Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

dedicated relic detectors

Posted by bespride 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
dedicated relic detectors
November 07, 2015 05:42PM
Hi folks,
I'd like to start out with a thanks for all the unbiased reviews I read on this forum. I'm using a Racer for some old homestead sites and still learning it more as I go but I really like it and it's a big bump up from my F2 hah.
From doing research I've located some spots that have been fordings and encampments in mostly fielded areas, some plowed some not.
I'm a newb to relic hunting but I finally tracked down this virgin site I've been looking for a long time and I'm compelled to pound it.
I would like some opinions from relic hunters on what used detectors(old technology or new) I should keep an eye out for that would do good in NC soils.
Thanks a bunch,
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2015 05:52PM by bespride.
Re: dedicated relic detectors
November 07, 2015 06:27PM
You come to the right place to ask.

There are guys on here that walk the talk.
November 07, 2015 06:47PM
I forgot to add something to compliment the racer. Maybe a PI machine like a TDI? What should I look for that would be best bang for the buck nowadays.
November 07, 2015 09:50PM
Remember, Depth is not an issue when relic hunting, Iron masking will reduce depth so refrain yourself with running too high sensitivity. Only use enough sens for good stability. Too high sens increases iron masking, This applies for ( Any Detector ). A VLF detector, 4 to 6 kHz with a tight ground balance, quick response, do not rely on a meter and you are set to go...Relic hunting to me, digging all targets where the dis setting is set to knock out iron nails...Relic hunting , you want everything in the ground.....If a person wants to be selective, its not relic hunting, it is called cherry picking...
November 07, 2015 10:01PM
I personally for the $$$ assuming you have to give at least $600 for a good used machine i.e TDI Pro, Fisher F75 etc.

I would go new with a Blisstool V5 or V6---NOT V1 thru V4!!!!!
Really not that much more.
Has a 3 year warranty. Deeeeep Seems to punch mineral.
Has its own battery---so you won't be buying any batteries for a while

I haven't had mine long, but so far I really like it.
Can be a coin hunter of sorts too----once you learn a few things about it.

A real clean up machine for relics; especially in hot ground where many other detectors in disc mode call things like bullets iron at depths as shallow as 6" at times....

Just depends on how much $$$ you are willing to spend. Personally I not a TDI Pro fan----don't like the power supply-inadequate and not modern. Is a unique bugger though because you can play with GB and actually hunt coins--depth does get restricted though, but still respectful.

Put the stock coil 7x11" on your Racer. go to your sites and check some other areas as well. Bob you coil over clean ground. How much of the mineralization pie gets shaded??? If it's half or less that's not too bad a soil. You see the pie shaded to 9 oclock or further around---hot stuff--see 5 bar comments below. If the pie gets shaded more than half but not to the 9 oclock position see 4 bar comments below.

You can also use a Fisher F70 or F75. You could use these to check your soil mineral levels. I haven't used F70, but have used F75. If you pump the f75 with stock coil in your sites and you see 5 bars----IMO you definitely need blisstool or pulse machine. You see 4 bars there are some good vlf that will work--will be depth limited to degree; especially using disc. You see 3 or less bars there are many out there that will hunt and get respectable depths.

But maybe someday you will want to go to one of the DIV hunts in Virginia. If so read what I posted above as far as seeing the 5 bars in the F75's window recommendation.

A person in the long run (in the detecting world) can save money in the long run if they will (overbuy) so to speak. I've seen countless folks who are trying to save a few bucks or are on a limited budget purchase a machine----only to later find out it don't do what they wanted or as good as they wanted----hence they are out buying another, and sometimes trying to sell the original -probably at a loss to fund probably what they should have bought in the first place.

I wish you luck in your decision, Relic hunting is very fun. Has more of the what is it when being dug---coin hunting for me can be boring at times; especially when using a detector like a Minelaab CTX or Etrac.

BTW Racer with small coil rocks, I like mine

Cheers

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2015 10:48PM by tnsharpshooter.
November 08, 2015 12:52AM
tnsharpshooter
Put the stock coil 7x11" on your Racer. go to your sites and check some other areas as well. Bob you coil over clean ground. How much of the mineralization pie gets shaded??? If it's half or less that's not too bad a soil. You see the pie shaded to 9 oclock or further around---hot stuff--see 5 bar comments below. If the pie gets shaded more than half but not to the 9 oclock position see 4 bar comments below.

You can also use a Fisher F70 or F75. You could use these to check your soil mineral levels. I haven't used F70, but have used F75. If you pump the f75 with stock coil in your sites and you see 5 bars----IMO you definitely need blisstool or pulse machine. You see 4 bars there are some good vlf that will work--will be depth limited to degree; especially using disc. You see 3 or less bars there are many out there that will hunt and get respectable depths.

