Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ-20 coil compatability

Posted by Chris Woods 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ-20 coil compatability
April 03, 2011 03:05AM
I am awaiting the arrival of a CZ-20 with an 8" coil. I am a fair hand with a soldering iron and know a little bit about "leak proofing". I am thinking about using waterproof 5 pin connectors to splice the coil cable to enable me to easily change coils. Am I correct in assuming that the 5" and 10.5" CZ-5, 6, 7 etc. coils are compatible with the CZ-20?

Thanks,
Chris
Re: CZ-20 coil compatability
April 03, 2011 12:34PM
Chris,
I may be wrong here so don't hold me to this , but from what I understand , the brains of the CZ has to be completely re calibrated to run a different coil ...... so its not just a matter of wiring in a different coil .......There are other factors involved ....Jim
April 03, 2011 02:36PM
Jim,
I would think that the "brains" of the machine would not be exactly calibrated to a different coil but that the difference would not be enough to keep it from working. My thinking comes from the fact that you can swap coils on the CZ-5, 6, 7 etc. and I have read that the CZ-20 is basically the same machine as a CZ-5 in a waterproof box.

I am under the impression that you cannot change the coils on the CZ-20, 21 and some other water machines like the Excalibur because of the use of a waterproof bulkhead fitting rather than a twist lock connector. However, I am not 100% certain about this.

Chris
April 03, 2011 02:48PM
Neugene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am awaiting the arrival of a CZ-20 with an 8"
> coil. I am a fair hand with a soldering iron and
> know a little bit about "leak proofing". I am
> thinking about using waterproof 5 pin connectors
> to splice the coil cable to enable me to easily
> change coils. Am I correct in assuming that the 5"
> and 10.5" CZ-5, 6, 7 etc. coils are compatible
> with the CZ-20?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

i am going to do the same with my cz20 and excal! if you can swap coils on all the other czs im sure you can do it with the cz20. i used to hear that a machine needed to be re-calibrated to the new coil but i no longer believe that.
April 03, 2011 04:19PM
I know that the Excal does not have to be recalibrated , but you better check on the CZ ......Jim
April 04, 2011 09:24PM
They will interchange. There may be a 'slight' impedance difference between coils.........but (usually) probably not enough to require a re-calibration. Waterproofing will be paramount.
April 05, 2011 12:19AM
Thanks Tom, the waterproofing part should be relatively simple. I just wanted to make sure that there was not some voodoo between the box and the coil that I was unaware of.

Chris
April 05, 2011 07:14PM
Tom
Thanks for the clarification .......I was always under the assumption ( NEVER ASSUME ) that the machine had to be recalibrated ......Hmmmm.....Now you have me thinking even MORE towards a CZ21 !!...... Waterproofing was not my concern .....Calibrating was !!.....Hmmmmm !!.......And the plot thickens !!.....smiling smiley ....Jim