Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

BREAKAGE ON MAKRO RACER COIL EARS

Posted by Nokta Detectors 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
BREAKAGE ON MAKRO RACER COIL EARS
April 29, 2015 02:38PM
Hello all... this is to inform all valued members of the forum that we have had some cases of coil ear breakages on the standard coil of the Makro Racer.

After investigation, we have found out that the material supplier made a change in the material without informing us and sent material different than the approved samples in one party of goods sent. The material change resulted in reported breakages first on the bolts and then the coil ears.

As we did not come across these breakages during our tests here, the products were distributed to the dealers. Please note that the issue is not across the board and we have been replacing all coils that were reported to us with a breakage. We have addressed the issue already and changed the material for all units currently in production.

Although the problem was not a result of our internal processes or quality control, we still apologize to all customers on behalf of our team. We guarantee that every single coil ear breakage issue will be addressed by the company and your coil will be replaced via express courier service. If you experience coil ear breakage, please email cavit@makrodetector.com with the serial number of your device and also attach the image of the coil. Thank you in advance for your understanding and once again we apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused for any customer.
Re: BREAKAGE ON MAKRO RACER COIL EARS
April 29, 2015 03:19PM
Hi,,,,Thanks for the updated information.....I think I personally would be looking into getting a new material supplier.....If I wanted to buy a Racer with no issues what would I be looking for?....It was reported over two months ago about a temperature problem with the coils plus the breaking bolts and now this.....Is there a serial number etc. to look for in my purchase to assure me that I'm buying a good one with no problems?....If I'm reading between the lines correctly, If I was to buy one tomorrow from a dealer I would stand a 50/50 % chance of getting a bad one....I would hate to drive 50 miles to go detecting with my new Racer and swing the coil once then the coil ear breaks off....Will there be a recall in place from the dealers to give them known good stock?....JJ

PS: I'm not a gambler....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 03:25PM by jimmyjiver.
April 29, 2015 03:25PM
Thank you for letting us know about how the problem came about and how you are addressing it...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 29, 2015 03:37PM
JJ,
You say you are not a gambler. Got bad news for you. Anything you purchase besides maybe an anvil is a gamble of sorts. i.e. cars, detectors, appliances, new homes, IRAs, 401ks, big screen TV, computers. With that said I feel it's the support you get when something does go wrong. And remember in the news lately GM wouldn't even own up to ignition deficiency until lately, after several malfunctions led to accidents and loss of life. So at least Nokta/Makro is owning up and are willing to support purchasers. Do you own or have you owned any GM products JJ? If so, you are a gambler big time!!!!!!! And this post is not to defend or promote any manufacturer, just pointing out facts.

ps Even buying food is a gamble of sorts these days. You do buy food don't you JJ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 03:47PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 29, 2015 03:37PM
LOL Jimmy....

Your not going to buy one anyways!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 29, 2015 03:56PM
Hi,,,,Okay it's pick on JJ day...LoL.....TSS there's a big difference the company is saying there's a problem up front,,,,when I bought my TV etc. if they told me it may or may not work or may explode during a football game I'm not buying it......Keith you are probably right, cause I can't afford a free lunch....LoL....I'm just asking questions that I know perspective buyers may have.....JJ
April 29, 2015 04:00PM
Hi TSS,,,boy you are asking me some very personal questions....LoL........ "Do you own or have you owned any GM products JJ? If so, you are a gambler big time!!!!!!! And this post is not to defend or promote any manufacturer, just pointing out facts.

ps Even buying food is a gamble of sorts these days. You do buy food don't you JJ??..............................................................................The answer is NO to both questions......JJ
April 29, 2015 06:26PM
Glad they are stepping up. They may have some further issues arise that wont be seen until the temps cool this fall. My unit went into the dreaded saturation lock up when above 70 gain the other day. It was an extremely cool morning for central va w/temps im the high 40's. Tried the other coils and they werent effected, just the stock. Machine hasnt done it since until yesterday when the AC dumping into the floor boards of my truck were hitting the coil. The other similar reports all feel its related to the cold.
April 29, 2015 06:39PM
deadlift Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad they are stepping up. They may have some
> further issues arise that wont be seen until the
> temps cool this fall. My unit went into the
> dreaded saturation lock up when above 70 gain the
> other day. It was an extremely cool morning for
> central va w/temps im the high 40's. Tried the
> other coils and they werent effected, just the
> stock. Machine hasnt done it since until yesterday
> when the AC dumping into the floor boards of my
> truck were hitting the coil. The other similar
> reports all feel its related to the cold.