But maybe someday you will want to go to one of the DIV hunts in Virginia. If so read what I posted above as far as seeing the 5 bars in the F75's window recommendation.
I thought it was a pretty vague question and wasn't sure what info I was looking for but you gave me what I was more or less looking for above hah. Thanks.
This site is in the river flood plain next to the river so I can imagine over 200 years of sediment things will be deep, scattered at every depth or gone..
November 08, 2015 12:59AM
You are welcome Chris.

If I lived closer to you, I'd visit and let you run any of my detectors and/or give some demonstrations.

Racer is very good machine for the $$$. You need to be careful though or you may wind up with a detector that doesn't really add anything to your detecting capabilities or needs.
Just mostly more of what you already have....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 05:19AM by tnsharpshooter.
November 08, 2015 03:07AM
For old sites the racer and its available coils are effectively all you need. That looser river bottom soil is where I get the best depth with it. Go hunt and dig some relics! Im an hour and some change north from the state line on 85/95. Ive spent a ton of time with the racer and your welcome hunt some time.
November 08, 2015 05:14AM
Tek T2 thenTejon & f19?
Really bad dirt a fisher cz-5,6a,3d.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 12:52AM by supertraq.
November 08, 2015 12:35PM
If you found a virgin CW site you need to jump on it now with anything you have. Get what you can now while figuring out exactly what you need to clean it up. The reason I say this is I've researched 2 places too long only to find that others had done the same thing and beat me by just weeks. So you need to be on that site asap. Your not the only one researching sites to pound.........

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
November 08, 2015 01:28PM
Thanks for all the helpful replies.
You're right I'm going to use what I have now and see what I pull out. I'm kinda putting the carriage ahead of the horse. But useful info none the less for what to look for in a next purchase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 01:29PM by bespride.
November 08, 2015 04:47PM
Your racer is and will be a great machine for most hunting but in iron and for relic hunting it's a killer machine. Turn down your power to about 50 and use the 5" coil till you see how bad the dirt is. I use two tone and turn my audio tone up to 5. Do a real good ground bal and repeat it a few time during the hunt. Don't swing too fast and wait till you hear anything other than a iron grunt. When you do get a tone that pops through iron take your time slow down and see if you can get that tone to come through. Sometimes you get a mixed tone but with more iron that could be a lock or key or gun part that has a lot of iron mixed in with the metal. Dig those and come back and try again. Don't let the ground get so wet from the winter that the iron starts to flake and spread that will really make it hard and cause even more masking.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 08, 2015 08:38PM
Im testing the Detech Relic Striker......

Other videos I've seen shows some promising results... 4.8 kHz and attached to the 18x15 relic SEF coil.

My intro video here to it...... [youtu.be]

Out in the field in the next few days with it for the live hunt so will report my findings.
November 08, 2015 11:21PM
Well theres Relic Hunters and theres people who Hunt for relics...

I started out HUNTING FOR RELICS 4 decades ago now Im a RELIC HUNTER ...

Yes a RELIC HUNTER is a different Breed LOL!!!

Now a guy whos hunts for relics usually hasnt been consumed by Relic thoughts day and night...And has yet to forgo Christmas or Thanksgiving Dinner to go swinging in cold wet soil in the middle of nowhere by yourself in briar thicket hoping to find piece of camp lead...

I do all these things and more Im not proud to say..Yes Im a RELIC HUNTER I have a problem..

So which will it be////HMMMMMM????Virgin spots could be dangerous to your long term outlook in terms of social aspects with family and friends..

So what gear will you need??

If its a virgin site anything is going to get the goodies if the soil is not extrmely hot... especially a modern unit..your F2 will last awhile in there..

N.C. soil is it the mounitan's or the coast..?? hopefull its decent dirt maybe tobaccoo fields...

The main thing to remember is Relic come in all shapes forms and metal composition...so while at first your probably goign to want to get the higher conductors you dont want to overlook the iron implements ...

And this seems to be the problems I see with 21st centry relic hunting... people are not diggin the iron...yet the iron is the most used metal in Military applications...

Plus removong iron form a promising site also helps in unmasking..

If its a virgin Site though Iorn will be the last thing on your mind...

It will help to read a site also..to see if its even the right period ..hate to spend hours on in on a spot that was a plowed in farm dump from 1940..

Most of the camps around here are beat to death but still hold stuff but the thing in a hard hunted camp that you just walk up on is the ability to Read the iron out of the site Audibly.....after many many years I have learned what a Civil War camp sounds like Vs 20th century logging camp or barn sites....

Civil War camps that are heavily hunted will have a Unique sound in all metal in the way the iron is scattered and the sizes of it plus the modulation of the depth of the nails...

As Im walking through the woods I like to hear those faint quick wobbly nails in all metal...

You will need a machine thats powerful in all metal mode...then learn the traits of nails in all metal Vs Round sounds in all metal ..If you can indentify a OLD site and slow down in it you will be rewarded on hunted hard sites with a POWERFULLY DEEP UNIT...But it will take a all metla mode in alot of these sites...

Nautilus...5900...XLT...Xterra 705..MXT...etc..F75...T2 machines with smooth all metal mode's will be your friend in camp sites with scattered iron thats been hunted hard...your trying to get the deeper targets the older hunters left...

And dont overlook the larger than nail iron..they can be lock plates....gun hammers...bayonets...ETC..

Now if your after relics in a more dense iron trash area like a House site from 1850.. then depth is out the door and you will need separation and exact disc circuits to work on previoulsy hunted hard sites...Again read the site.. if its worth the NEXT STEP then apend the time on the site.. reading a site will be by whats surfacing onthe site...THICK Toe taps,,,CERTAIN suspender clip design's,,, ALL flatbuttons,,these ar common house site items.. Flat Buttons and its ON...the other things will be there I listed but they need to be more carefully inspected as they lasted into the late 1800s even eary 1900's..but theres tell tale designs of toe taps and suspender clips to let you kow your on the right spot...Dont gauge a site off a few finds get a good read on the site and if the site is of the right age and in the right area it can be seriously dug.. I mean dug and dug and dug..Down this way I know the sites that will reveal confederaet buttons and when I locate them I stay on the site till the cows come home..And If I located the reb buttons then I will hunt it lifelong..

But if your after relics dont waste your time on a spot that's not certain to give up relics.. Rev war Or Civil War or whatever your after..

The Best for working through iron dissecting target's is G2/Gold bug ...DTVG...Tejon...DEUS...Racer/CoRe with OOR5...GMP...AT-PRO...MXT...705 HF coil's...Any of those will get you finds in iron thast hunted already..

So two areas to consider...Sparse site relic huting will require depth to get more..Contaminated site relic hunting will require speed and separation to get more...

Intelligent audio is a must for me.. and also rejected target alert tone wise is a must for me ....I like to know what's there even if im not going to dig it...

a Pulse Unit has it's place in a arsenal but you need to know your ready for it....and need an understanding of where to really use it to be effective and have it as an advantage not a hinderance.. Because a Good DEEP all metal mode will do as much as a pulse unit in alot of scenario's...Pulses are Very specialized and will open your eyes if the sites allow...But at the same time you need to KNOW you NEED one before you get one ....

Now I've written this to tell you all the reading in the world and studying methods of approach etc will not replace real world hunt's...

Ive hunted my whole life and Im the first to admit I learn more every year...Ill tell you this though...and I believe it holds true after all my years ...EDUCATION of HOW TO HUNT A SITE is paramount.... if you have the KNOW HOW to have an analytical approach to sites you face you will succeed....The gear to use will only be of use to you when you Know YOU NEED that gear...Buying this and that will not do much till you understand why it is you HAVE to HAVE that gear..

I would rather have say for instance your F2 and know how to use it and Know its limitations and how to combat those limitations than to have a top end P.I. and every New VLF unit under the sun but really not Know what I need the units for ...

So what im really trying to say to you is spend time in the field with a GOOD unit on this Virgin spot and you will be rewarded..Study What YOUR seeing ...build an understanding of why things happen .. figure out how to get MORE out of a site as it depleates. then the Gear you require will be the tool to open up more....

Take it slow and easy and pay attention to the hunt..Relish your finds.. Virgin sites are great tools as you can watch them depleat then YOU will be forced to make it give up more by any means neccesary..

If I was just starting out relic hunting in my area..I would probably not do it ..I was lucky enough to hunt them loaded and depleated...so I know whats still there form past history of hunt's...a new comer would simply just get BURNT OUT and walk away...I had to teach myself what to do to and Know how to READ a site and reopen a site howerver meager the finds may be I know theres things to blwo your mind inches belwoe the soil...I jsut need to figure out how to get to them..

Be warned though becoming a RELIC HUNTER is an ADDICTIVE VICE...

I hope your site rewards you with some N.C. State Seals!!!!

