Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My personal headphone observations....not lengthy but would love opinions

Posted by IDXMonster 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My personal headphone observations....not lengthy but would love opinions
September 05, 2015 01:14AM
I've been using Killer B Hornets on my IDX and Explorer. I've plugged my Auvio headphones into my IDX before and it wasn't a great pairing,the IDX having the kind of tone that it has. The other day I plugged the Auvio headphones into my Explorer and was very pleasantly surprised by how NICE and SMOOTH the audio was. It is a HUGE difference. I consider myself an audiophile of sorts,play in a rock band and I'm VERY picky about sound quality. It seems that the Explorer has a very musical quality to its sound output,perhaps by design,perhaps by coincidence. Regardless,I'm using the Auvio for now and will get a guy at work to solder up a nice coily cord for them. It's almost unreal how nice the Explorer sounds with these,though I know they're nowhere near as rugged as the Killer Bs. I'd love to throw the drivers into the Killer B chassis,anyone done a lot of experimenting with the Minelabs in particular? I know it'll draw more power,etc. it's totally worth it,I'm hooked. I've done some hunting with the Auvio/ML setup and it's great,not going back unless there's a real reason to. I just turn down the Limits a couple clicks,everything seems to be present in the phones so I don't see a downside. Just an experience I'm relating here....wish I could tell you about the killer finds I'm having but that's somewhere in the future apparently.
Re: My personal headphone observations....not lengthy but would love opinions
September 05, 2015 01:34AM
My Auvio's sound like crap paired with my etrac.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
September 05, 2015 02:52AM
If you're using a ML you owe it to yourself to get a pair of SkiWhiz 600 ohm speaker headphones. If you've ever had a pair of RAT phones no longer made, SW's phones are pretty much copied from them. It's hard to believe what a ML sounds like until you've plugged a pair of these into those machines.
September 05, 2015 05:25AM
Some detectors just plain sound great, others are like listening to a cheap portable radio, they just make noise.

Headphones and quality earbuds really are an extension of the machine and when you like a set, detecting is far more enjoyable.
You go the extra mile, find a few more targets.

Got 2 sets of identical Gray-Ghosts, purchased a few years appart. One simply sounds much better.

As for Minelabs, they spoil you with their tones. Been watching a few Deus vids on youtube as of late, great viewing, very nicely made.
The detector sounds are real time. And it just sounds scratchy f&rty tiny, like it is trying to hold a tone. But really just can't.
I probably needs a few tweeks in the audio settings menu, but it sure reminds me of why I didn't get along with mine.
It doesn't sound sure of itself :-)

Now, my hearing is messed up for a number of reasons. I've got a threshold of my own and distinguishing squeky tiny sounds which ramp up and down fast.
Well it's like listening to someone mumbling words together. My brain just simply doesn't compute.

Ergonomics and audio are what you swing, from a user standpoint it needs most attention. The whole mineralisation, unmasking, depth, high conductor, low conductor, ID, etc, needs to be spot on, but from a user standpoint. It is secondary,... but then a lot of great engineering is done behind the scenes :-)

HH
Johnb
September 05, 2015 10:02AM
Sunray Pro Golds for the Explorers/Etrac---excellent match up.
September 05, 2015 10:11AM
Yeah, upgrading Explorer headphones is [ a must do ]
Try a set of [ noise cancel ] phones w/Explorer and you won't believe it!!

Some years back I plugged every set available at the Dealer into an Explorer and
"Killer B's" we're best.
Things have moved on and there are some great options available now.
So it will pay to check out some New Technology headphones.

NB You will hear the difference between trash & treasure!
September 05, 2015 02:44PM
To each his own I guess as still using my 8 year old Calrads and of course have a new pair in the trunk. Used them on many units including Explorers, Sov's that are super tone units and they worked fine.
Tried a bunch in a dealers shop and didn't do anything for me...can't hear my wife over the supper table but can certainly hear a 10-12 inch silver dime and can pick up audio variances that others can't.Certainly we all have different hearing and what works for one may not for another. Over the years have spent mucho dollars on more units that I can remember and the worked well on all of them.
So in addendum use what works for you comes to mind but I know one thing if I left my headphones at home would not hunt...
September 05, 2015 02:48PM
I use my Pro Golds on my etrac but just wanted to go wireless. But the Auvios just sound bad on it.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
September 05, 2015 03:46PM
I have a different set of Headphones I prefer for all of my 4 Detector's. The Etrac I like the Jolly Rodgers ultimate a nice smooth type tone. On the CZ-3D I like the Killer Bee wasp for the Modulated High tone Tink type hits it has. The XL-PRO I like the Jimmy Sierra Maxi phone II Models. And last,But certainly not least on the Nautilus IIBa there is nothin' like the Grey Ghost DMC Headphones. You can really adjust these just rite to emphasize the soft deep disc. only tone it has on Deep coins.
September 05, 2015 03:59PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you're using a ML you owe it to yourself to get
> a pair of SkiWhiz 600 ohm speaker headphones. If
> you've ever had a pair of RAT phones no longer
> made, SW's phones are pretty much copied from
> them. It's hard to believe what a ML sounds like
> until you've plugged a pair of these into those
> machines.

