Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Calibrating / Tuning a DetectorPro smiling bouncing smiley .......... it worked!

Posted by DnD 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DnD
Calibrating / Tuning a DetectorPro smiling bouncing smiley .......... it worked!
February 16, 2016 02:09PM
The DIY Calibrating guide worked!!!!

I recently picked up a used DetectorPro Diver that was in good condition but air tests (on a dime) were 5-6" at best. I figured it was worth a shot to try and tune this myself before I sent it in so I followed the instructions shown in my previous post [www.dankowskidetectors.com] about tuning/calibrating a DetectorPro and some older Fisher machines. The result was achieving a repeatable 8" and intermittent 9.5" depth with the same dime.

When this detector was new, many claim it would airtest a dime at 9". So I still wonder two things...
- Can vibrations and use of a detector, over time, change the factory settings?
- Can age or wear and tear make the coil/coil wire lose depth over time? If so, I wonder if a new coil, along with the new tune, would push the air test beyond the 9.5" mark?

-David
Re: Calibrating / Tuning a DetectorPro smiling bouncing smiley .......... it worked!
February 16, 2016 03:15PM
First one assumes detector are factory calibrated as advertised.... fact is many arent. Im not sure we have quite the problem as we used to with coil getting out of calibration. So many mix and match components now day and any one of them can throw it of. Just curious what affect your adjustment will make in the water. If it affected the salt setting on n any way. Congrats on the learned process.
Re: Calibrating / Tuning a DetectorPro smiling bouncing smiley .......... it worked!
February 16, 2016 04:36PM
Detectors get dropped and put in the back of a truck just like anything you do that so many times and anything can go out of whack. Coils can go bad also over time a lot can happen

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
DnD
February 16, 2016 05:29PM
I marked each of the pots before I made any changes. So, in theory, I should be able to go back to the original settings should an issue arise with the salt water. By this weekend I should be able to run out and test it in the water to verify.

I wonder if I could use a 10" Fisher coil with this setup, and would it matter if it was a CZ, 1280x, or other model?

dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First one assumes detector are factory calibrated
> as advertised.... fact is many arent. Im not
> sure we have quite the problem as we used to with
> coil getting out of calibration. So many mix and
> match components now day and any one of them can
> throw it of. Just curious what affect your
> adjustment will make in the water. If it affected
> the salt setting on n any way. Congrats on the
> learned process.
February 16, 2016 07:18PM
I can't see a CZ coil working, but the single-freq coils are quite likely compatible.
February 16, 2016 10:34PM
DnD Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if I could use a 10" Fisher coil with
> this setup, and would it matter if it was a CZ,
> 1280x, or other model?

It would matter.
The 1280x runs at 2.4kHz.
The DetectorPro also runs at 2.4kHz...like the 1280x it was 'inspired' by.
Fisher 1280x coil would probably work.

The CZs run at 5/15kHz.
Would not likely work well.

Note that finding a 1280x coil might be problematic as they are 'hard-wired' into the detector. (As are the headphones.)

(Glad you got yours tuned up.)
smiling smiley
mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 10:35PM by Mike in CO.
February 17, 2016 12:34AM
You can easily tell if your Wader was opened up and tinkered with.
There would have been a small white putty like seal on each of the earcups.
If they were not there when you bought the detector. Some one was inside and messed it up.

1280 coils will work, so will the Kellyco Cobra coil.
With the Fisher coils, you need to be careful, many of the coil cables have deteriorated and split, similar to the other Fisher models.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me