Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is a good detector in the $350 range??

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What is a good detector in the $350 range??
November 20, 2015 03:53PM
I have a friend whose wife is going to buy him a detector. I was thinking ACE 350? Does it make the bell sound for hi tone?
Re: What is a good detector in the $350 range??
November 20, 2015 04:42PM
TreasureTek Elite from Cabela's. It's a eurotek with 11" DD and 4" concentric coils. list at $359 but can use coupons to get cheaper.
November 20, 2015 04:45PM
You can buy the Teknetics Gamma 6000 for $295 from Walmart online. $319.34 here in the Dallas area after tax, free in-store pickup or shipping. Hard to beat at that price...

Amazon has it at this price as well...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 05:36PM by TexHunter.
wjs
November 20, 2015 05:24PM
Fisher F5. I think John has one he would let go for $350.
November 20, 2015 05:26PM
If she buys one used, she can get him a much better unit for the same price as the cheaper ones are new.

On that note...I have a nice Minelab Explorer XS and accessories I would part ways with for $275. That would be a heck of a coin hunting machine for him.
November 20, 2015 05:46PM
Wow, that is tempting Daniel. I'm going to call and talk to her. And to everyone else, I appreciate your feedback!!!
November 20, 2015 05:55PM
I would take that Minelab XS if my back say yes!

Nice machines out there, the Teknetics really perform well for the money.
November 20, 2015 05:59PM
Daniel, I just thought of something. This guy is going to be brand new to detectors. He lives in a remodeled 1800's house and I am the one who put meatl detecting in his head. Is that Minelab "new-user" friendly? Thanks........kevin
November 20, 2015 06:19PM
I have a Tek t2,2 fisher CZ's a tesoro tejon,tesoro golden sabre II and a Tek gamma 6000 now for a little over a year,its still my go to machine period.
If you can get one from wal mart at that price,I pid way more jump on it.
November 20, 2015 06:36PM
Thinking New in Box for the Christmas present experience.....

Eurotek Pro if ground balance isn't needed.

F44 if ground balance is needed, only the F44 needs another coil to really enjoy it. 10" eliptical concentric or the 11" DD.

I don't have any experience with the Whites Treasuremaster but it looks interesting.

The Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro looks good to0 if you like lots of options, but I've never ran one.

Tesoro Cibola ?

Good luck.
HH
Mike
November 20, 2015 07:45PM
If he could cough up another $50 he could get a Teknetics T2 Classic. Just need to find a dealer willing to take $400 for one.
I also think the Tesoro Vaquero would be a good detector for his first. You can't go wrong with knobs....
November 20, 2015 08:02PM
I would say the vaquero or cibola. Vaquero for its price is probably the deepest and best detector for all hunting outside water. Put the disc knob on the mark just before nickel and dig all repeatable targets. Be surprised at how much treasure you will find.
November 20, 2015 10:36PM
Remember that he's gonna need a pinpointer too........
November 20, 2015 11:26PM
You can also get a new Minelab 305 for that price.
November 21, 2015 12:05AM
You should try the new Whites machines, TreasurePro May be a good one
November 21, 2015 12:13AM
When helping anyone out entering the hobby always ask a few key points ?

First remind him that all land apart from his own need permission to search... Don't wanna dig up someone's nuke bunker thinking your on to the best hoard of coins in the universe.

Then always welcome is to get insurance if possible... Personally I've never shut down a local village grid with one almighty unlucky plunge of the spade... But someone might want to see you in court due to them laying some dodgy shallow cable in the first place.

With the machine...

Budget as you've already mentioned so very important.... cater for probe and digging tools, having the right gear adds to the enjoyment of the hobby.

Do they have any injuries that would affect the way they swing a machine... If so look at the best way forward being with a lightweight machine or harness.

Then do they want a simple beep and dig machine or something that needs involvement over a period of time.

Then look at where they will be hunting.... Then make good jugment on a deep machine for pasture or blisteringly fast machine to cut it amongst the iron, maybe a good allrounder/beach.

Them do they need to know what's under the coil.. If not keep things simple and go for a none VDI machine, Using audio only machines is one of the most efficient ways of hunting and takes away doubt from one of your senses.... But if in heavy trash sites a VDI is a must to keep your sanity and your knees intact.

Last... have fun and respect the hobby and all that it has to offer you...bottle caps and ring pulls :0) .. but you could get the find of a lifetime.

Think that's covers a few to put forward to a green digger.

Few more points but that
November 21, 2015 12:40AM
Teknetics Eurotek Pro is way better in every regard than the doorbell tone Ace series. The T2 Clasdic is one of the best bang for the $$$ right now and can be bought just a little over the budget mentioned. F44 and Treasure Pro are 2 others to look at.

Walt,

From the GA-FL line

Silver microMax, CTX 3030, Excal 2, ATPro
November 21, 2015 12:49AM
I sure appreciate all of the feedback, guys!!!! I am thinking of the T2 Classic. I found one that's brand new and reasonable. I will scholl my friend when he gets his machine on Dec 25th. He lives about 85 miles East of me and we will start by hunting the yard of his remodeled 1800's built home. That way, I can address each question as he poses them........to the best of my ability. I will stress the need to carry out all pulltabs and other debris and not just placing trash back in its respective hole. And to alway fill holes. Permission on private land......etc etc. Thanks guys! Happy Thanksgiving!!! kevin
November 21, 2015 02:03AM
I am sending you a pm with a price that I can do for you for a new one.
November 21, 2015 03:52AM
Good Talk Today Kevin!!!

I think you did right going after the Classic T2 for that money!

As I mentioned get the best bang for your money and he may stick with it!!

Right Now the Classic T2 for THAT MONEY is hard to beat..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 21, 2015 03:36PM
Lots of good advice from the forum. Rel your first post the ace 350 is sure a nice unit but will call every rusty bottlecap a high coin so unless you expect to do all your detecting in boonies not recommended as in a park it will drive you bonkers...
November 22, 2015 02:20AM
The little extra money bought you a machine that you want out grow.
November 22, 2015 02:47PM
Guys, this is all great info. I really appreciate this!!!! On a side note: I am noticing that the little Notice that I used to get: "You've got new messages" is not showing up anymore, and I am not getting an email stating that I "have new messages on Dankowski's Metal Detecting Forum" like I used to receive. Who should I contact about this?? Or is this a problem for everyone?
November 22, 2015 04:09PM
Look in you junk email. I had same issue and found them all in the junk folder.