Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is bad dirt???

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What is bad dirt???
April 23, 2015 10:07PM
So this PI topic has got be pondering. What is bad dirt? When I GB auto with the 75 it is usually 53-63 in my area. I don't think I've seen it higher or lower. And the 75 se even w upgrade is chatty until I GB. Then all is amazingly good. So is that minerals making noise? I live in west tn. Im just curious when the pi machines shine or is it more dependent on the FE o 3 reading. Anyway just trying to figure out what bad dirt is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 10:44PM by Bflo.
Re: What is bad dirt???
April 23, 2015 10:16PM
"What is bad dirt???"

that stuff directly under yellow snow - lol

sorry couldnt help myself but I am sure someone will post what you are looking for - have a nice day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 10:20PM by rustic charm.
April 24, 2015 12:10AM
A lot of factors for what I consider bad dirt. If you have trouble keeping the detector balanced and or if you can place a coin in the ground and it starts to read as iron at just a few inches...I classify it as bad ground. My soil here at home, most all VLF machines will read coins beyond 6 inches as iron. The soil in Culpeper/Brandy Station, VA area, you will lose a coin to iron readings at about 5 inches. And some spots of it, I had minie balls in the dirt pile that read as iron til they were uncovered. Thats what I consider to be pretty bad soil.

I talked my wife into letting me go dig this afternoon. She insisted she dig for me since I still cant bend that well from surgery. So I brought my GPX with 6x10 coil and the Racer with stock coil. We dug a few signals. One of them was a sweet high tone on the GPX. I checked it with the Racer and never got a peep. Not even in all metal mode. Long story short, we dug a hole approx 11 inches deep. We had to widen the hole quite a bit cause I didnt bring my pinpointer. The GPX was screaming it had a good low conductor in the hole. The Racer didnt make a peep til it was in the dirt pile. It turned out to be a larger coat size plain shield eagle button. In the air test, that was a pretty easy target to get at that distance/depth. But the ground we were hunting in is bad soil and it never made a peep. Didnt stay long. The grass needs cut at that spot.
April 24, 2015 12:18AM
Its dependent on the fe reading more the the g.b. number..

high fe numbers will shut your VLF down depth wise and I.d. wise..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 24, 2015 12:52AM
I'm at work and don't have the manual to look at but seems like I usually get about 3 bars Which I think is normal. so when or what on the F75 meter would you consider bad soil and be beneficial for a PI. And Keith after seeing the whites video all things considered would it be a good choice for 1st PI
April 24, 2015 01:20AM
I notice after 3 Fe bars things go south on the VLF's....

3 seems to be the point a VLF can still work...4/5 will see results with a P.I. maxed out bars P.I. a must..

Yes a TDI is a good starter P.i. and for alot of folks the only P.I. they will need with current technology...

theres alot of sophisticated high end cicuitry going on in a TDI even the new price is a steal for anyone who has to have one....but a used price is beyond fantastic for anyone who wants to TRY one.....

there built solid...

there a good learning machine too since you have full control ...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 24, 2015 03:17AM
FYI,
Hunted in the hottest soil so far in my detecting career(Murfreesboro Tn). Most times mineral meter on Racer was all blacked out except for 2 segments, sometimes all blacked out except for 1 segment. Racer with small coil is dynamite in this level of mineralization IMO. In 3 tone I was getting good tone and TID at very near 7 to right at 7 inches on coin size targets. I wished I had my F75LTD2 there today, just to see. I honestly believe the soil in this site would have had the F75LTD2 shut down in Bp process. Would have been curious to see how the DE and JE processes would have held up depth wise. Something else I noticed, Racer swing speed very forgiving in this hot soil. XP Deus had trouble with ground tracking and would stay noisier than usual. Reactivity levels 0 and 1 seemed rendered useless, reactivity 2 things sounded better over targets. CTX in Auto plus 3 would track no higher than 16+3=19. And it was also noisier than usual. Manual sens above 23 the machine would start getting noisy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2015 03:20AM by tnsharpshooter.
April 24, 2015 03:54AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
I wished I had
> my F75LTD2 there today, just to see. I honestly
> believe the soil in this site would have had the
> F75LTD2 shut down in Bp process. Would have been
> curious to see how the DE and JE processes would
> have held up depth wise.

Sounds pretty much like my soil....My LTD2 will get a silver dime at 6" in BP, tone both directions with 11" coil. It won't get it if I lift the coil 1/4" JE will just barely hit it usually only one direction.

However, I usually hunt in JE. It seems more tolerant to a faster sweep speed when I'm out covering ground and I can work through nails better with JE.

Kenny
April 24, 2015 04:14AM
Bad dirt can also be where your digging zinc cents at a average of 4-5 inches some at 8-9 inches, would call that bad dirt? Had a hunt month ago was a bank till about 10 years ago before that back to mid 1800's train depot in center of town. A 3-hour hunt 19 pennies 17 of them zincs, oldest was a memorial 1970's, a dollar's worth of clad, oldest also 70's, cool little button with threaded shank only highlight of the day ?
April 24, 2015 09:16AM
Yes ...... Fe3O4 = 4 bars or higher

rapidroy ...... exactly
April 24, 2015 12:30PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> FYI,
> Hunted in the hottest soil so far in my detecting
> career(Murfreesboro Tn). Most times mineral meter
> on Racer was all blacked out except for 2
> segments, sometimes all blacked out except for 1
> segment. Racer with small coil is dynamite in
> this level of mineralization IMO. In 3 tone I was
> getting good tone and TID at very near 7 to right
> at 7 inches on coin size targets. I wished I had
> my F75LTD2 there today, just to see. I honestly
> believe the soil in this site would have had the
> F75LTD2 shut down in Bp process. Would have been
> curious to see how the DE and JE processes would
> have held up depth wise. Something else I
> noticed, Racer swing speed very forgiving in this
> hot soil. XP Deus had trouble with ground
> tracking and would stay noisier than usual.
> Reactivity levels 0 and 1 seemed rendered useless,
> reactivity 2 things sounded better over targets.
> CTX in Auto plus 3 would track no higher than
> 16+3=19. And it was also noisier than usual.
> Manual sens above 23 the machine would start
> getting noisy.

Now your in my hometown and are experiencing what we've been trying to overcome for years.
The soil conditions west of here get worse,in the fort donelson area (Dover Tn) I believe you could possibly make iron from the dirt.
Myself and others have had better luck with a V3i with 8x6 sef with tx boost on and gain below 6 in 22.5 frequency with ground filter selected by lowest ground noise level in this nasty dirt.
There is so much civil war activity in this area that I'll never give up trying to tweak some kind of better performance out of a machine to locate deeper /more stuff.
April 24, 2015 12:54PM
Silver master Wrote:
> tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > FYI,
> > Hunted in the hottest soil so far in my
> detecting
> > career(Murfreesboro Tn). Most times mineral
> meter
> > on Racer was all blacked out except for 2
> > segments, sometimes all blacked out except for
> 1
> > segment. Racer with small coil is dynamite in
> > this level of mineralization IMO. In 3 tone I
> was
> > getting good tone and TID at very near 7 to
> right
> > at 7 inches on coin size targets. I wished I
> had
> > my F75LTD2 there today, just to see. I
> honestly
> > believe the soil in this site would have had
> the
> > F75LTD2 shut down in Bp process. Would have
> been
> > curious to see how the DE and JE processes
> would
> > have held up depth wise. Something else I
> > noticed, Racer swing speed very forgiving in
> this
> > hot soil. XP Deus had trouble with ground
> > tracking and would stay noisier than usual.
> > Reactivity levels 0 and 1 seemed rendered
> useless,
> > reactivity 2 things sounded better over
> targets.
> > CTX in Auto plus 3 would track no higher than
> > 16+3=19. And it was also noisier than usual.
> > Manual sens above 23 the machine would start
> > getting noisy.
>
> Now your in my hometown and are experiencing what
> we've been trying to overcome for years.
> The soil conditions west of here get worse,in the
> fort donelson area (Dover Tn) I believe you could
> possibly make iron from the dirt.
> Myself and others have had better luck with a V3i
> with 8x6 sef with tx boost on and gain below 6 in
> 22.5 frequency with ground filter selected by
> lowest ground noise level in this nasty dirt.
> There is so much civil war activity in this area
> that I'll never give up trying to tweak some kind
> of better performance out of a machine to locate
> deeper /more stuff.

I forgot to ad that to get desired results you also need a liberal negative ground balance or use the salt beach mode built into the machine.
Also want to add the wetter this area is the worse the mineral level appears to be.
Hope this helps a little on everyone's treasure quest