Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Have ya ever found a piggy bank?

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Have ya ever found a piggy bank?
April 25, 2015 09:03PM
Went to a place where a house burnt down less than a year ago. Early 1900's house, about 4 houses up from where I was raised. They just cleared the lot this week and I gave it a go. Found a few well, pennies and then got along the edge of the foundation. Got another 82 on the Racer and stuck the shovel in and the dirt was just filled with pennies. Just started getting them with the pinpointer after that. The pennies on the outer part of the penny motherload lol were melted and warped badly and that evidently insulated the ones in the middle they looked pretty good just kinda got hot. Got over 200 and decided to call it quits to take the grandboy back and let him have at it with a pinpointer later. I wonder if they kept all their change, uh, separated in containers?
[youtu.be]
Re: Have ya ever found a piggy bank?
April 25, 2015 09:19PM
Jack Never found a Piggy bank but have found two Hide away banks...both were in Prince Albert can's I dug up..

The first one was years ago beside a road bed in the woods...dug the can up started to toss it and heard a rattle....it had 2 gold ring's and a gold brooch and a gold locket inside.....

The next was a few years ago I dug up a Prince Albert can and heard a thud inside...pryed it open knowing it was not a mettalic thud and saw the reamins of what looked like about 25 baseball cards from the 1940s....they were all crumbled up.....and decayed....

Also found a persons coin collection once in a renovation lot all in one hole about 40 coins....it was Nazi money from WW 2 era...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 26, 2015 12:32AM
Nope but did find an old can long and about the size of silver dollars....Took it home as it rattled and broke it open was full of silver dollar size washers..Perhaps next time...
April 26, 2015 12:39AM
Man that's a LOT of pennies!

PS

I keep all mine in one container and all the silver colored coins in another --- just makes it easier to roll up at the end of the year ;-)
April 26, 2015 12:56AM
Keith, I find those Prince Albert cans from time to time in farm fields... You're going to have me prying them open!

Only video I've ever seen of a true bank being found...certainly a once in a lifetime find...

[m.youtube.com]
April 26, 2015 01:00AM
The mother load!!!!!!!! Grandson will have a ball...........
April 26, 2015 01:48AM
Ive seen two caches found in my life live....both were done buy bulldozers....yes Bulldozers...we are just scratching the surface ...one was over 1500 coins the othe was a mason jar busted with about 60 or so Morgans...

and I helped a Guy once open up a jar of money he found at a old home place with a detector....it was in a fork of a White Oak tree root..

all the coins were silver all i saw were barber right around 1900 give or take except for the morgans there was few of those in there late 1800's....it was about half full Aqua blue mason quart zinc lid......quite exciting just being that close and helping opent he time capsule .. the dirt was still wet when he showed it to me..

Its put there..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 27, 2015 11:52PM
I dug 2 piggy banks, bottle digging, and both were empty , but I dug a fluff marshmallow jar, some one stashed 1500 bucks in, 50's and 100's, I called it a piggy bank of sorts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 02:15AM by Caretaker.
April 28, 2015 03:50AM
I have only found a home made piggy bank. Back in the day, Log Cabin syrup came in tins that looked like a log cabin and the syrup poured from the chimney. Someone had opened up a slot in the roof of the log cabin and inside was 5 wheats.

A few years ago, while returning from an old school site after only finding a 1940D Wheat and a 5 cent movie token, I stopped and ask permission about an abandoned house I been meaning to check out for some time. The owner told me that it had been used for farm hands around 1900's to the 1940's. After that it had been used for a few years as a church and told me fine go ahead and look.

The house was in bad shape being single plank siding (bat and board) and grown up very bad and it's going to take some work to remove all the growth. Went inside and looked around and just as I was leaving thought I would look above the door sill and saw this. I thought just being a tobacco tin in pretty good shape was a pretty good find in itself but inside it had the 2 valentines and the 1909 quarter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2015 03:53AM by ron_c.
May 23, 2015 12:03AM
Closest that I've found to a piggy bank is a fabric coin purse (fairly disintegrated with about $2 in it) and a nylon ladies purse absolutely STUFFED with gift, reward, and credit cards. Only reason I found the later (>1' depth, 4' of water about 40yds from the low tide line) were the 2 house keys inside it. I was able to return it to the lady who lost it less about 10 days before. According to where she said lost it (rogue wave tagged her), it had also moved a couple of hundred yards north (myrtle beach, sc).
May 23, 2015 01:56AM
No, never found a piggy bank but have found a mason jar with 600 modern coins, also came across a geo cache but at that time never knew it was a geo cache there was no info just small trinkets in a box.