Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

crawlspace question

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
crawlspace question
December 19, 2015 03:18AM
I have a question for all you more experienced folk:

I will be heading underneath an old schoolhouse built in 1839. There is a crawlspace that is only a foot or two high per the owner, but I have not seen it yet. I will have my G2. I am assuming I will be using only the 5" coil to keep as much as possible from getting any signal from the building above. I will get a headlamp. Do you think it will be do-able to disconnect the lower shaft from the upper, and just swing the lower shaft around, holding onto the upper shaft with the other hand? Better to just keep it one piece and just shorten it as much as possible?

I really wish there was a volume control on G2, because it will be so annoying with external speaker.

I am going to try to drag Ozzie along and make him share some of the pain.

any ideas or advice?
Re: crawlspace question
December 19, 2015 04:24AM
Ive hunted crawlspaces Rod...

Too bad you dont have a Gold Bug..its easier to remote mount it..

but you'll do fine with the G2 stock ....

at 2 ft your going to be on your belly alot...so be prepared to get real dirty...

wear coveralls..

Get a dust mask too...believe me under a house there's all sort of moldy spores....and youll stir them up quickly .and without good ventilation you will become clogged up so to speak..

Ive done most of my Under house hunting for Bottles but have detected too...Ive found under the front porch is the best spot though...under the house is usually hit and miss for coins and such..

What about this ..

I was lucky enough to hunt a 1840s antebellum home once with a full basement with dirt floor..I could stand up ..9 foot height...it was a hospital site..man the bullets in the basement were unreal Shot bullets HMMM wonder why???....and buttons...it was 1 mile from the battlefield of Kennesaw Mtn..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 19, 2015 01:19PM
Big difference between one foot and two. I work in a lot of crawlspaces shoring up beams and joists, some are nice, some like Keith says, dirt, dust, animal droppings, hanging insulation, pieces of pipe, tools, rocks, coons, snakes, cats....you name it. A dust mask is a must.

It's easier to go under with just a good deep pinpointer like a Whites CRX....not much sinking going on in that dry environment and the low hanging ductwork and pipes can interfere with your detector.. The many repairs over the years the tradesmen leave all the junk down there, it can be a pain to detect.

If it's a belly crawl and fairly flat, you can put a measured length of rolled sheet plastic say 3-4 mill down. Roll it out from the opening to the back...detect back and roll up as you go...or not, depends on the condition of the space. Let me know when you want to do this, I'm game.

Edit; forgot spiders, hundreds of them all sizes... and webs. See a lot of camel crickets too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2015 04:32PM by ozzie.
December 19, 2015 03:57PM
Indeed have buddy with you....be careful as a varmit or bug bite or perhaps a panic attack can not to mention inhaling dust and mold can be dangerous. Good luck and use common sense above all....