Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My 2016 AKA Berkut 5

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My 2016 AKA Berkut 5
January 21, 2016 05:29PM
AKA BERKUT 5 (Golden Eagle)

This is the latest Berkut with 5.17 software version for 2016 sporting the English faceplate.
Just had to customize it to suite my tastes.

Replaced the 3 pc. s-handle with a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV 2 pc. Added a BH tall man's lower rod trimmed down and a Minelab locking collar.

Overall this mode feels comfy and lightweight and I like it.

Then added a under the arm cuff remote headphone jack.

By the way, the 5.17 version Berkut has some really nice enhancements and menu options not found on the older model I had. Plus the Hodograph
seems to work much better. With the 6" and 6x10 14khz search coils I chose, works out as a really nice detector for myself. I love the way the entire audio range can be customized.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: My 2016 AKA Berkut 5
January 21, 2016 10:11PM
Looks like a great setup Sven! Come on warmer weather!...Lol!
January 22, 2016 08:26AM
Hey Sven, nice machine.

What is the main difference between the Berkut and the Signum and Sorrex?
Is the machine more advantageous with the sounds or ?
How does depth compare to the other machines?

I heard it is really a different machine.

Best,
Albert
January 22, 2016 11:47AM
what % would you give the hodograph for accuracy in tandem with the sounds ??
as with foil and hammered silver ??
tops and pulls ??
beer cans ??

i need an AKA next prolly an intronic if reviews are good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 11:49AM by diggers.
January 22, 2016 03:36PM
Looks good Sven,

Extremely nice setup, well balanced. For a moment there, the smaller coil looked like one of your pi coils.

You're like me, I would have gone with the 6" and 6x10 14khz coils too, nice choice.

WTG!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 03:40PM by Old California.
January 22, 2016 03:57PM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Sven, nice machine.
>
> What is the main difference between the Berkut and
> the Signum and Sorrex?
> Is the machine more advantageous with the sounds
> or ?
> How does depth compare to the other machines?
>
> I heard it is really a different machine.
>
> Best,
> Albert

The latest version Berkut has performance closer to the Sorex and noticed some of the menu adjustments include a few that the Sorex has.
Sorex is is the most user friendly and easiest to learn, Signum is the deepest and needs more precise adjustments.
The Berkut is not as fast in recovery in trash as the Sorex. But has a much more extensive audio adjustment menu system.
That's why I chose the Berkut, it fits my hunting style and I can set it to my liking for hunting jewelry.
I love the tones, makes it enjoyable to use. I hate Omega tones.
Depth comparable to a Minelab E-trac, some claim better.
Takes awhile to learn these machines, the Berkut more as parameter changes are done in sub menus, where some of those adjustments
are done with the keypads on the faceplate. You have to wrap your head around some adjustments working in reverse than what you are used to
and terminology used for some of the settings.

The Hodograph works, learn using tones first, then add the number ID, then look at the Hodo for added info. I can set the Hodo to hold a target on the screen for a longer period of time.
Good if you have multiple target hits, can give you a chance to compare multiple Hodo images of whats below. Nail, coin, pulltab. Can I see the coin amongst them? Haven't used this feature yet.

Some others have questions, really all the answers you want can be found at the links on my website [www.treasurelinx.com]
and the new AKA forum has all the answers to the Sorex and Signum. Right now I am just trying to become a pro with the Berkut. I planned on taking
Scott Hugheys translation of the Berkut manual a bit further, there are adjustments and controls that need to be explained better that can confuse.

AKA's are just another machine, different and work. Like all machines, may or may not work for you. Work for me.

Works for me
January 23, 2016 06:24PM
Thanks Sven. I just listened to the sounds here at this video I found - [www.youtube.com]
I wonder, are the sounds actually a bit more different than on the Signum. ( I have only used that one and not the Sorex.)
What have you noticed?

I loved the E-Trac sounds but the Signum was also pleasing in Polyphonic but over reacted to iron imo, so I generally ran in ST mode I think it is called.
If they could somehow give a 2D view, like the FBS machines, that would take the cake. But guys here said might be patent issues. (Bangs head.)

Enjoy your machine,
Albert
January 23, 2016 11:04PM
Hi,
From the videos I have (Sig, Sorex) watched, don't see anyone using more than 2 tones, maybe 3?
I have not used a Sorex or Sig yet.
In the Sorex manual I don't see wide option of audio parameters.
The Berkut to me goes way beyond what they can do in the audio dept. I usually hunt with zero threshold volume so target audio is nice and clean sounding.
The audio customization is my main draw to the Berkut, if you want a Minelab flute, you can get close.

They say the Sorex and Sig are better for trashy iron sites and they are most widely used. They say the Berkut is better for not so trashy iron sites, more open sites.
I use the Berkut mostly in modern sites with modern trash that have a fair amount of modern trash all over hunting for coins and jewelry. The Berkut worked excellent for me. Better than the Fisher
ID, F5, Coinstrike. Better than the Tek Delta, Omega. Better than the Gold Bug Pro, better than the Exterra. I love the audio. With the 6" and 6x10" 14khz coils, it goes plenty deep for parks, picnic grounds and school yards.
Right now I don't need to venture into buying a Sorex or Sig. I have to master the Berkut to its full potential. Too bad I can't get out to hunt for another couple months, frozen cold up here in the Great White North.

