Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

what is this

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
what is this
August 11, 2015 02:46AM
I found this the other day and if you can see in the photo it say dillar not dollar???eye popping smiley

[www.thetreasuredepot.com]

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: what is this
August 11, 2015 02:50AM
Looks oriental A larger photo and a photo of the other side would be helpful
August 11, 2015 03:03AM
Lawrenzo,

That looks like a Chinese Silver Dollar AKA 'Dragon Dollar'.
[www.dragondollar.com]

BUT...
I'm not familiar enough to know if any were legit with the obvious misspelling.

(In other words, it might be a counterfeit chinese coin...for a change.) smiling smiley

mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2015 03:06AM by Mike in CO.
August 11, 2015 03:22AM
My guess is that it may be a a older chinese fantasy piece, or a really poor counterfeit chinese silver dollar.
August 11, 2015 03:45AM
Nice find, whatever it is!!!!
August 11, 2015 04:24AM
My wife is Chinese and she says it is a counterfit Chinese silver dollar. A modern fake. Probably not silver. But it could be real silver. Center of coin says one Yuan. About 16 cent in U.S. Money. Sorry it is not real. In China I dug a few of their older coins that have the square hole in the center. No date. Figure they are at least a couple hundred years old, maybe quite a bit older. They did not put dates on them during that time. Still trying to clean the cookie crust off of them without destroying them after over a year. Cool looking coin though. Sorry for the bad response...Stuart
August 11, 2015 04:49AM
found this on eBay:

[www.ebay.com]

the one on eBay is probably a replica of the one you found, assuming yours has been in the ground a long time?

is it the size of a silver dollar?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
August 11, 2015 11:55AM
Stuart........... most Chinese coins do not have dates on them; rather, an era of emperor/dynasty identifies time-frame.
August 11, 2015 03:32PM
But this has one dllar on it what is up with that

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

August 11, 2015 04:41PM
I found something online called a Chinese Fantasy Dollar. Search for that and check out the various images. Some appear to be pretty similar to your find.

These days I hear you can buy Chinese Fantasy Metal Detectors.
August 11, 2015 07:19PM
Its a dragon dolllar althoug yours is fake I believe...Or a fantasy copy...

notice the word Dollar is spelled DLLAR

real ones are quite expensive I believe..??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
August 11, 2015 10:09PM
What if it's a real one with a mint error (in the misspelling of dollar)? How valuable would it be then?
From the picture, it has the look of old silver, best I can tell.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

August 12, 2015 02:26AM
I was offered two grand for it today at a coin dealer so now I'm really baffledsmoking smiley

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 12, 2015 02:28AM
I might would have let him have it! Did he give you a real value and the 2K was his offer............. Dang!!!!!
August 12, 2015 11:43PM
I would sell it to the dealer and save your duckets for the next latest and greatest machine that comes out >grinning smiley<
August 13, 2015 01:30AM
Lowboy

would you please take a better/closer up picture of the coin so we can see some better detail?
August 14, 2015 05:59AM
What did the dealer say exactly? From what I can find out from Chinese people that I know is that no dates were on coins until around 1948 or 1949. Never were there any American English on earlier coins. So from that I would say it is probably a fake if it is a Chinese coin. It could be from somewhere else however, such as Taiwan or Hongkong. From what I can gather, ONLY emperors were allowed to print coins for their personal use that contained the dragon emblem. All of this is my opinion from what little I understand of Chinese currency. So maybe it is very rare, just not Chinese per say. Was this found on a sight that only has older relics? Anyway I hope yours is real. Cool find no matter what...Stuart
August 14, 2015 06:46AM
search and recovery Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>From what I can find out from Chinese people that I know is that
> no dates were on coins until around 1948 or 1949.
> Never were there any American English on earlier coins.
>...Stuart

Stuart,
Here's a pic of the very popular/collectible 'Y31 Chinese silver dollar' minted in 1911:

Note the similarity to the OP pics.
Also note the English.

I'm with Lawrenzo, though...his is obviously mis-spelled, and I can't find any reference to that error in the legit coin world.

smiling smiley
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 06:50AM by Mike in CO.
August 14, 2015 03:30PM
Thanks for all of your input it's the Dllar that gives this coin life I can find no info but he said it is all silver no fillers...two grand....I'll go to a dealer I know in San Francisco and see what she says

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 16, 2015 02:01PM
What you have there, Lowboy, is a marvelous find!
The shroud of mystery, the riddle; your find is an enigma.
You hunted, you found. Now you hunt again for the meaning of what you found. Terrific!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC