Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nautilus with 6'' coil ?

Posted by Harold,ILL. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nautilus with 6'' coil ?
July 29, 2015 03:35PM
Well I post this Question here as a lot of Nauty guys on this forum and other Nautilus forum super slow. I bought a NOS 6'' coil for my IIBa an took it to same test garden as my 10'' coil. I have a 8'' Quarter,9'' Nickel,10'' Wheat Penny and 11'' Merc. The 10'' coil hit them all easy so used same settings TP 35,Disc.20, Ground 65, in Ground Reject Disc. Mode as is what I used on my previous 2. I know it is asking a lot for a 6'' coil to hit the deeper coins. Anyways it hit the 8'' Quarter,9'' Nickel,But not the 10'' penny or 11'' Dime. No biggie as still awesome for a 6'' coil. Here is what kinda shocked Me. I turned Disc. down to 10 from 20 and it hit the 10'' Penny and 11'' Dime! Then I turned Disc. down to 5 and it couldn't see them again? The same at 0? But I went back up to 10 and it hit them both again? I went back up to 20 and lost them again? It seems for some reason the 10 Disc. is the Hot spot for Depth? You would think lower Disc. would still hit the deeper coins? Any one else notice this on a Nauty? P.S. Don't get me wrong still amazed the 6'' coil hits them on the Disc. side at all.
Re: Nautilus with 6'' coil ?
July 29, 2015 09:26PM
Re balance your coil below 10 disc and see what happens..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 30, 2015 12:29AM
Ditto...on what Keith said.
July 30, 2015 08:25PM
I did have it balanced below 10 as I always balance at 0 and then raise my Disc. to 20 which is where I run it most of the time. Some balance at there preferred Disc. setting. I use to do that ,But figured might as well balance at 0 then move Disc. up if need be. That is how I did my last IIBa and dug some deep coins so figured if it ain't broke? I don't think I ran it below 20 now that I think about it? I'm sure there was a reason ,But can't remember? I bet soon as I take it out more it will show why as must have dug more small iron as it does light up the ground with the Disc. below 15 for sure.
July 31, 2015 12:22AM
Harold thats why I prefer a 2b over a 2Ba...

Its hard to tell how far out your coil is with the 'a' model...

with the B model I could watch the coil slowly drift out of tune over time...and catch it before it started to have issues here and there...I never let mine go to the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock limits..

I ran my disc at 7 or 8 usually....

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 31, 2015 12:46AM
Why would this have anything to do with the coil being out of balance? It doesn't false as that is one way to tell on a IIBa as it false's and chirps on the Disc. side and this one purr's along like a kitten. One thing I always like about the IIBa is when you hit the button the loop balance is perfectly set every time instead of goin by audio which some peoples hearing isn't rite on. I know some will swear they can get it more precise,But I respectfully disagree. Now there is more adjustability with Sens. controls exposed like a IIB,But I have moderate ground and don't really need it. JMHO.
July 31, 2015 01:01AM
Are we on the same Page Harold...?

Im talking about balance your coil to the detector with the disc set low. set your disc where you want to run it then do your auto tune for R and C.....

as your coils slowly goes out of Tune it will still align in AUTO and also in manual ..but strange things can happen to the disc and or TX Power ability...on a manual one you can see it coming ...

R and C set at 12 oclock and the unit purss like a kitten..as they move apart weird things happen..

One thing that will let you know is see if you have to re ground bal the machine if you have disc low and have the coil tuned...of course if you have good dirt it may be hard to tell ..turn the TX up to 44 volts and see if you can see some feedback from the dirt on low disc vs higher disc...

By the way does your 10 inch coil work well on zero disc??

My Nauitlus' was crazy deep on zero disc.....which is still not accepting all by the way...the Nauiltus disc is not 180 degree's..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 01:10AM by Keith Southern.
July 31, 2015 01:25AM
Yes it will hit all the test coins including my 11'' Merc at 0.,But then again it hits it good at 20 Disc. Well this one was NOS so I would be surprised if coil is out of balance at all. But it is the newer thinner style that isn't as strong as the older thicker ones like I had on my Previous two. I will have to get it out in a real world hunt to see what's really what as even a test garden doesn't tell all. To be honest the 10'' coil is hard to swing for Me these days. I was lucky to find some of the brackets for the Whites rod conversion as this should make it easier to swing the 10'' coil. I must be gettin' Old as I use to be able to swing the S-ROD all day long no problem.
July 31, 2015 01:33AM
Yeah I know those thin ones look and swing better but the thick ones Ill tell ya are hard to beat for reliability..

I hear the thin one's go out more than the thick ones...

Let us know what comes of your hunts with it...

good luck..

that 6 is a deep coil for size vs any...

You may look into a 8 ..that's my favorite for the Naughty in my dirt or actually any dirt... keeps great depth and still light..I think in my soil the 8 is deeper than the 10...heck I know it is..sure a whole lot lighter...Ive dug some great DEEEEEEEP brass with that combo!!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla