning more
> > than 1 allocated conductivity band.
> > I'd stick it in 2 tone for field hunting
> anyway.
> > Dig anything but iron.
> >
> > It's nothing like an X-terra that's for sure.
>
> I was out in one of my "secret" parks several
> years ago, and a guy that lived next to the park
> came out to talk to me. Said he had gotten a
> metal detector just to hunt this park, and asked
> if I would show him how to use it. I was pretty
> upset, because I had never seen anybody detect
> this little patch of land, and it was starting to
> give up silver with some regularity.
>
> So he runs to his house, and out he comes with
> this detector. I was figuring it would be a