Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Variability and pitch on CTX

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Variability and pitch on CTX
October 11, 2015 11:17PM
Can someone help me. How can I make the CTX make silver coins ring as a very high pitch like you can on a etrac? I know on the etrac if you move the variability up to 29 that silver really rings out with a very high tone. Can this be done on the CTX and if so how do I set it to do this? Thanks
Re: Variability and pitch on CTX
October 11, 2015 11:56PM
Sergei gives as good an explanation comparing tones on the two as anyone.
[www.metaldetectingworld.com]

A lot depends on how you run the etrac as to how close you can dupicate the silver sound. I run my pitch around 22/24 on the etrac as higher tones and headphones choices become uncomfortable at some point. Increasing threshold pitch on the CTX about 2 or 3 points begins to simulate the etrac tones but you never quite get a perfect match , although the tones are certainly distinct enough to stop you in your tracks even in heavy modern trash
October 12, 2015 02:13PM
Might try asking the question on the CTX forum as lots of info on a specific forum...Never used one but have read complaints of previous Explorer users missing that stop you in your tracks prevalent on earlier versions of Explorers...
October 13, 2015 03:12AM
The answer is NO. You cannot based on my experiences make a CTX mimmick an Etrac or XS or any of the explorer series while over silver. Sort of ashamed. When a company finds the right thing (screaming tone on silver) why not continue to incorporate it into future releases------at least till something better is discovered.

The cats meow would be an etrac with the tone bins and speed-separation of CTX and the silver warble of XS explorer-----and I almost forgot--weight about 3-4 lbs total.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2015 03:19AM by tnsharpshooter.
October 13, 2015 07:57AM
TNSS -- That description made me kick my leg a little like a dog being scratched on the belly. Lol The more ya'll talk about the finer points of the CTX, the more I miss having one. The tone bin assignments was probably one of my favorite things about the CTX. With each generation of the FBS detectors comes another little something they upgrade that makes it hard to go back to the previous model that doesn't have it. I started with the newer ones and have went back to the original but I have been thinking heavy on selling what I have and going for an eTrac or CTX.

If I go the eTrac route, I can use these coils I have bought for the XS and have a really good arsenal for it. If I go CTX, I will get a few neater features (tone bin assignment) over the eTrac but will be stuck with expensive CTX only coils. You are right...a newer eTrac like machine with certain CTX features would be a knock out of the park for Minelab. But they have never listened to customers.

Had this been a Makro or Nokta creation, we would have had these things yrs ago.
October 13, 2015 06:42PM
Not only are there a better selection of less expensive coils but the rods are way cheaper.

I liked my CTX but with the thought of the above and potential repair cost once warrant expired I sold it and got the Etrac.
I do missed the combined tones and target trace but I have been using the X5 and am digging less iron than I ever did with the ctx and 6"coil. Not really hunting much as it is so dry but I am really liking the etrac and x5/x8 combinations.

It has passed some test that the ctx would not so I'm content.

Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TNSS -- That description made me kick my leg a
> little like a dog being scratched on the belly.
> Lol The more ya'll talk about the finer points of
> the CTX, the more I miss having one. The tone bin
> assignments was probably one of my favorite things
> about the CTX. With each generation of the FBS
> detectors comes another little something they
> upgrade that makes it hard to go back to the
> previous model that doesn't have it. I started
> with the newer ones and have went back to the
> original but I have been thinking heavy on selling
> what I have and going for an eTrac or CTX.
>
> If I go the eTrac route, I can use these coils I
> have bought for the XS and have a really good
> arsenal for it. If I go CTX, I will get a few
> neater features (tone bin assignment) over the
> eTrac but will be stuck with expensive CTX only
> coils. You are right...a newer eTrac like machine
> with certain CTX features would be a knock out of
> the park for Minelab. But they have never listened
> to customers.
>
> Had this been a Makro or Nokta creation, we would
> have had these things yrs ago.
October 14, 2015 12:13AM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
> Can someone help me. How can I make the CTX make
> silver coins ring as a very high pitch like you
> can on a etrac? I know on the etrac if you move
> the variability up to 29 that silver really rings
> out with a very high tone. Can this be done on the
> CTX and if so how do I set it to do this? Thanks

If you use 4TFe or 35 or 50 tone/etc it will sound just like an Etrac

you can't use "combined" tone ID -- at that point it cuts out that sweet "silver" tone that you're used to hearing on the E series machines
October 15, 2015 01:37AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> TNSS -- That description made me kick my leg a
> little like a dog being scratched on the belly.
> Lol The more ya'll talk about the finer points of
> the CTX, the more I miss having one. The tone bin
> assignments was probably one of my favorite things
> about the CTX. With each generation of the FBS
> detectors comes another little something they
> upgrade that makes it hard to go back to the
> previous model that doesn't have it. I started
> with the newer ones and have went back to the
> original but I have been thinking heavy on selling
> what I have and going for an eTrac or CTX.
>
> If I go the eTrac route, I can use these coils I
> have bought for the XS and have a really good
> arsenal for it. If I go CTX, I will get a few
> neater features (tone bin assignment) over the
> eTrac but will be stuck with expensive CTX only
> coils. You are right...a newer eTrac like machine
> with certain CTX features would be a knock out of
> the park for Minelab. But they have never listened
> to customers.
>
> Had this been a Makro or Nokta creation, we would
> have had these things yrs ago.

Daniel, at the current time I would pass on CTX. For the following reasons. Coil wise like you said you're stuck basically with the high $$$ minelabs. Second, CTX is getting old, if minelab was to release a new machine whose performance trumps CTX-----CTXs would be a dime a dozen. I do expect Minelab if they do release a new flagship to follow suit like they did with CTX and have the new released detector's coils proprietary. These possible aftermarket coils for the explorers and etracs is what has kept them alive----besides their still I think stellar performance on coins.

Minelab if they would (had) get their head screwed on right-----they could have really already smoked a lot of other manufacturers. Even with the buffoonery weight of their machines they are still doing pretty good.
The older generations and the ladies need/like lighter detectors-----hence Deus.

Granted Deus weight probably not achievable for minelab-----but 3- 3.5 lbs is very doable.