Thanks Jack, glad that you like the headphones that I made for you. I have had many happy customers but being the honest fella that I am I have to say that one of the last sets I made a fella with an Explorer wasn't real happy about them, I believe he said that that were not loud enough. The only thing that I can think of is that the speakers I got might not of been 600 ohm like I always use. It is hard to find these speakers and possibly I could of been sent speakers that were not 600 ohm and I did not realize it, I do not think this is the case but could be possible. I order my parts for the set I am building (I do not stock parts) and I try to get them made & shipped as soon as possible, I will be extra careful purchasing and checking over the speakers I use. It has been awhile since I have made a set of phones (real busy at work) but wil make a set for anyone that wants a set.
September 05, 2015 05:32PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> Jack Flynn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you're using a ML you owe it to yourself to
> get
> > a pair of SkiWhiz 600 ohm speaker headphones.
> If
> > you've ever had a pair of RAT phones no longer
> > made, SW's phones are pretty much copied from
> > them. It's hard to believe what a ML sounds
> like
> > until you've plugged a pair of these into those
> > machines.
>
> Thanks Jack, glad that you like the headphones
> that I made for you. I have had many happy
> customers but being the honest fella that I am I
> have to say that one of the last sets I made a
> fella with an Explorer wasn't real happy about
> them, I believe he said that that were not loud
> enough. The only thing that I can think of is that
> the speakers I got might not of been 600 ohm like
> I always use. It is hard to find these speakers
> and possibly I could of been sent speakers that
> were not 600 ohm and I did not realize it, I do
> not think this is the case but could be possible.
> I order my parts for the set I am building (I do
> not stock parts) and I try to get them made &
> shipped as soon as possible, I will be extra
> careful purchasing and checking over the speakers
> I use. It has been awhile since I have made a set
> of phones (real busy at work) but wil make a set
> for anyone that wants a set.
Can you take and rework my SRay ProGolds? How much and do you take paypal?

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
September 05, 2015 09:38PM
I went out today and really spent some time with the Auvios on. To me they just sound smoother,but again,everyone is different and HEARING seems to be one of the big differences among people of any age. My Dad is about deaf for all practical purposes but cannot STAND anything with bass in it. I did not know he could even hear the bass....go figure.
Anyway,whatever works I guess. The build quality sucks,the cord sucks,they physically hurt my ears after a few hours but the tones,to me,are better. The Killer Bs are superior in every other way by a LONG shot,I just wish they had a bit more musicality to them. But then again,it's not what they were built for.
September 06, 2015 12:12AM
khouse Wrote:
> SkiWhiz Wrote:
> -----
> > Jack Flynn Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > If you're using a ML you owe it to yourself
> to
> > get
> > > a pair of SkiWhiz 600 ohm speaker headphones.
> > If
> > > you've ever had a pair of RAT phones no
> longer
> > > made, SW's phones are pretty much copied from
> > > them. It's hard to believe what a ML sounds
> > like
> > > until you've plugged a pair of these into
> those
> > > machines.
> >
> > Thanks Jack, glad that you like the headphones
> > that I made for you. I have had many happy
> > customers but being the honest fella that I am
> I
> > have to say that one of the last sets I made a
> > fella with an Explorer wasn't real happy about
> > them, I believe he said that that were not loud
> > enough. The only thing that I can think of is
> that
> > the speakers I got might not of been 600 ohm
> like
> > I always use. It is hard to find these speakers
> > and possibly I could of been sent speakers that
> > were not 600 ohm and I did not realize it, I do
> > not think this is the case but could be
> possible.
> > I order my parts for the set I am building (I
> do
> > not stock parts) and I try to get them made &
> > shipped as soon as possible, I will be extra
> > careful purchasing and checking over the
> speakers
> > I use. It has been awhile since I have made a
> set
> > of phones (real busy at work) but wil make a
> set
> > for anyone that wants a set.
> Can you take and rework my SRay ProGolds? How
> much and do you take paypal?

