Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

metal detecting Corps of Engineers projects (many recreational lakes)

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
metal detecting Corps of Engineers projects (many recreational lakes)
January 13, 2016 10:39PM
Was conversing with someone in NC who said he lived in Henderson, close to Kerr Lake/John H Kerr Reservoir/Bugg's Island (Lake). I remarked about all the campgrounds, marinas, and boat landings at his disposal and he said the Corps of Engineers said metal detecting is not permitted. Well, this sort of makes me wonder if whoever told him that knew what he was talking about, or just gave the knee-jerk response that so many give.

[www.law.cornell.edu]

specifically 36 CFR 327.14 - Public property, section (d)

It says:
The use of metal detectors is permitted on designated beaches or other previously disturbed areas unless prohibited by the District Commander for reasons of protection of archaeological, historical or paleontological resources. Specific information regarding metal detector policy and designated use areas is available at the Manager's Office. Items found must be handled in accordance with ยงยง 327.15 and 327.16 except for non-identifiable items such as coins of value less than $25.

327.15 defines how abandoned/lost personal property (such as jewelry) is to be disposed of by the project manager.
327.16 says that all lost items (such as jewelry) are to be handed over to a Ranger or the project manager.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
Re: metal detecting Corps of Engineers projects (many recreational lakes)
January 13, 2016 11:54PM
Yep Wayne I'm sure they were just shooting from the hip. Any of the modern and older beaches you can detect on Corp impoundments. Click on this and look from about page 5 through 13 at what I've gotten off the Corp beaches. [s29.photobucket.com] All kinds of fishing and hunting pictures too......
Re: metal detecting Corps of Engineers projects (many recreational lakes)
January 14, 2016 05:48PM
The only issue I have had with CORPs lakes are when the fish are spawning. They have restricted areas to me in the past, however, once the activity was past and the area was opened up to everyone else it was also opened up to me.

I usually just stopped in to let them know I was going to be there and they then told me of any restrictions in place.

HH
Mike