Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ID help

Posted by triplehooked 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
ID help
April 17, 2015 02:03AM
A short hunt this evening with the Deus at two sites. I found what I think is part of an s buckle, civil war era?. Any help in ID would be appreciated. The Lee button and badge type item was found at another (newer) site. I was (again) running the Deus at a crawl, gmp , 18kHz, disc at 9, silencer off, reactivity of 0. I have found that these settings pick up more items, (not just deeper), albeit the trade off is digging more deep iron.

Re: ID help
April 17, 2015 02:29AM
Very Nice snake Buckle ...

they can range from early 1800s to 1930s or so...They are snake buckles with swans heads...

I dug one years ago in a old house site like yours....it was on a Civil War Rd with flat buttons in the mix..

they are hard to date but down this way the Confederates used them on cartridge box belts....theres alot more to that buckle than what you have there...
the rebs got them from England when the bought the Enfield musket it came in the kit with the gun...

they are mostly made in England ...

the civil war ones I have found the snake body is flatter than the newer ones...

Heres a new one of an older style civil war period.

Nice find ..

O yeah they were real popular in Canada back in the late 1800's

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 02:30AM by Keith Southern.
April 17, 2015 02:41AM
Thanks Keith! I don't know where you store all that info. but it is greatly appreciated. I didn't realize this style of buckle was used into the 20th century. Very cool info. This is one of those sites that has produced nothing but period targets. A shield nickel, a couple of fattie Indian head pennies, toe taps, a few buttons, and the normal iron barrage and lantern parts. I love these sites that have nothing modern in them. It's a blast to detect as you know every target is going to be old! Thanks again for the history!
April 17, 2015 09:51AM
Cool find/s Travis

anything stamped ON that badge thing??
April 17, 2015 12:16PM
Very nice snake buckle! I have only seen a couple ever dug by the very old timers from a local CW battlefield. Very cool find. Thanks for the history on it Keith. Made me think of an old timer that I need to take out to one of our sites and see if he still has the knack for finding the relics like he used to. A walking encyclopedia on CW history once he knows you very well. Gonna be a Hugh loss of knowledge when he is gone.
April 17, 2015 01:03PM
Love the snake buckle. Any sign of the ring having been joined to a keeper (rectangular frame as in Keith's example)?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 17, 2015 04:38PM
Nothing on the badge, Wayne. Just the typical script style ornate design on it. It is fairly thin as well. I'm wondering if it had some kind of filler on the back side at one time.

I had just a slight suspicion of what it was once out of the ground, so I gridded the area the best I could before moving on, no other buckle parts found this time. But I'll be back. Hopefully the farmer tills the soil some as the corn stalks are limiting my swing and I know there are more targets...