Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tips for a beginner on the Explorer 2??

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tips for a beginner on the Explorer 2??
May 25, 2015 01:45AM
While I peruse the forums for advice and encouragement I thought I'd throw another line out there for advice to start using my soon to be owned EX2. Again,I've never used a DD coil,never had tones,numbers...NADA. I have developed a very solid understanding of the general concept and would consider myself proficient with my current "beep and digs"(they are far from that but whatever). I'm entering a foreign arena and appreciate in advance all of the advice I'm sure will be bestowed upon me shortly. TIA!

Kevin
Re: Tips for a beginner on the Explorer 2??
May 25, 2015 01:57AM
I've never used explorer but have used etrac. The variability setting is key.

This link may have helpful info. This Bryce fellow was a keen user of the explorer series. May be some more good stuff at this site also, cheers

[www.findmall.com]

Also items like coins Id different than Etrac/CTX.
Here's a link.
[www.findmall.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 02:07AM by tnsharpshooter.
May 25, 2015 02:14AM
My alltime favorite machine. A lot can be said but you may as well pick up andy sabischs book to shorten your learning curve. The great thing about them unlike many machines is you can tweak them dozens of different ways and they still perform great. There are two main ways to run them, ferrous sounds where sounds get higher as ferrous content lessons or conductive where things get higher as conductivity rises. For best performance run as little disc as possible, (very important!). Scrub the coil, don't swing it w/an air gap at all if possible. You may try auto sensitivity initially as its more stable to learn, as you advance shift to manual as hot as you can (I'm often at 30).

If your hinting coins around aluminum, use conductive sounds, iron mask at 12. This will eliminate nails and most repeatable high tones are good targets. If you're in heavy iron or reluchunting run ferrous sounds and little to no disc. The high/mid tones stand out quite well.

What kind of hunting will you be doing?
May 25, 2015 03:27AM
Welcome to FBS! The etrac emulator really helped me. I mean from youtube vids and the emulator I pretty much was up and running in minutes. My first hunt was with WJS. Within my first 5 minutes I had dug a Liberty Quarter at about 9 inches! I think this is the link to set you up with the EX2 emulator.
[www.thebeepgoeson.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 25, 2015 04:54AM
SLOW down your swing. Wiggle coil over the deepest, faintest hits. Dont get frustrated, its one of the best coin machines ever.
May 25, 2015 07:16PM
Use the factory mode..adjust the threshold to your liking...set sens in low twenties and use till you get the handle of how it works....get a nickel, dime, quarter and swing them past the coil till the audio is etched in your brain and you have a good start...Google Mike Mountray as he has some good tips and meter positions and how they move for most coins.
PS: a couple of trips with a experienced Explorer user can really shorten your learning period, perhaps a clubmember or local may help you out...
Don't get fancy and use like above and little by little you can find out what works for you. As far as pinpointing, read the manual get yourself a large piece of cardboard and screwdriver and practice starting with a half working down to a dime..Explorer can be as easy or hard as you want it to be so be patient and all will fall into place..
May 25, 2015 07:19PM
Hi Kevin,

Good one...
If you bang me an e mail with your e mail I'll send you a Report on the Exp 2 that has helped hundreds of owners.

Des D
May 25, 2015 09:08PM
Thanks a bunch for everybody's advice,I will take it all in eventually. Today me and my ATPro buddy went and dug anything nickel and up. I dug 156 coins total in 4 hours,the bulk of them zinc pennies because we were on a gold quest. I did find a gold colored ring....not one wheat or silver. Obviously,to a guy like me those results are unacceptable,and I'm hoping the EX2 will change that. I don't dig that way all the time,I can target old deep stuff with what I have but I need more info from the machine. Here's to hopin'!

Kevin
May 25, 2015 09:19PM
deadlift Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My alltime favorite machine. A lot can be said but
> you may as well pick up andy sabischs book to
> shorten your learning curve. The great thing about
> them unlike many machines is you can tweak them
> dozens of different ways and they still perform
> great. There are two main ways to run them,
> ferrous sounds where sounds get higher as ferrous
> content lessons or conductive where things get
> higher as conductivity rises. For best performance
> run as little disc as possible, (very important!).
> Scrub the coil, don't swing it w/an air gap at all
> if possible. You may try auto sensitivity
> initially as its more stable to learn, as you
> advance shift to manual as hot as you can (I'm
> often at 30).
>
> If your hinting coins around aluminum, use
> conductive sounds, iron mask at 12. This will
> eliminate nails and most repeatable high tones are
> good targets. If you're in heavy iron or
> reluchunting run ferrous sounds and little to no
> disc. The high/mid tones stand out quite well.
>
> What kind of hunting will you be doing?

Thanks for the tips Deadlift,I'm a straight forward old coin hunter,so anything copper or silver in a coin size. Most of my current sites have a good amount of trash of all vintages so I'll have to learn to set it up according to what I'm running into trash wise. I'm hearing many good things so far,I just hope I can do it justice at some point.smiling smiley
May 25, 2015 09:23PM
Good luck and keep us posted. Once you figure out what works for you it's pretty much turn on and hunt. Not knowing the machine Id reccomend a factory reset before you start as they can get a little funny every so often. Bryce Brown's years of posts on F.M. really helped me, and I pretty much run his settings when deep silver hunting. Sounds like the site you had the at pro on may be a great place to learn the exploder on also.