Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

garrett infinium discrmination.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
garrett infinium discrmination.
January 23, 2016 05:39AM
Can someone with experience with the Infinium explain the effectiveness of the discrimination? Does it mute the audio? Does it knock out most or all types of metals? I tried to find a decent source of information on this topic without any luck. I understand the Low/Hi(high conductor or iron) and the Hi/Low(low conductor) tones. Im just wondering if i set the discrimination to remove tabs, will it, remove tabs? I never tried a pulse machine before. I understand that setting the discrimination you lose some depth, but how much? Ty.
Re: garrett infinium discrmination.
January 23, 2016 12:00PM
No it won't. The discrimination is for ground signals. Most all hunting you won't have to use any disc. If your in really bad ground where you are having a bad time ground balancing it you can use the disc to level it out. Don't want to go past 3 or you will start to lose small gold.
January 24, 2016 02:12AM
There's no disc just delay..No matter what Garrett calls it..

A pulltab delay/disc would really kill the depth ..

if you were just coin shooting with the Infinium a better bet would be to dig the low/high hits and ignore the high/low hits.. this will keep the depth up and also it givesa good smooth low/high hit on copper pennys and up...

Zinc pennys will get warbley and anything below that will be the high/low tone..pulltabs and foils and alot of iron and nickles and indians and flying eagles gold coins butons tons of stuff will be down there but will be reported..

the tone flips around the Zinc penny.

But if you turn delay up to kill the response of a Pulltab the depth would really suffer...

theres no disc it just works off decay rates of target's..

The delay is usually 10 micro seconds minimum and maybe up to 25 or more maximum..

The delay is just that.. it delays the pulse firing of the unit..so say theres a piece of foil that signaled at 10...turn it to 15 and it will maybe not be there in the audio report..the machine threshold wont null it just stays smooth as if it saw nothing..because well it becomes blind to it..

it waited long enough in the firing sequence that the decay rate of the foil had discharged its self before it sampled for an energized target..

a silver quarter when energized up will hold the charge longer as its more conductive and round and so say the 15 setting would still let the quarter be able to reprot as it would still hold some energy..

but also weird shapes and sizes and such can hold charge longer than the foil even though it may be less conductive to a VLF..

nails and weird iron and such can stay energized a longer time than a 15 setting..

large iron can read as a silver coin small iron can too..

balled foil can read different than a flat piece..etc etc..

So the best thing in my opinion in the world of ground balancing P.I.'s is the ability of the tone change from ground balance..At least you can Sort of be selective..and tune your ear and some trash will be unsmooth in reporting..and good metal will be round sounding..but not fool proof still.

You will notice where the tone flops from low/high to high/low is the weakest depth also on the infinium..and that's right at zinc.. but three ringers are close there too and they can be weak on the infinium if your relic hunting..

the infinium is a button killer and nickle killer by the way..

it will flat out dig some deep buttons in bad soil...

it will dig an eagle coat button deeper than it will a silver dime..

if your soil is bad enough then a PULSE is a God send.. if its not bad enough it can be slow go...

still be deep in good soil but the beauty of the pulse units is the bad dirt punch..The type dirt that shuts a VLF down ...or causes the vlfs to run erratic and noisy..

they great thing about a P.I. that ground balances and has tones and delays and manual ground balance on some units is that you can set them up a million ways and you may find a Niche setting that makes a site productive ..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2016 02:30AM by Keith Southern.
January 24, 2016 02:27AM
I haven't run a infinium, but do run a Garrett ATX.
The disc-- what is it good for.
In old sites IMO it has no purpose.

But in modern sites say looking for jewelry say at a beach or something-- maybe

Using a little discrimination--- some of the smallest metal particles can be knocked out yet tone is provided on bigger pieces-- and yes you start limiting depth, but this is employing what we call a trade off.

This ATX with no disc employed is very sensitive to very small low conductor particles even with the stock coil.

So with a little disc or as Keith says delay change--- ear ring studs may be passed up, yet rings can/ could be heard.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2016 03:06AM by tnsharpshooter.
January 24, 2016 03:36PM
Thank you guys for the information. My soil is very good and most of the sites are picked cleaned of conductive targets. I was going to get the infinium to help get a little deeper.
January 24, 2016 06:59PM
Excellent review Keith----and thanks for explaining that pulse delay Ain't discrimination.