Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do you guys find many Standing Liberty quarters?

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do you guys find many Standing Liberty quarters?
March 28, 2015 03:40AM
It was a short lived series & had a high relief on the strike (the date wore off rather quickly).------Anyway, my wife & I almost always hunt together and in the last 13 years have recovered 29 SL quarters---17 no dates (date wore off)---12 with dates and the oldest being two 1917-D's (with dates).----They were found here & there in multi states on our hunts and not in any one particular place on the hunt sites.------Just curious as to the overall picture as to recovery rate on these quarters & how you guys are doing finding them.----Oh yeah--almost forgot to mention---the last one I found was on 7/13/'13---a 1926-S.-------------Del
Re: Do you guys find many Standing Liberty quarters?
March 28, 2015 03:50AM
Del, I usually get 2 or so a year. In fact, my hunting buddy got a n/d one this morning. HH jim tn
March 28, 2015 03:59AM
I haven't found one yet. Only found 1 barber quarter, a hand full of barber dimes, About 40 Indian Heads and Buffalo Nickels. That's the way it is living in northern Michigan.

Rick
March 28, 2015 04:14AM
Only a handful Del. Been awhile. Beautiful coin!
March 28, 2015 04:16AM
I find a few here and there. Quarters being larger are easier to see if dropped say in a common area around home vs say dimes. Also quarters need a bigger hole in pocket vs dimes, pennies, nickels to be lost. Also Quarters are harder to mask/hide in iron/trash vs most other coinage. And the quarter being bigger is detected more easily and even a decent depths with an introductory model detector. I feel all this combined contributes to why fewer quarters are found. Granted there is always a site where all of what I've mentioned seems to go out the window.
March 28, 2015 04:44AM
Not too many, one every other year, but I did get a really rough one last month.
March 28, 2015 09:11AM
Not nearly as many here in Michigan these days Del as say compared to back in the 1980s when we used to find them somewhat regularly.

Back then the rate was around 1 for every 10 hunts or so for an average I'd say and/but these days? We're lucky to find 1 per year or per every 100 hunts for an average.

The Places we used to find them back then have all been pounded to death by 1000s of diggers over the decades and so now about the only places left to find one on occasion is on private property.

Not saying you can't EVER find one in a park, at an old school, etc around here these days but nowhere near as often as back in the day (not even close).

I havent found one in over 2 yrs myself :-/
March 28, 2015 10:10AM
I've found two in the last three years, but I always chalked it up to those being particularly bad times here in the Deep South. I have this completely unsubstantiated theory that very few coins circulated down here from around 1880-1930 due to reconstruction and the depression. My finds back it up. Ive found three seated dimes for every one barber...
March 29, 2015 03:13AM
OK, dumped out the coin jar from last year and I found eight SLQ's for 2014. I thought I had at least ten for the year, but no. They are one of my most favorite coins to find. They are still fairly easy to find. Since I am somewhat new to this area I now live, it took a bit of research to find the best spots to detect for them. What I have found so far is no one else has detected this area (do to the fact of the type and amount of coins I have recovered) and there is a fair amount of trash to hunt through.
March 29, 2015 06:06AM
Del - 4 SLQs out of 585 silvers to date. And 3 of those 4 were no dates.

As I understand it, the pre-1925 quarters are the ones most likely to have the date worn off. I'm guessing they lowered the relief in 1925?
March 29, 2015 03:03PM
Although I have found my share over the last 20 yrs plus indeed in my neck of the woods far and few between...Weird how it works as have found 3 in one particular area so perhaps location has a bearing on the find rate...Indeed rare to find one with a clear date but thats the nature of the coin...
March 29, 2015 03:30PM
Hi,,,,yeah these are hard to come by....Ironically some of the ones that I did find in the 70's & 80's were some key date ones....Barber quarters are more prevalent around here and much easier to find......JJ
March 29, 2015 04:02PM
Most of the places I hunt they don't turn up...I've found some but that happens when i hunt yards and such...

They are a pretty coin...I remember finding one out of place in a house site once way back in the woods..the coin did not date with the house...I think a deer hunter dropped it in there maybe it had very little wear..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 29, 2015 09:47PM
I have found 5 over the last 5 years. 2 were in one hole a 29' and a ND. I have a 1917 that is a beauty with the date in great shape along with a 30' and the last one was found 3 months ago with ND.
March 30, 2015 12:50AM
In my lifetime....... I have found a total of 21 SLQ's.
March 30, 2015 03:48AM
i've found 4 in the last 2 yrs. Is there a difference between a 16 and early 17 besides the date?
March 30, 2015 04:38AM
None yet, but soon?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
May 08, 2015 07:05PM
marcomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Del - 4 SLQs out of 585 silvers to date. And 3
> of those 4 were no dates.
>
> As I understand it, the pre-1925 quarters are the
> ones most likely to have the date worn off. I'm
> guessing they lowered the relief in 1925?

Finally found my first SLQ-1925 in a farm field 4 inches deep clod was big as my hand could see the rim and said yes silver drought is over. Broke it open bigger surprise my first SLQ & in guessing G-4 shape. Still gawking at it 2 weeks later, still hoping for a seated coin of any shape & size! HH & Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 01:11AM by rapidroy7.