Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm going to make with a dumb question...'bout a 3 watt

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I'm going to make with a dumb question...'bout a 3 watt
August 15, 2015 07:12PM
I've been thinking about this around 5 minutes or so,I've had plenty of time to consider all angles...but I only see one. This is concerning a 1050 coil vs the X-8. How exactly again are we gaining better separation? It's a "blade" down the middle of the coil...the X-8 would only be seeing an 8" blade while the other just slightly larger. Is that what people mean by better separation? Please,someone explain why I didn't waste my money on the X-8 again....besides the weight I see no appreciable advantage. In fact,I've only found 2 things with it worth mentioning,and I've had it hung for a good 20 hours of hunting. I find all kinds of stuff with the stock coil,garbage or no garbage. Perhaps I need more time with the Sunray? It started out with a bang and after that...zero. That stock coil is something else,besides a boat anchor. I need to find some casters for it...but WHAT A COIL!!
Re: I'm going to make with a dumb question...'bout a 3 watt
August 16, 2015 01:45AM
For one thing it is easier to do a Minelab wiggle and get a 4 way silver warble on a silver coin next to a pull tab with less area to cross sweep if that makes any sense. I must admit I am biased as I love the X-8 on my Etrac and prefer the X-12 over the stock pro coil and no I'm not related to Ralph at Sunray. LOL! I just love his coils. Maybe for your style of hunting they are not for you as most guys in my area won't take the Pro coil of there Etrac/Exploerer which I love as it gives me an edge in some areas. I found a Merc. The other day next to a pull tab that I could ''wiggle'' out a 4 way warble with the X-8 that I couldn't have done with the stock coil. That is probally why it was still there because everybody and there brother has an Etrac with the pro coil in my area and this place has been pounded by most of them. JMHO.
August 16, 2015 01:50AM
IDXMonster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been thinking about this around 5 minutes or
> so,I've had plenty of time to consider all
> angles...but I only see one. This is concerning a
> 1050 coil vs the X-8. How exactly again are we
> gaining better separation? It's a "blade" down the
> middle of the coil...the X-8 would only be seeing
> an 8" blade while the other just slightly larger.
> Is that what people mean by better separation?
> Please,someone explain why I didn't waste my money
> on the X-8 again....besides the weight I see no
> appreciable advantage. In fact,I've only found 2
> things with it worth mentioning,and I've had it
> hung for a good 20 hours of hunting. I find all
> kinds of stuff with the stock coil,garbage or no
> garbage. Perhaps I need more time with the Sunray?
> It started out with a bang and after that...zero.
> That stock coil is something else,besides a boat
> anchor. I need to find some casters for it...but
> WHAT A COIL!!

When you run your X-8 coil, what levels of sensitivity do your run?? Many times with that coil you should be able to run full bore.
August 16, 2015 02:03AM
Thanks Harold,that makes a lot of sense,especially as you say when doing the cross sweep. I just got in from using it for about 2 hours tonight and realized one thing for sure I'm doing wrong with it. That coil is so hot that I can't really run it at 24 like I have been,it just picks out every stupid iota of rust bits and tiny flakes of wrappers and I get ALOT of falsing. That's probably why I can't find anything with it either,I'm so burned out from listening to that constant chirping that I just lose focus. I air tested my medium size wedding ring with it tonight out in the yard,manual 24 hit the ring at 08/12 from 16" high. If anyone thinks I'm kidding I'll make a video. It is simply too hot for the kind of areas I hunt a lot,which means to avoid the falsing I have to turn the Sens down,obviously. It never falsed just sitting there,I can turn it up to 28-30 and it just has a nice steady hum. The second it goes into motion it's chirping like a bird on crack. I have used it in a couple yards that were clean of trash and low mineralization,that thing is STUPID deep,just when the soil is wrong is when it goes bad. I'll turn it down,maybe run auto 16-18 and see how it does. As they say,a million people can't be wrong,I will work on it...smiling smiley

Kevin
August 16, 2015 03:06AM
WOW! Mine runs smooth as silk maybe you got a bad coil? But I also run Auto Sens. and not Manuel and I have an Etrac which to Me runs smoother in Auto +3. Also my ground is moderate to mild no hot ground around here.