Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NC Sunburst today

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
NC Sunburst today
March 26, 2015 01:12AM
Back to where the old silver was found last Saturday. Hunted about 3 hours; great afternoon; actually got a bit warm.
Not much to show for the time, but did find a bent and somewhat toasted NC Sunburst coat button, minus the shank.
Many hours spent at that location, so far, and this is the first button I've found there that carried state or service markings.
I knew they had to be there. Now to find the next one...

Less than 4 inches deep. Used the Deus.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: NC Sunburst today
March 26, 2015 01:19AM
Nice !!! Way to Go!!!

98% will have the shank missing...

Your in the right spot...No telling what's in there..

nothing like your first State button...

Congrat's

keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 26, 2015 01:22AM
WTG Wayne!

Determination and persistance that's what it take's, this cool button find will greatly encourage you to keep hitting the site bound to be more in there.

Congrats!
Paul
March 26, 2015 02:17AM
Nice!

Anything period NC is a nice find...

Like Paul said = gotta be more in there!
March 26, 2015 02:27AM
Great find. That looks like a good place for a PI unit, no telling what may turn up. I'll take one of those for every 3 hours I hunt no problem, even without the shank.
March 26, 2015 03:03AM
Awesome find Wayne!!!! Congratulations!!!!
March 26, 2015 11:54AM
Wow Wayne! Great find and one of the buttons high on my wish list. Congratulations! I have to agree with TNS, get out the PI and hit that location hard. Got to be some great finds left at that location. Seems odd that it was so shallow of a target unless in a plowed field.
March 26, 2015 02:16PM
Thanks for the kind remarks.

It's my first "modern era" state button; previous ones were 30+ years ago; a couple NC State Seal cuffs w/bits of gilt remaining, and a nicer NC Sunburst, and a few NC State Seal coat buttons.
Hopefully, like the bullet jinx, the Confed marked button jinx is now behind me, as well. Today might be the day <g>.
Finding good targets in shallow depths does not surprise me. It happens fairly often for me. I don't woods hunt all that much and that is where the new soil is constantly being created. I do have some woods areas in mind, though, but it's getting near time to put them off for another hot, chiggery, ticky season.

You may have seen my thread about the Battle of Bentonville book. The tie-in for me is that the relics I am (fortunate to be) finding here around Greensboro, and the soldiers who wore them/lost them, most probably fought at Bentonville. So I am finding, in essence, post-Bentonville battle relics. The bend in the Sunburst may have happened at Bentonville. So to try and straighten it might go against its history. And I'd probably end up with a 2 piece one-piece.
Owing to the close proximity of the old silver and the Sunburst, it's quite likely these very coins were carried by the men in grey. Where did they get them, and how long did they carry them? It's all an amazing puzzle of history. One that every one of us contributes to unearthing. There are times to stay under the radar, as it were; and there are times when we can be ambassadors of our passion and help others to understand why we do what we do. Wisdom is to understand what opens doors and what closes them. May we all be that fortunate and wise.

ps, I sure wish I had a PI; I'd be swinging it there for sure. Just haven't made that $1000 decision yet. PI, F19, Racer? So many choices. So little money <g>. It would be nice to be able to try them all without buying them first, wouldn't it?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 28, 2015 03:56AM
BUTTONS!!!! My number one favorite find!!! Well done Wayne.