Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Targets and freq -Using All Metal

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Targets and freq -Using All Metal
December 27, 2015 06:02AM
Well I see the thread here talking about detectors and what kinds of targets they like best.

So my question is,,this resonance on different targets with the different frequencies transmitted.

Does the same differences when comparing detectors say using discrimination on the different nonferrous items----- Does the difference also hold true for all metal, and does the difference more or less parallel the differences seen with detectors compared using discrimination????

And assume true all metal for your responses please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2015 06:14AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Targets and freq -Using All Metal
December 27, 2015 10:04AM
An interesting question, I had wondered whether DSP-based designs like the Tek T2 did their all-metal in the 'classic' way, or if they did a more advanced method. After all, they have access to both X and R signals, and could apply math to them in a way that would be hard/impossible/expensive to do any traditional way. The fact that T2's only have one all-metal mode, rather than, say, 'classic' & 'enhanced' modes, makes me think they keep things conventional.

And on the subject of 'resonance': Targets do not resonate, there is no 'tuned' element to their behavior. Hence why a machine like the T2 (running at 13KHz) can still detect '1 KHz' targets like silver dollars, and '100KHz' targets like aluminum foil. It's true to say that targets have a behaviour that varies with frequency, and if your detector operated at a frequency that 'suited' the target, it would be easier to distinguish from the ground signal. And if you were wanting to achieve target ID with high resolution, eg. distinguishing 5c nickels from pull-tabs, it would be easier if you had roughly the right machine frequency.
December 27, 2015 07:07PM
I believe your talking about my thread TNSS??

And What Ive seen over the years in all metal mode there is some affinity to target conductance from low to high by Freq in use in all metlal mode...yet its not as Noticeable as in Disc mode...

What I've seen more than anything while in all metal mode is the ability of the machine to adapt to the all metal behavior..

Say a gold machine running 50khz....at that freq in all metal the machine has the ability to have the gain pushed up extremely high..it has the ability to see smaller targets as the freq allows for less erratic behavior that a machine say on 7khz would not allow same gain...

We also are able to use a high freq to have a Hyper S.A.T. mode to retune faster

a fast retune on say 7khz in Hyper S.A.T. is not very conveying especially if you want the gain pushed to see small targets..the noise generated by the unit would be counter productive for small gold..

But you have to remember in Gold fields the dirt is extremely noisy mineral wise..and a slower retune S.A.T.speed will not allow you to overcome the ground mineral variations...

Some gold machine of old were on 6.59 Khz the 4900 is one example...yet the S.A.T. was no hyper but like the 5900 or 6000 models...slower..in decent dirt it would do well even on smaller nuggets but in bad dirt it would struggle ..and a Hyper S.A.T. would not of helped much to see the smaller pieces...

A DEUS will show you how a metal detector behaves on different freq's in prospecting mode...

Put it on 4khz and run the retune up...and test it...it does not like to retune fast...Slow it down and it behaves better..and can still handle the soil slower...

Put it on 18 and run the retune up ..it like that very much ....It likes to retune fast...Slow it down and it its gets wonky acting on the soil..

That's why a DEUS is a great tool to experiment with,,, you can change freq's and see what happens in front of your eyes to target behavior and soil behavior and then how to combat it..see what works and what dosent work..

In all metal most all machines can see ABOUT any target but its how the machines can adjust to behavior in the soil that really makes the freqs work better for certain targets over other..its the adaptability the Freq offers tuning wise in my opinion over the actually affinity of one target to another while in a single channel all metal mode......

It still there but not as noticeable as when the targets are phase shifted for disc purposes..

Troy Galloway Told me once that his 19 Khz X5 lit up the Confederate buttons coat size the best out of all the freq's he was trying to work with on the X5...he took a pile of confederate buttons and as a middle ground on all the buttons he had the 19khz was the best response on those targets in disc mode..

All my take

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 27, 2015 08:29PM
That third bit from the bottom of your post. That what I was looking for

I would have copied for clarity, but this iPad --- I still haven't figured it out all the way lol.