Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

jumpy IDs gain silver and whatever

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
jumpy IDs gain silver and whatever
August 03, 2015 03:12AM
Wasted 2 hrs in a field filled with hotrocks. left and hit a spot close to home since I only had a few minutes left early yesterday. Got a very jumpy signal on the F75. lots of high tone, but mid and low as well. Dug it, and out came 2 nails, a foil scrap and the barber dime. The dime and nails were deeper than the foil and off a bit to one side. I had disc down to 4 at that point but gave up on it soon after with constant noise through all frequencies as I got a bit closer to the street powerlines.

around the corner of the house I got a deeper bunch of tones. definite lows and mids all jumbled up, but it said deep, so cut a big hole. The medallion was lying face down, with a rusted hook or something still attached to a loop on the back. I think this thing is bronze, but again no makers mark at all, so your guess is as good as mine. It isn't a belt buckle. I don't know mythology.

I went back this afternoon and basically dug a lot of shallow foil and pulltabs so after it rains again I might have a shot at deeper coins.

This bizarre stuff bugs me because I so want to be able to identify it all, but if I wasn't bound and determined to dig alot more jumpy sounds, I wouldn't have gotten the barber. I am trying to learn this lesson and not envision AU large cents and gold coins popping out of the ground left and right.
Re: jumpy IDs gain silver and whatever
August 03, 2015 03:16AM
Very nice Rod---better than anything I can share. Too hot here for me.
August 03, 2015 07:37AM
That medallion is awesome! Congrats on the dime.
August 03, 2015 09:32AM
Two nice finds. thumbs down We are about burnt up down here again. HH jim tn
August 03, 2015 04:31PM
Nice digs, wish I could help ID the medallion, but no ideas confused smiley

hh,
Brian
August 03, 2015 05:19PM
I like both those digs and the medallion is well, I can see my daughter wanting one lol. She loves mythology, reads about it daily. Great stuff and that mixed signal was right on looks like. Nice barber btw.
August 03, 2015 08:37PM
Hellenistic Laocoon and Sons.... possibly. Neat find Rodman!
August 03, 2015 08:49PM
While I didn't find the medallion yet - it is definitely based on this ancient statue of Heracles - hope it helps!

[www.dreamstime.com]
August 03, 2015 09:14PM
Nice finds!! I'd check the medallion under magnification for some identifying marks (front and back). I'm sure several of us would like a pic of the back.
You don't say how deep the medallion was, but maybe something else will turn up there (besides the 1907 dime) that gives you a clue as to period for the medallion. Perhaps a person versed in antiques/jewelry could help you?
Good luck and let us know if you find out what you have. It's nice; the edges are all crisp. Great shape.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 04, 2015 04:18AM
The link Carvlin posted mis-identifies the statue.

Ozzie nailed it - Laocoon and his sons being dragged down by the monster sea serpent.

Gee, you'd think that you guys never had to read Virgil's Anead for fourth year Hugh School Latin?

Trojan priest destroyed for some prophecy or other that some god didn't like.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]ön_and_His_Sons

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
August 04, 2015 11:17AM
You folks impress me with your range of knowledge. Thanks a lot. I will search it again for a makers mark when I get time.
August 04, 2015 04:25PM
Apologies - mislabeled on the website as Heracles
August 05, 2015 02:44AM
Here is the reverse. You can see the remainder of the rusted hanger or whatever on the hook at the top.