Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How many coins do you regularly find DEEP?

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How many coins do you regularly find DEEP?
April 23, 2015 03:25PM
Wondering, if you take a look at what you "really" find in the 10 maybe 11inch range, depth wise. I'm talking undisturbed ground. Is it 1 per month, 2? Most of the places here in undisturbed ground the deepest are 5 to 7 inches deep.
Re: How many coins do you regularly find DEEP?
April 23, 2015 03:36PM
I have only found one deep coin, that was a large cent at about 14" . things must of been right that day. I was up to my elbo when it came out. That was with the MXT and 9.5 coil. Most coins are in the 7" to 8" and that is deep to me. I have a new Racer on the way, I want to see some of these 12" coins come out, ha ha
April 23, 2015 03:50PM
Hi Jack,,,,,"Most of the places here in undisturbed ground the deepest are 5 to 7 inches deep.".............What are the coins you are finding at this depth and what machine do you use......"10 maybe 11inch range, depth wise."........I can't reach this kind of depth with any machine I own.............JJ
April 23, 2015 04:14PM
I had a Tesoro Deleon that hit on a broken dime at 10 inches! I do remember the dirt being moist. The set ground balance must of been perfect that day.
April 23, 2015 04:55PM
Depends on what we call deep and old. At a depth of say 10 inches my finds have been Colonial Coppers for the most part. The last one I hit was with my CTX that is long gone. But most of my other coins like Mercs and Barbers are in the 5 to 8 inch range. I have dug many wheat and Indian Head pennies in that range as well. If you happen to live in a state that was never around during the Colonial time I really can't imagine you finding coins at an extreme depth that often.

Now in the sand I have dug quarters with my Sovereign over a foot deep many times.
April 23, 2015 05:04PM
JJ most all of the coins I dig are 6 inches or less. Every now and then a 8 or 9 incher will present itself. That's in undisturbed ground. The Turk machines hit very good on the 6-7 inch depth coins. I've found em no matter where I hunt at that depth with the ML's and now the imports. Very seldom do I dig anything deeper, coin wise. Here I just think they are not that deep. But my old adage goes, "ya don't know what ya don't know". I guess that's what inspires us huh.
April 23, 2015 06:18PM
Try taking something like an empty Kleenex box. Then put a dime in the bottom of the box. Run your detector of choice over it. Good signal on the dime, right? Yep. Now take something as simple as a crown cap or wadded piece of foil and place it on top of the box at the far corners with the dime still in the same place. What happens when you run the coil over the dime now? We know the detectors can separate when the targets are close together on the same depth plane, aka side by side. But what about areas where things may be layered? I.e. aluminum trash shallower than a coin nearby. Well if your tests are like mine...even with the Racer and the infamous small OOE coil...you are NOT going to get an 80s signal on that dime and you might be surprised to see you don't get a signal on the dime at all ...and thats above ground without minerals to contend with; with just a couple inches distance between the dime and trash. Put them side by side on a block, and you can pick the dime out. Put the dime lower than the trash (not directly underneath but a couple inches to the side) and your dime is now pretty much invisible to the detector.

Thats why we dont dig coins deeper than we do. I just about bet they are there though. As advanced as fast recovery machines have became, we are still a long ways off being able to get to deeper coins in trash via locking target ID and such.
April 23, 2015 08:19PM
I found two Indian head pennies underneath a rusty bottle cap that was nearly eaten up with rust. How did I do such a feat? Well I was in an old house yard that was very productive, wheats, merc dimes, V and buf nickels. I got a broken signal and saw this rusty old bottle cap halfway buried and just picked it up. I swept the coil back over where the bottle cap had lain and got a deep zinc penny reading on the meter, dug up a couple of nice mid 1880's Indians about 6" below where the bottle cap had been. If you're in a productive area like the one I described, dig everything. Depth does not mean a thing, if trash is on top of the goodies.
...Around my area in south central Ks. the older coins are down anywhere from 5 to 9 inches deep, have found some clad that deep too, go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 08:30PM by Hombre.
April 23, 2015 09:01PM
Well my ground is fairly mild to moderate so I can get down deep on coins. It seems all the old coins in Chicago parks are over 8''. I dug a memorial penny at 7'' today. I also dug a Barber dime at 9'' on edge, But I was using my new depth weapon a Sunray X-12 coil. This thing is a beast on deep silver on edge. As good if not better then My CZ-3D with the 10.5'' coil.
April 23, 2015 09:23PM
Harold now that you mention it I ran an X 12 on that machine and dug some pretty deep stuff up the country from here. Good coil on that Etrac. It's a hot machine.
April 23, 2015 09:41PM
I found a lot of silver with that Etrac I got from you a couple years back! It is a Beast with that Sunray X-12 coil as I also got a Seated dime last week end that was deeper then the barber and also on edge.
April 23, 2015 10:02PM
The last few years the deepest coins I have found here in NZ have been 9" and usually NZ Pennies however not all that long ago I pulled a NZ Half Penny at 10" (measured) with my Musky Advantage with 10"DD - The soil was moist and the GB was fixed -
April 23, 2015 10:45PM
I've only dug 2 Indian heads at 11" with a sovereign and 8" coil.

Rick
April 23, 2015 11:12PM
1800's park coins in California tend to be deep. I dug a SLQ in Oakland at a measured 11" deep, if that was that deep, imagine how deep a seated or barber would be?

Guess it just depends, most old sites that I enjoy hunting are pretty varied, I got a bust half at 9" deep, that's pretty deep for a big coin like that. On the flip side I've found indians and seateds only a few inches deep and others that were 6"-8", just depends on what was going on at that site, soil (hard pan, sandy/loose, hill side vs flat lands, was it muddy in the past and horses or boots pushed targets to depth? There are plenty of old 1800's parks I'd love to take a machine that could ID a silver dime at 12" + deep, cause they're out there.

Like always in this hobby, there's tons of variables.
April 24, 2015 02:25AM
Glad you chimed in first Brian. When I was detecting Stockton parks ,I commonly dug 8-10 inch coins...some as deep as 13 inches. Sovereign with12" Sunray.
April 24, 2015 02:36AM
I've dug out coins in the 10-12" range, but as I recall they were mostly in very damp or soggy, humus rich soils. I don't recall getting that deep in compacted, dry, hardpan soils - more like under 6-7".
April 24, 2015 04:46AM
Why is it am often amazed at the small items that I seem to be able to pick out amongst the trash many time fairly deep its rarely a coin though? At least not often enough guess that's why they call it hunting and not killing? HH
April 24, 2015 09:35AM
Daniel Tn = Exactly.
I have been preaching/teaching this for decades. It's even demonstrated on one of my DVD's.

Most of the places we hunt...... it is a rare occasion whereby the coil of our detector can 'see between' trash....... and achieve any appreciable depth. It is like trying to look through the forest to see a person on the other side. Masking and silent masking is unsuspectingly crippling.

Also. Finding a 2" deep coin....and.....finding a 12" deep coin. The 12" deep coin is less likely to be clad.
April 24, 2015 02:15PM
If hunting old disturbed ground silver coins are usually 6 inches plus...In local parks 1-3 inches for clad...How many deep depends where I hunt and time spent.