I tried copying and pasting the audio section menus and parameters in my post but, every time I post it errors and will not post. Apparently the forum doesn't like the terminology....
So if you download the Berkut manual off my website and go to the audio menu section, you'll be able to see what the Berkut has up its sleeve.
This link will automatically load the manual in your browser [www.treasurelinx.com]

Works for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 11:08PM by Sven1.
January 24, 2016 02:16AM
Good clean Mod Sven!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
January 24, 2016 04:56AM
AKA really puts alot of options into their machines. Also a huge selection of coil sizes and frequencies are available. And the Berkut is priced reasonable.
January 27, 2016 02:56PM
whats the arrival date of the intronic ???any testers on the go?
January 29, 2016 01:47AM
ziggyjinx had an awesome youtube video of Air tests using a couple US coins(dime and quarter)as well as Euro denominations. I couldn't hardly believe the distances from the coil. It also is my understanding the Berkut is very deep in soil as well. Gary's detecting site confirms this. I also found it interesting in the manual download the ability to adjust audio volume for VDI groups, unless I misread that? If true can the Berkut adjust audio for individual VDI values? Very interesting detector. I am intrigued.smiling smiley

Two questions:
1)cost/where to buy?
2)European service only I presume?

ps Your mod's are very well executed and your workmanship is top-notch!.
I also noticed a detector rod similar to XP Deus on the Mars coil website. Wonder how that would look?
January 29, 2016 01:17PM
Contact info on my website as well as other info regarding sales, forum. US owners of an AKA are growing with some well known people.
Service is only in Russia or Bulgaria.

You can change many audio parameters of VDI sectors and or frequency response of the audio per sector. A sector contains 10 VDI numbers.
Mike Hillis just bought a Berkut, he felt the Berkut has the potential to be a good jewelry machine. One reason I originally bought Scott Hugheys, now the latest version.
I like the 14khz coils, going to get a 20khz and see how it works. With Mike onboard it will be interesting this year.
There's a number of handle conversions being sold on the aftermarket for various detector brands, most are adaptable. Whatever suits your fancy.
The Germans have made numerous custom handle set-ups and they look sharp. Has me thinking about another project.

By the way Ziggy's Berkut air test was performed at max settings, I can duplicate them. But, Ziggy did say, those settings are "probably not hunt-able in real conditions".
You may get away with some of those settings in non-mineralized soils or areas with low mineralization and no trash. Air tests are just air tests, they do make for a good show
to wow people..............what a detector does in the ground is what counts.

Just be aware if any Berkut owner needs to learn how to use the 5 basic parameters first and how they interact with each other and get some hunting time in the 4 factory pre-set modes.
You can't just dive into all the sub menus and change this and that, you'll mess yourself up fast. Good thing for there's is a factory reset to revert back to factory defaults. If you willing to take the time
to invest in learning the Berkut, its a very nice detector. For the first time AKA owner, everyone suggests getting the Sorex first, faster learning curve and from what I gather easier to use.
The Berkut has tricks the Sorex doesn't. In a sense the Berkut is an instrument that can be fine tuned to an application. It may not be as fast as the high RPM Racer but, the Berkut has the torque to get you up the mountain
without having to resort dropping down in gears....................with plenty of power to spare.

Works for me
January 29, 2016 10:54PM
Thanks again for all that info Sven. The Berkut seems like a really nice machine. I wonder if the Intronik or Signum will be upgraded to have more tones. Give the Flag Ship detector those options! smoking smiley I am one of those that likes the Minelab flutey sound and as I mentioned elsewhere, the Signum's polyphonic mode resembles the E-Tracs sounds some. I enjoyed the Berkut 5's sounds in video (more). I never really even hunted with the Signum using it's RT side, a bit maybe to check targets. I just liked the more quiet hunts, depth and separation I was getting.
February 01, 2016 09:26PM
Sven,
I haven't bought one yet. Going to but we are still working through the process.

I won't bore you with the details, other than to say Igor may be tired of seeing my emails. HA!

HH
Mike
February 01, 2016 10:09PM
We are stuck learning the Berkut, the Russian experts do not speak English.
Thank goodness for Scott Hughey's translation of the Russian Berkut manual.
Thank goodness Scott had a AKA Kondor for many years which morphed into the Berkut.

Works for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 12:31AM by Sven1.
February 12, 2016 04:09PM
Hi Mike,
that couldn't be so and never I am tired of any e-mails if they concern me or things arround me.
Probably you or me have missed the last ones with some details if you mean making an order,then sorry for that.
Thanks.
Igor.

Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sven,
> I haven't bought one yet. Going to but we are
> still working through the process.
>
> I won't bore you with the details, other than to
> say Igor may be tired of seeing my emails. HA!
>
> HH
> Mike
February 12, 2016 05:48PM
I did let Mike know and any others that ask, that when they contact Igor to be aware about Russian to English translations etc.
Type in plain English, no slang, sometimes you ask a question you may get a different type of answer than you wanted or you may find some words
are used improperly.....if something isn't clear, ask again. Igor is more than happy to answer all emails, even if you think you sent too many.

I have corresponded, interacted with people from all over the world. Sometimes easy, sometimes difficult.
It's satisfying when you can get a point across to some one who speaks another language that you can't, that also can't speak English very well.

I think Mike has his eyes on another machine................

Just purchased a 6x10 20khz coil for my Berkut from Igor. Arrived pretty fast from Russia.....Too bad we just got buried in snow, cold artic blast and more snow to arrive tonight.

Works for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2016 03:27AM by Sven1.
February 12, 2016 11:32PM
I have dealt with Igor also. Yes, use sentences with very plain words, works the best. Shipping is fast.