Yes & yes. pm sent.
September 06, 2015 12:37AM
Steve the phones you speak of I now own! The ones that didn't work. I talked with the fella that purchased them and asked if he had the volume wide open but he told me he had severe hearing loss anyway. Actually the volume was up on the machine but turned all the way down on the phones. They will blow your ears off lol. They work wonderfully and I now have 3 sets of 600 ohm SW phones.................
September 06, 2015 12:10PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> Steve the phones you speak of I now own! The ones
> that didn't work. I talked with the fella that
> purchased them and asked if he had the volume wide
> open but he told me he had severe hearing loss
> anyway. Actually the volume was up on the machine
> but turned all the way down on the phones. They
> will blow your ears off lol. They work wonderfully
> and I now have 3 sets of 600 ohm SW
> phones.................

Thanks Jack, sorry to hear that the original person that had them has hearing loss but glad that the phones that I made for him were ok.
September 06, 2015 04:39PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> If you're using a ML you owe it to yourself to get
> a pair of SkiWhiz 600 ohm speaker headphones. If
> you've ever had a pair of RAT phones no longer
> made, SW's phones are pretty much copied from
> them. It's hard to believe what a ML sounds like
> until you've plugged a pair of these into those
> machines.

Jack------Check your P.M.'s---you've got mail.
September 06, 2015 10:19PM
600 ohm? 300 per side? Does there come a point that the detector won't have enough OOOMPH to drive them? Anyone know the headphone circuit rating on the Ex2?
September 06, 2015 10:53PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> 600 ohm? 300 per side? Does there come a point
> that the detector won't have enough OOOMPH to
> drive them? Anyone know the headphone circuit
> rating on the Ex2?
Each speaker that I use is 600 ohm, I have never tried them on a high end detector but they sound loud & clear & mellow on the detectors that I have used them on. A speaker will only use whatever ooomph that is put to them, I wouldn't worry about not having enough power to drive them.
September 07, 2015 12:20AM
Thanks Ski
September 08, 2015 01:52AM
Jack------I sent you another P.M.--------DelJack Flynn Wrote:
> Steve the phones you speak of I now own! The ones
> that didn't work. I talked with the fella that
> purchased them and asked if he had the volume wide
> open but he told me he had severe hearing loss
> anyway. Actually the volume was up on the machine
> but turned all the way down on the phones. They
> will blow your ears off lol. They work wonderfully
> and I now have 3 sets of 600 ohm SW
> phones.................
September 08, 2015 12:25PM
Minelab headphones--
From Rick Viola:

A friend let me play with his Explorer II and I did a few experiments measuring true rms votage, no load measurements and tests with some known impedances.

The output impedance works out to 150 ohms!
Using the UR-30 you end up with 200 ohm phones due to the 100 ohm speakers in series. Those Koss are pretty loud.
Anyway, there is no need for 32 ohm phones and theoretically with all else being equal, 150 ohms (when in series) should be the best match. The phones I developed work quite well at 250 ohms.
Many 150 ohm rated phones are theoretically 75 ohms when connected to the Minelab. Althouth there is some extra resistance due to the pots even when set to max volume, wasting a little bit of power.

--------------------------

Since I have measured the output to be about 150 ohms, the best load will be 150 ohms.
A stereo headphone rated at 32 ohms will end up with its speakers in series (with the Minelab output jack wired the way it is)resulting in 64 ohms. That is not to far from the 150.
This type of configuration was obviously done to accommodate home stereo headphones. Why, who knows. Maybe a deal with Koss.

A typical detecting headphone with 150 ohm speakers (that are actually mono) may have a switch that many refer to as a stereo/mono switch. This actually connects to the ring rather than the sleeve(ground), just to accommodate Minelab type of output jack configuration. This is not a stereo/mono switch. These type are still in parallel which makes then 75 ohms when connected to a Minelab. Even closer to the 150. As you move away (above or below) 150, you theoretically have less power than you would if the phones were really 150 ohms. This measured with an impedance meter, not an ohm meter. A 150 ohm speaker may read much less with an ohm meter if there is a high inductive component.
Although some speakers are just loud because of the efficient design.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me