Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First time out with NEL Sharpshooter coil.......

Posted by James/Texas 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First time out with NEL Sharpshooter coil.......
June 09, 2015 04:20PM
I have been using my F75 since 2009 and had the DST upgrade done last November. I am not claiming to be some sort of expert with any detector or a 'know it all' when it comes to detectors. I am now 66 years young and have a bad back. Fortunately for me, going down to one knee to recover targets is still a possibility and I can still get out for some digging. However, the stock 11" DD coil makes the F75 a bit front heavy and slightly unbalanced for us advanced age guys. So, I did some dinging around, internet searches and watching videos on aftermarket coils. Like everyone else, I wanted that magical coil that would be an answer to all things good and wonderful. I also have the Fisher 6-1/2" White Elliptical Concentric Closed Coil and the Fisher 5" DD Round White Coil. Both coils are good but lack the coverage I need in open field coin shooting, which is my main type of detecting. I needed a coil that gave good coverage but was more balanced for the detector and therefore allow me more time in the field and retain, as close as possible, the same characteristics as the original 11" DD coil minus the weight.

I decided on the NEL Sharpshooter Coil. Although very same in weight as the 11"DD, the coil is nicely balanced and does feel a little lighter. It's build and fit is near perfect and has a really nice, heavy coil wire. Yesterday was my first time out with this coil. I can say that I am very pleased with it. As far as I am concerned, the NEL Sharpshooter is very close in depth, very close in numbers and although it was hot and humid, I was able to stay out for over three hours without the fatigue that normally effects me with the 11" DD coil. About the only difference I could tell is the coverage of the coil but that is expected of a smaller coil. It did not bother me and by the time I had finished my hunt, I was giving no thought to the coverage thing. Coverage is still good. Below is a pic of my finds for the first time out with the NEL Sharpshooter Coil. Oh, my nickel count is low but I decided to skip most of the low tones today and concentrate on the number of good finds because the park I hunted is just loaded with pull tabs and I didn't want to waste my time and energy digging a bunch of junk. I did not dig any crown caps that I sometimes fool me and for some reason, I did seem to get a lot more pennies than usual but can not attribute that to the NEL. At least, not yet. Time will tell. I am pleased and will leave this coil on the F75 as the main coil.

Re: First time out with NEL Sharpshooter coil.......
June 09, 2015 04:32PM
Nice haul, glad you like your new coil. I'm with you. If it aint comfy, then it's not enjoyable/fun. Cheers

David
Re: First time out with NEL Sharpshooter coil.......
June 09, 2015 05:03PM
You may be doing this already but thought I'd mention it..... switching arms gives your dominate arm time to rejuvenate. It is odd at first but soon with enough practice you'll get good enough. When switching. you also have to get use to opposite digging.