Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold help

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold help
August 01, 2015 09:05PM
I know the ring is gold but the other target gives the same reading is that gold? And what does the 3.2 mean. I have no clue confused smiley found with the racer

[www.thetreasuredepot.com]

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2015 03:25PM by Lawrenzo.
Re: Gold help
August 01, 2015 09:12PM
3.2 might refer to the weight of the nugget??

Cool finds low!
August 01, 2015 09:26PM
Nice finds!!!! Can't help you with your question though.

Go Racer!!!

Go Deus!!!!
August 01, 2015 11:56PM
Dayum Lawrenzo looks like you had a double gold day to me! OUTSTANDING!!!!!! The question is, what else did you dig?
August 02, 2015 02:00AM
Dude, thats a killer find. Weigh it, it looks to be a gold button...you know, smelted down gold...bet it weighs 3.2 dmt
August 02, 2015 03:28AM
WoW, nice finds Lawrenzo, both of those gold finds look old and 49er periodthumbs down
August 02, 2015 03:33AM
Thanks guys I kept my exciment down till I could at least hope it was gold...now whateye popping smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 02, 2015 04:23AM
Lawrenzo, To me it doesn't look like 3.2, but 32. The 'point' looks like a surface blemish in the melted button. It's hard to tell how large it is.

Have you weighed it on an ounce scale? It doesn't look large enough by the looks of the stamped letters to be 32 pennyweights(dwt's), but could be--the yeller doesn't take up much space!

You ought to bring it to a good, reputable Sacramento area gold buyer to get a purity ballpark estimate. Ray is right--it looks real good. When I sell the metal, it's usually in Oroville or a refiner, so I can't steer you to anyone in your area. Beautiful! Joel
August 02, 2015 04:43AM
It was common for miners to melt their flour gold/dust into gold blobs like you found. It was easier to keep up with after they had done a clean up and such. They would often stamp or etch the weight of the blob on it like yours. Blob aint the official name for it...the real name escapes my memory.
August 02, 2015 05:24AM
Is it a dore button ???
August 02, 2015 07:07AM
I agree that it looks like 32 rather than 3.2
August 02, 2015 12:49PM
I'm glad somebody is still digging. I've been hiding in the house (from the heat) for the past several weeks, waiting for more hospitable temps and humidity.
Great finds, Lo! Congrats.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 02, 2015 01:22PM
32 grains maybe. Put it on a scale bud.
August 02, 2015 01:41PM
Ausume find lowboy. Txquest
August 04, 2015 10:10PM
Congrats on the gold finds.

There are a couple of tests that you can use to determine the carat; gold acid test and density.

Below is a procedure for measuring density of gold jewelry, but you’ll need an accurate scale. I hope this helps.

Got the information for measuring density from a “Rocks and Minerals” book a couple of years ago.

A) need an accurate scale to measure the density of objects. For objects less than 5 grams, a .01 gram resolution is better for more accuracy.
cool smiley Need a small container that holds water. It needs to be large enough to completely submerge the ring, yet small enough to keep the weight down when partially filled with water. I use a cylindrical pill bottle that is 2/3 filled with water.
C) Need a thin string (like a single strand of dental floss), or very thin wire filament. (sewing thread will absorb some water, which will slightly increase the density reading by lowering the water displacement. A thick piece of wire will decrease the density reading by increasing the water displacement).

1) 1st , you need to weigh the ring while dry. Write down the weight of the ring in grams.

2) 2nd, weigh the container that is filled high enough with water to completely submerge the ring, without the ring touching the bottom or sides of the container. Write down the weight of the container and water in grams.

3) 3rd, put one end of the thin string or wire through the ring, and hold both ends of the string while the ring hangs down. While the water container is on the scale, completely submerge the ring in the water without the ring touching the bottom of the container or the sides of the container. Write down the weight in grams.

4) 4th, subtract the weight from step 2) from the weight from step 3). This is the weight of the water that was displaced by the submerged ring. In other words, it is the weight of the volume of water that the submerged ring occupied (the weight of the rise in water level).

5) 5th, the density is equal to step 1) divided by step 4).

density = mass/volume. density = mass in grams divided by volume in cubic centimeters.

Because water density = 1, 1 cubic centimeter of water is equal to 1 gram. Water is the standard for density.

The mass of the gold ring is its weight in grams. The volume of the gold ring is the weight of the water displaced by the submerged gold ring. (submerged ring water weight plus the water and container weight minus the water and container weight)

Hollow gold items and gold with stones will have less density because of the air inside or because the stones lower the overall density.
From the gold that I’ve found:
10k generally ranges from 10.5g/cm3 up to around 11.5g/cm3
14k generally ranges from 11.5g/cm3 up to around 13.5g/cm3
18k generally ranges from 14g/cm3 up to around 16.5g/cm3

Old, saltw@ter corroded 9k, 10k, and even 14k gold generally has a lower density because some of the alloy leached out during the corrosion process.

Gold acid test on a touchstone is another way to test for gold.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
August 04, 2015 10:58PM
Congrats on the find, Lowboy. Hope it turns out to be gold. Personally, if gold isn't in the form of a coin, then I am numbered among the uninformed. Hope it goes well for ya. kevin
August 05, 2015 01:53AM
Dude, thats gold.
August 05, 2015 12:18PM
Definitely gold! A digital scale and an acid test kit is the only sure measurements that I trust. You can get them both fairly cheap on EBay. As a water hunter I always keep those and a diamond tester in my gear at all times to test any jewelry found. Congrats on your gold finds!