Did you have the coil cover on? After some experimenting, I found that the cold temp coil saturation issue resolves itself if you remove the coil cover.

NOTE - The ability to make any machine adjustments is locked out as the machine boots into "saturation alert" mode upon detecting whatever condition the machine deems to trigger this alarm. Shutting the machine off, and removing the coil cover will mitigate the issue when you turn it back on again.

The coil cover on the 11" DD is pretty thick and tough to remove, so I would be a bit worried about breaking the coil ears, but I was able to get mine off without incident.

HH,
Brian
April 29, 2015 06:46PM
I don't use the coil cover on the stock unit to offset whatever weight I can.
April 29, 2015 07:01PM
Its not the temp I dont believe,, I believe its the coil cover causing the overloading.....

talked ot aguy last week with overload...Not cold...Told him to remove cover worked fine!

Something weird ont he cover...

Dont need them anyway's .I dont use coil cover's myself...

metal detector would be fell apart before a coil wears out unless you swing on a sandy beach or prospecting in rocks all day ...

I loathe coil covers..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 29, 2015 07:32PM
Hi all,,,My friend could simulate the overdrive issue by putting his coil in the freezer for awhile.....He tried it with the coil cover on and off and in both cases it went into overdrive....It had a thermal unclear meltdown until the temperature stabilized to near room temperature.....I did not witness this strange occurrence but I do tend to believe him.....JJ
April 29, 2015 07:36PM
As said mine didn't have the cover on. It's absolutely the cold. I put mine in the fridge this afternoon also (my wife thinks I'm nuts)- overload though it was brief this time and went away after about 5-6 seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 08:32PM by deadlift.
April 29, 2015 09:25PM
Thank you Nokta Detectors -

Keeping the customers informed and up to date as usual, however as you can clearly see there are still those that want to kick the can -

Its an easily sorted out issue in a professional manner - send email and get a replacement

Its not like you have to send the coil back to get a bead of silicon run around it like another company who had coil issues when they first came out - This is by far a better solution

I would be a bit miffed if I had to send it back to be plastic welded or some other cheap fix -

Easy to see how good how Nokta get things done -
April 30, 2015 09:41AM
Hello all... Although the issue seems bigger than it is when reported by the manufacturer, the percentage is small relative to the quantity shipped. No matter what, we are 100% behind our product and we will not let anybody down in terms of support and take care of each and every single customer who has an issue. Thank you for your understanding.
April 30, 2015 10:11AM
Hummmm so you will replace any that BREAKS..... only during warranty time? Apparently there is a batch out there thats defective. I know history on bad cables, knobs, ect dont just go away after the warranty runs out. Would you replace a coil if someone doesnt want to take the ..... after the warranty runs out chance?
April 30, 2015 11:48AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Hummmm so you will replace any that BREAKS.....
> only during warranty time? Apparently there is a
> batch out there thats defective. I know history
> on bad cables, knobs, ect dont just go away after
> the warranty runs out. Would you replace a coil
> if someone doesnt want to take the ..... after the
> warranty runs out chance?

In this specific case, the breakage will happen sooner due to the weak material and not last throughout the warranty period. There is a lot of testing done to verify this. If it does not break throughout the warranty period, it means the coils is good or if there is a breakage years from now, it really has nothing to do with this issue. Please keep in mind that these are outdoor devices and every single breakage should not be linked back to an honest announcement we made about the issue. I am sure you would appreciate the fact that we cannot change every single Racer coil forever. Yes, we are proud of our customer service but we also have our limits. We also have the responsibility of investing in new product development so that we can offer better products for our valued customers and continue to give the support we have been providing so far. Thank you!
May 01, 2015 08:17AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> JJ,
> You say you are not a gambler. Got bad news for
> you. Anything you purchase besides maybe an anvil
> is a gamble of sorts. i.e. cars, detectors,
> appliances, new homes, IRAs, 401ks, big screen TV,
> computers. With that said I feel it's the support
> you get when something does go wrong. And
> remember in the news lately GM wouldn't even own