Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Impressions of my "new to me" Nokta Fors CoRe

Posted by thumperjones 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Impressions of my "new to me" Nokta Fors CoRe
October 10, 2015 01:57AM
So after using Tesoros for the past couple years, owning an Omega, and fiddling with some other detectors that my friends owned, I became intrigued with the Fors CoRe. Mainly for wanting a machine with the tonal info of a Tesoro, but with an ID readout to make hunting modern trash a little more "relaxing" for lack of a better term.

Things I like:
1) The ergonomics and design of this machine is fantastic. I love the funky layout of the control box mounting and the joystick. It works, and it flat out works perfect. Balances great with bigger coils, and has just the info you need at hand.

2) The backlit screen(s). Having the backlit screen has been a gamechanger for me. Most of my detecting gets done on the way home from work, I found myself hunting in the dark by feel and sound with my Tesoros more often than not. The light on the ID screen comes on when I hit a target, and goes off when I resume searching. Works great, and very handy.

3) The flashlight. Now, I'll admit, this was one feature I kinda laughed off when researching the detector. And all my buddies laughed at the tiny little cheesy looking LED when I showed them in the daylight. But lemme tell you, it's no joke. Illuminates the search area just right. Once again, very well thought out and handy.

4) Performance! The detector has exceeded my expectations with it's depth (even in my red dirt) and separation in iron. My experience has been the same as others have raved about. ZERO complaints in depth or separation departments. Better than any machine I've used.

5) The sounds! The way the audio can blend together and put an iron "blip/grunt" on the end of a high tone is great for telling trash from a good target. As I'll mention later, this is an absolute must for this machine.

6) Search modes. I usually hunt in DI2 so I can tell the probable depth of each target as I go over it. This is super handy when trying to pick an old target out of dense shallow modern junk. The DI3 is great for just general hunting in modern trash, and a MUST for areas littered with bottle caps.

7) Simplicity. This detector is the best I've seen that can just be switched on, GB'ed, and proceed to offer great performance to even the novice user. Best "turn on and go" machine ever. Anybody can use it, and get great results without a steep learning curve. I think Nokta should really emphasize the ease of use in their ads.

Thinks I nitpick:
1) Falls over too easy when setting down to dig. The bottom of the control box is very narrow and the machine falls over really easy. The control box is narrow to keep it from banging your hip while you swing. So that just may be the way it has to be. No problem, I just lay it over on it's side with the decal side towards the ground. I can live with it.

2) No concentric coils! Not really a surprise, most manufacturers are steering away from them. I can live without them but the option would be nice.

Things I HATE. The really bad and ugly:
1) The Target ID is all but useless. Most coins, aluminum scrap, can chunks, and deep screwcaps all read the same ole 82. eye rolling smiley Sometimes you can roll along in DI3 and pick out screwcaps with the audio. But it's not entirely accurate.
2) The Target ID. Seriously, it sucks. Id rather them leave it off and give us a price break and keep the great audio. Because without the great audio, this thing would be a turd.

In the Target ID's defense, it does work great for pure relic hunting. It will tell you all the nails and foil junk with good accuracy. But throw in can slaw, and tabs and all bets are off.

So for what I mostly use this machine for, it's great. But I may have to get another machine for urban hunting, particularly for coins. I had been advised about this before my purchase, so I'm not too surprised. Only problem is, to afford another machine for urban hunting, I'll have to sell this one. So a more true "all purpose" rig will probably replace my CoRe. But not by choice. Rather by budget.sad smiley
Re: Impressions of my "new to me" Nokta Fors CoRe
October 10, 2015 02:08AM
You may have to look into doing what some of us have done because of the same things you listed. Get an older Minelab FBS machine for the coin hunting in modern trash. Then have the Core for iron junk sites and Minelab for the coin hunting. You can find the older Minelabs for quite a bargain.
October 10, 2015 02:20AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You may have to look into doing what some of us
> have done because of the same things you listed.
> Get an older Minelab FBS machine for the coin
> hunting in modern trash. Then have the Core for
> iron junk sites and Minelab for the coin hunting.
> You can find the older Minelabs for quite a
> bargain.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I'd care for a Minelab due to the complexity. I've always liked the simpler detectors. I do enjoy learning to use a new machine, however. And since I've never even held a Minelab i may be totally wrong and full of crap for saying they are complex, lol tongue sticking out smiley

May have to find someone close that has one I can check out. If Nokta could get an accurate ID on these things, I'd seriously never look for another detector....ever. I love this machine.
October 10, 2015 02:45AM
Be careful what you wish for!!!

You might live happily ever after if it comes true!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
October 10, 2015 02:53AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be careful what you wish for!!!
>
> You might live happily ever after if it comes
> true!
>
>
>
> Keith

Haha I could live with that. Especially since I'd spend more time detecting and not checking to see what else is out there, lol! That's part of the fun though. Thanks for the machinewinking smiley