Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How did it take me so long to find this place?

Posted by Champ Ferguson 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
May 22, 2015 09:09PM
New forum member here- cant believe I haven't stumbled into you guys before now. Looking forward to all the previous threads I need to read. So much knowledge to acquire, so little time.

A bit about me:
-hunted since the 70's, tho with crappy machines back then
-seriously hunted in the last few years, logging hundreds of hrs/yr. first with an old Whites Coinmaster, then Minelabs
-hunt mostly coins and pm's. don't really care for the relics.
-scuba certified, but haven't really underwater detected yet. wade/snorkel depths only.
-lifelong rockhound (literally since before I went to kindergarten)
-retired petroleum geologist
-avid inturwebbur
-located in east TN, but I will hit a beach a few times a year

Love the technical end of the hobby, tho I am way undergunned here. I can probably hold my own on soils and sand movement tho (I think soils are WAY more important than we give them credit in our hobby- & especially so, soil moisture).

And Thanks to all of you who so graciously share your knowledge!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2015 09:11PM by Champ Ferguson.
Re: How did it take me so long to find this place?
May 22, 2015 09:32PM
Hello Champ Ferguson nice to have a soil guy here, the mollic epipedon here in Menard county Il. is 36 to more than 60 inches? LOL Welcome Aboard!
May 22, 2015 11:15PM
Welcome to the site Champ. I am relatively new here myself, but enjoy learning from many of the very knowledgable members here.

Walt,

From the GA-FL line

Silver microMax, CTX 3030, Excal 2, ATPro
May 22, 2015 11:26PM
Good question <g>.

Welcome. Look forward to your contributions.
I know what a coin is but what is a pm?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
May 22, 2015 11:31PM
Welcome, and pay no attention to is squabbling on the Thread about somebody's Chicom detector. We have these fits occasionally!

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 23, 2015 01:59AM
Welcome, it's nice to have a forum that does not have so many "fluff subforums", very easy to navigate.. HH
May 23, 2015 02:11AM

You weren't using the right detector! Welcome Champ! Great place you've detected here. Great people and great info.
Anonymous User
May 23, 2015 02:24AM
Kinda the open arms of the detecting community here. Before long the members make you feel like family. Kinda depends on one's family though.
May 23, 2015 06:08AM
Mr. Ferguson it doesn't take very long to discern that you're a Certified Minelab Addict.
Which will promptly be remedied by countless hours spent reading about every detector wurth owning.

Soon you'll be entised by the other brands, Garett, Whites, XP, Fisher, Teknetics, Nokta, etc. etc.
Then you'll progress to the ultimate form of addiction, Detector Addict.

Anyway welcome aboard!

@Kempi No need to worry, you somehow belong here on this forum. We've got all sorts. It took a while for us to get use to you're non technical view based posts.
But throw an other trend of posts at us now and again, keeps us on our toes! And we do like to fling mud with the grandkids now and again :-)

HH
Johnb
May 23, 2015 12:51PM
And dont mind the occasional spam attack.
May 23, 2015 01:49PM
Welcome Champ. Glad you found the site.
May 23, 2015 02:11PM
Thanks for the welcome folks.

pm = precious metal

JF, I think you nailed it. my (organic) software must have a glitch. or 3.

Minelab fanboy? yeah, guilty as charged. But I certainly don't take anything away from any other detectors. everything has its place in the hobby imo (except junk). several hunt buds use ATPs and there's even a Whites DFX in the mix too- I think the detector is only as good as the guy using it. each limits the other to some degree as well. And if it helps me belong here, I'll admit to preferring Garrett pinpointers over Minelab- I just think the Garretts perform better. I also wish one of my buds would buy a Deus so I could try it out. so yeah, my name is champ and I'm an incipient detector addict.
May 23, 2015 02:38PM
Glad you found your way here Champ! I recognize you from other forums. looking forward to your experience here!