Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

GPX hunt, gold & silver...

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
GPX hunt, gold & silver...
February 29, 2016 09:02PM
Got out this weekend for several hours, strictly Pi hunting and going after coins. An old park area dating back a ways, still used today but closed until spring.

Detected the outer area with a friend, day turned out well with a few silvers, vintage silver ring, silver metal, 1900 v-nickel, several wheat pennies, one 14k white gold man's band at 5.4 grams.

Soil is mineralized, tough with VLF so we choose to use Pi's. Dug about 90-100 coins, mostly deep clad but luckily a few goodies surfaced. The half was extremely deep, way pass my Garrett pinpointers lenght maybe 13"-14" inches down. Was in a sandly area, almost give up.

Tried three different DD coils, the smaller 10" x 5" DD Commander was the best coil for these conditions. Small coil yet deep, more control much easier to understand the signals under these conditions.

Right area, right time with right machine. My buddy did well too, he was using the ATX.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

Re: GPX hunt, gold & silver...
February 29, 2016 09:30PM
Heck of a days hunt! My favorite coin right there... strolling Miss Liberty.
February 29, 2016 09:44PM
Nice digs Paul - looks like a fun time for sure thumbs down
February 29, 2016 11:16PM
Very well done Paul! Still to far down the learning curve to jump into something like that yet lol. Great day ya had!

HH
February 29, 2016 11:51PM
Thanks Ozzie, Wayne and Tom,

Ozzie, yes one of my favorites too, was the 1937 and auctally believe my latest year for a Liberty half.

Wayne, was a fun hunt but the first hour pretty much was wasted trying to use the 15" DD Sprial and 11" DD, couldn't run with Relic/Coin mode due to mineralization but with the smaller 10" xx 5" DD Commander coil could operate with Relic/Coin mode. This mode is hotter but only if ground allows, the smaller DD sure helps with stability.

Tom, auctally perfer the ATX for inland park hunting but my good friend used the ATX, his first time using a powerful pi. So I was stuck with the GPX, don't get me wrong the GPX is deeper with high conductive over the ATX, low conductive they fare about the same on nickel size targets with an edge going to the GPX.

Have yet to get comfortable with the GPX on park hunting, as I am with the ATX. It'll come, slowly but surely it'll come one of these days it'll all fall in place for deep turf hunting.

Thanks again everyone!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 11:52PM by Old California.
February 29, 2016 11:51PM
We never to got to go on the hunt you were going to take me onconfused smiley

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 29, 2016 11:56PM
Hello low boy,

Yes and I feel bad we've missed out on opportunities, one of these days it'll happen.
Currently, a family emergency arrose recently which keeps me near home, hopefully soon can venture out near your area up in gold country. I've always wanted to be one of your detecting buddies, we have allot in common.

One of these days Lawrenzo winking smiley

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2016 11:58PM by Old California.
March 01, 2016 01:01AM
Fabulous finds Paul. No telling how many detector coils have been right over the top of many of your finds.

Congrats
March 01, 2016 01:18AM
Thanks David,

What's neat is silver coins are coming out super clean, but all wheat pennies and especially deep nickels are in poor condition hardly recognizable.

Still, fun to pull out a coin masked by mineralization.

Thanks again,
Paul
March 01, 2016 01:25AM
Paul,
By chance did your bud using his ATX get a chance to sweep the deep half???
March 01, 2016 02:56AM
Hello David,

No, we didn't get a chance to compare only until the end did I bury a nickel at 12" inches, both GPX and ATX easily detected the 12" buried nickel.

My buddy was very impressed with the ATX, He was surprised with both depth and sensitivity with smaller targets. Coming off the HH Pi, The ATX was his first powerful pi to use.

From my own testing in the past, hands down the GPX is deeper with both low and high conductive targets. However, the ATX with low conductive are extremely close with the GPX both depth and sensitivity with an edge going to the GPX. With high conductive, ATX needs the larger stock coil for depth on high conductive. The 8" mono coil won't cut it with high conductive, for some reason the ATX with 8" coil doesn't fare well with high conductive. But, low conductive the 8" coil is deep.

The ATX is pretty much a turn on and go pi for those with allot of pi experience, so my buddy caught on quickly.

HH, Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 02:57AM by Old California.
March 01, 2016 04:58AM
very nice "glinty" finds, there, Paul.
Congrats!

