Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Going over the same grounds

Posted by guvmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Going over the same grounds
June 13, 2015 03:01AM
Have you had the opportunity to buy the latest detector and hunt your old spots, question did you find significant more good targets? If so do you think with working the old detector to it's max would have acomplished the same results? thanks

I have tried many moderate detectors at my old spots, seemed the only real difference was when used a larger coil to get a little extra depth.
Re: Going over the same grounds
June 13, 2015 03:30AM
guvmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you had the opportunity to buy the latest
> detector and hunt your old spots, question did you
> find significant more good targets? If so do you
> think with working the old detector to it's max
> would have acomplished the same results? thanks
>
> I have tried many moderate detectors at my old
> spots, seemed the only real difference was when
> used a larger coil to get a little extra depth.
I've been hunting this same exact spot since the early 80's. Maybe 4 to 6 times a year? That's a lot of sweeps over the same ground. Each time I'll stumble onto something good. Here is a video I made from last week when I found a super find.
[www.youtube.com]

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 13, 2015 03:45AM
My 2 cents. Sometimes we find targets we actually missed during previous hunts. Sometimes maskers are dug unknowingly and then later hunts finds are discovered. Sometimes the site may be more EMI friendly and finds are made that were previously missed.

With the above set aside. There are detectors that will see things deeper and also detectors that will separate both ferrous from nonferrous as well as nonferrous from nonferrous better.

Every detector has its limits on depth and separation/unmasking. But remember the detecting scenario (the arrangement of ferrous and nonferrous items in the ground) varies.

Will one detector see for example a nonferrous item in ferrous another won't meaning (alert user to) ???You bet.

If you take detectors for example that are incrementally better at separating nonferrous from ferrous to the same site. Sure some additional finds may come to light. But usually not a bunch of finds. You could say the same thing about depth as well.

Example-- Can an Ace 250 with same size coil separate as well as a Deus??? Nope
Can a Ace 250 see and identify a deep silver coin in more mineralized ground vs say minelab etrac?? both running in disc mode...Nope

All detectors have limits. These limits can be stretched some with say bigger and smaller coils.

Can a person who is experienced squeeze more out of brand A model B detector say versus a lesser experienced user?? Yep But this same experienced person can't say make any detector perform (separate or find nonferrous items at depth) as good as any other detector per se.

Can a very experience user of a lesser capable detector out hunt an experienced users who's using the deepest best separating detector made??? Yep

All detectors have strengths and weaknesses. The user must prey on their detectors strengths and realize their detectors weaknesses.. And using a detector gives/shows the user these strengths and weaknesses. And this forum with all the input from the different users can shed a lot of light and sure cut the learning curve if applied smartly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2015 03:50AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 13, 2015 05:12AM
Some very good answers, thank-you.
June 13, 2015 02:18PM
Heck I know one fellow that has one detector and a small and large coil along with the medium size that came with unit...Surprizing at best as when he leaves an area not much left as what one coil won't find the other will and vice-versa....So in reality do we need 4-5 detectors????
June 13, 2015 03:19PM
We look for that detector year after year that will turn old sites new. This year it was the RACER. That's right! I said it! Did it open up my sites? Well I have been trying to sell it on other forums on and off for a month. Put on the small coil and it is indeed a special detector. But I believe it will take a new technology to make a detector make old sites new. And then that technology will cost more than a few mercury dimes that it will find in those old spots. Until then I think a combination of detectors and coil sizes is the only option to really clean a site. Right now I find myself with a Racer, Deus, Explorer XS, and a Sovereign GT with various coils for each. This hobby can have a person spending wads of $$$$. Try explaining that to my wife.
June 13, 2015 06:16PM
"You're right Goodmore...spot on using a combo of teccies + coils to tame a site.
My experience leads me to seeing unexpected results has more to do with coils than detectors.
Why so? Windings and their detect patterns can change things dramatically and unmask."
June 13, 2015 07:24PM
In depth I have not seen great gains in depth seems depth plateaued about 15-20 years ago.....

What I have seen though is great gains in in terms of rehunting is the unmasking in iron..

and I have seen better designed coils..

Just a coil swap on an older machine can do wonders in trash...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 13, 2015 08:10PM
What amazes me (somewhat) is that the design engineers have all (from every company) not already deconstructed all the competition's detector models (copyrights notwithstanding). It would seem that any good technology leap or slouch forward would soon be shared knowledge. At each price point you'd think that with each passing year detector design should be evolving toward a commonality. Thus, the difference between detector abilities should be closing, especially as expansion in innovation slows to a trickle.

If it works .. copy it.
June 13, 2015 08:33PM
The more I hunt the same sites the less discrimination I use. This keeps me finding new stuff. I usually cherry pick as long as I can. This way I get the easier stuff not having wasted my time digging tabs and foil. I also hurry back to my old producing sites every time I acquire a new coil or machine. It's funny just how a little change in equipment can net you some more goodies......

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 14, 2015 04:07AM
Just today went over an area with the racer and started to find relics I had not been able to hit going back 10 years ago

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!