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 09, 2015 04:33PM
Great response Keith ahhhh yes iron I find more great relics that are more of an iron tone. Old locks, parts of guns and guns, Keys you name it some of them are just loaded with iron rust and it cleans off if you take the time to restore it and then you see the true age of the find. And of course I have my Thanksgiving dinner the night before so I can hit an area that I found the year before. And same on Xmas hunt first gifts later. I am not married so I can do that type of hunting...but yes relic hunter is where my blood line is the more iron the better

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

November 09, 2015 07:56PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great response Keith ahhhh yes iron I find more
> great relics that are more of an iron tone. Old
> locks, parts of guns and guns, Keys you name it
> some of them are just loaded with iron rust and it
> cleans off if you take the time to restore it and
> then you see the true age of the find. And of
> course I have my Thanksgiving dinner the night
> before so I can hit an area that I found the year
> before. And same on Xmas hunt first gifts later. I
> am not married so I can do that type of
> hunting...but yes relic hunter is where my blood
> line is the more iron the better

Lawrenzo,
A true Relic Hunter you are: Reading post from above, all you are is a Hole Digger. How many interesting and valuable finds are made by not listening to tones and not relying a meter, or just to lazy to dig...thumbs downthumbs downsmileys with beer...A single tone, Non Meter, VLF will separate the Arm Chair Diggers from a true Relic Hunter...I would like to hunt with you...
November 10, 2015 02:59AM
That is how it's done if you have a few hours to hunt don't pick and choose your digs just dig them. If I have a place I want to hunt instead of killing myself I'll dig it all and then go back and back and back and hunt only for as long I can dig and not burn out and stop and say "I'll pass on that or that sounds bad..just how do you know what you missed if you don't dig it and find out??confused smiley

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

November 10, 2015 03:31AM
I am expecting Lawrenzo to lift an axe head out of the ground only to expose gold coin....If that happens--I'll bet more will be digging more axe heads/iron relics!!!!!
November 10, 2015 02:38PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Well theres Relic Hunters and theres people who
> Hunt for relics...
>
> I started out HUNTING FOR RELICS 4 decades ago
> now Im a RELIC HUNTER ...

> N.C. soil is it the mounitan's or the coast..??
> hopefull its decent dirt maybe tobaccoo fields...

Whoa, Keith, ol' boy, we'uns in NC raise more than tobaccy these days <g>.
They's peanuts, cotton, soybeans, corn, too.
>
>
> The main thing to remember is Relic come in all
> shapes forms and metal composition...so while at
> first your probably goign to want to get the
> higher conductors you dont want to overlook the
> iron implements ...
>
> And this seems to be the problems I see with 21st
> centry relic hunting... people are not diggin the
> iron...yet the iron is the most used metal in
> Military applications...
>
> Plus removong iron form a promising site also
> helps in unmasking..
>
> If its a virgin Site though Iorn will be the last
> thing on your mind...

Exactly! Tell the truth, Keith, WHEN do you dig the iron out of a site?
As you come to it, or when the non-iron targets dry up?
You spend your time digging iron, too early, and you're just helping the other guy who finds/stumbles on the site and picks out the non ferrous.

>
> It will help to read a site also..to see if its
> even the right period ..hate to spend hours on in
> on a spot that was a plowed in farm dump from
> 1940..
>
> Most of the camps around here are beat to death
> but still hold stuff but the thing in a hard
> hunted camp that you just walk up on is the
> ability to Read the iron out of the site
> Audibly.....after many many years I have learned
> what a Civil War camp sounds like Vs 20th century
> logging camp or barn sites....
>
> Civil War camps that are heavily hunted will have
> a Unique sound in all metal in the way the iron is
> scattered and the sizes of it plus the modulation
> of the depth of the nails...
>
> As Im walking through the woods I like to hear
> those faint quick wobbly nails in all metal...
>
> You will need a machine thats powerful in all
> metal mode...then learn the traits of nails in all
> metal Vs Round sounds in all metal ..If you can
> indentify a OLD site and slow down in it you will
> be rewarded on hunted hard sites with a POWERFULLY
> DEEP UNIT...But it will take a all metla mode in
> alot of these sites...
>
> Nautilus...5900...XLT...Xterra
> 705..MXT...etc..F75...T2 machines with smooth all
> metal mode's will be your friend in camp sites
> with scattered iron thats been hunted hard...your
> trying to get the deeper targets the older hunters
> left...
>
> And dont overlook the larger than nail iron..they
> can be lock plates....gun
> hammers...bayonets...ETC..
>
> I hope your site rewards you with some N.C. State
> Seals!!!!

It's been a long time since I dug a NC state seal button, myself. Too long!
But anything CW period is a hoot, and confed marked, awesome!!