I am enjoying my GPX 4800 in the fields. Amazing, the number of non-ferrous targets I dig compared to the rusty iron.
It's coming...the more I use the 4800, the better I get with understanding what it's telling me...but it takes a while.

How long have you been GPXing?

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
March 01, 2016 05:57AM
Now that looks like a fun hunt, congrats on the pile of keepers thumbs down

HH,
Brian
March 01, 2016 04:38PM
Nice job Old California! Are these parks fairly quite with shallow targets or is there still some surface targets that you are just ignoring?

Thanks
Tommy

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
March 01, 2016 06:50PM
Thanks Paul....
March 02, 2016 07:16PM
Thanks Wayne, Brian, Tommy and David,

Wayne, been using the GPX for a year, but owned many other Pi's going over 20 years with a pi. Takes a while to understand settings, ground conditions, and such, hang in there it'll come.

Brian, yeah a fun hunt for sure, Denny is getting the ATX bug now he's wanting one after seeing the depth he was getting with the ATX. Loaned him my ATX that day, he did pretty good with it.

Tommy, the targets are from a sandly area, outer rim of park. Yes indeed allot of shallow signals, but dug them anyways because some old coins are near the surface.

David, my pleasure smiling smiley. Also, caved and ordered the MX Sport yesterday, hope I didn't make a mistake. I'm needing the prospecting mode for my type of mineralization, hopefully Relic mode is good too.

Thanks again everyone!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 07:17PM by Old California.
March 02, 2016 08:10PM
I wish my hunts were fun I have to dig like a miner to find relics and dig tons of square nails, rusted sheet metal, dig out shale rock. If I don't take a hot bubble bath after my hunts my body feels like it got hit with a bat...As you can see from my videos I don't get excited too much till I get home and it sinks in what I found. Also to get permission to hunt in the Gold Country takes a lot of my time. And if I had a quad I could hit lots of land. So walking and digging is what we do to find what we find. For me the fun is before the hunt and after the hunt when I see my finds in a small pile ready to be cleaned.

Even if I find one cool relic on a full day hunt I'm feeling good. I rarely get skunked but when I do it humbles me. Can't wait to see what the Deus update will do and the impact will bring to the table. I love the racer and I dig 8 inches or more on some hits. In my dirt all coils are deep the 5 inch is crazy deep and I only use two tone and an audio tone of 5 same with the deus. I just want to get a tone even mixed with iron and for the most part I'll dig it. Would rather hunt a half day and dig almost all tones then start to leave a tone because I'm getting tired...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 07, 2016 11:31PM
Thanks for the post on PI's in the parks.

I've been thinking of trying this for a while and have a GP 3000 that would like to find some deep silver. I have the stock DD 11" round and a NF 12" elliptical. I'm guessing the 11"DD would be best and probably better if it were in an elliptical configuration. Maybe that is what I need next for the 3000 a smaller DD elliptical.

Like your area my local area is high in ground mineralization and my CTX gives suggested sensitivity levels in the single digit range. hard to run that machine over 15 sens. in my bad ground. Even with the CTX coins in the 6-7" range are on the max end so a deep seeking pulse may just be the ticket. Lots of our parks and house lots are sodded with 4-5" of younger sod sitting over the older layers so it gets hard to find older coins especially with highly mineralized ground.

Do you also run the Blisstool? seems like I saw that on this forum a while back. If so how does the Bliss compare to the GPX or ATX for deep coin hunting in your parks?
March 07, 2016 11:44PM
Great digs Paul!!

NiceWalker!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 08, 2016 04:59PM
Hello Atlas,

The blisstool does well for parks, providing it's an old park with deep coins. Both the v5 and v6 have higher discrimination, a skilled blisstool user can use these to an advantage going after deeper coins yet pass up surface targets. Advancing discrimination can create blanketing so coins down a certain depth are eliminated yet deeper coins will be detectable. But, have to be in an area known to have given up old coins in the past.

Your stock 11DD pi coil should be well with your 3000, you don't need allot of gain, I suggest you bury coins at different depths and experiment with gain untill you hear faint signals, then dig only these signals and eventually a deep old coin will surface.

Practice and determination will eventually get you dialed in and get you the goods.

Good luck!
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 05:05PM by Old California.
March 08, 2016 05:02PM
Thanks Steve,

Going out there again this weekend, taking the MX Sport.... GPX too smiling smiley

Still allot if targets out there, hopefully snag few more.

Thanks again,
Paul