Excellent post, Keith. Sounds like you've largely written the preface to your book.
Can't wait for the following chapters...with profuse photographs of finds (and maybe your face, as we never see that in your videos. We know what your feet and arms look like <g>.)

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
November 10, 2015 04:26PM
I love axe heads and horse shoes and tools from the past when I hunt..not all about those coins but when I do find coins it's a treat and surprisesmoking smiley

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

November 14, 2015 06:11PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Well theres Relic Hunters and theres people who
> Hunt for relics...
>
> I started out HUNTING FOR RELICS 4 decades ago
> now Im a RELIC HUNTER ...
>
> Yes a RELIC HUNTER is a different Breed LOL!!!
>
> Now a guy whos hunts for relics usually hasnt been
> consumed by Relic thoughts day and night...And has
> yet to forgo Christmas or Thanksgiving Dinner to
> go swinging in cold wet soil in the middle of
> nowhere by yourself in briar thicket hoping to
> find piece of camp lead...
>
> I do all these things and more Im not proud to
> say..Yes Im a RELIC HUNTER I have a problem..
>
> So which will it be////HMMMMMM????Virgin spots
> could be dangerous to your long term outlook in
> terms of social aspects with family and friends..
>
> So what gear will you need??
>
> If its a virgin site anything is going to get the
> goodies if the soil is not extrmely hot...
> especially a modern unit..your F2 will last awhile
> in there..
>
> N.C. soil is it the mounitan's or the coast..??
> hopefull its decent dirt maybe tobaccoo fields...
>
>
> The main thing to remember is Relic come in all
> shapes forms and metal composition...so while at
> first your probably goign to want to get the
> higher conductors you dont want to overlook the
> iron implements ...
>
> And this seems to be the problems I see with 21st
> centry relic hunting... people are not diggin the
> iron...yet the iron is the most used metal in
> Military applications...
>
> Plus removong iron form a promising site also
> helps in unmasking..
>
> If its a virgin Site though Iorn will be the last
> thing on your mind...
>
> It will help to read a site also..to see if its
> even the right period ..hate to spend hours on in
> on a spot that was a plowed in farm dump from
> 1940..
>
> Most of the camps around here are beat to death
> but still hold stuff but the thing in a hard
> hunted camp that you just walk up on is the
> ability to Read the iron out of the site
> Audibly.....after many many years I have learned
> what a Civil War camp sounds like Vs 20th century
> logging camp or barn sites....
>
> Civil War camps that are heavily hunted will have
> a Unique sound in all metal in the way the iron is
> scattered and the sizes of it plus the modulation
> of the depth of the nails...
>
> As Im walking through the woods I like to hear
> those faint quick wobbly nails in all metal...
>
> You will need a machine thats powerful in all
> metal mode...then learn the traits of nails in all
> metal Vs Round sounds in all metal ..If you can
> indentify a OLD site and slow down in it you will
> be rewarded on hunted hard sites with a POWERFULLY
> DEEP UNIT...But it will take a all metla mode in
> alot of these sites...
>
> Nautilus...5900...XLT...Xterra
> 705..MXT...etc..F75...T2 machines with smooth all
> metal mode's will be your friend in camp sites
> with scattered iron thats been hunted hard...your
> trying to get the deeper targets the older hunters
> left...
>
> And dont overlook the larger than nail iron..they
> can be lock plates....gun
> hammers...bayonets...ETC..
>
> Now if your after relics in a more dense iron
> trash area like a House site from 1850.. then
> depth is out the door and you will need separation
> and exact disc circuits to work on previoulsy
> hunted hard sites...Again read the site.. if its
> worth the NEXT STEP then apend the time on the
> site.. reading a site will be by whats surfacing
> onthe site...THICK Toe taps,,,CERTAIN suspender
> clip design's,,, ALL flatbuttons,,these ar common
> house site items.. Flat Buttons and its ON...the
> other things will be there I listed but they need
> to be more carefully inspected as they lasted into
> the late 1800s even eary 1900's..but theres tell
> tale designs of toe taps and suspender clips to
> let you kow your on the right spot...Dont gauge a
> site off a few finds get a good read on the site
> and if the site is of the right age and in the
> right area it can be seriously dug.. I mean dug
> and dug and dug..Down this way I know the sites
> that will reveal confederaet buttons and when I
> locate them I stay on the site till the cows come
> home..And If I located the reb buttons then I will
> hunt it lifelong..
>
> But if your after relics dont waste your time on a
> spot that's not certain to give up relics.. Rev
> war Or Civil War or whatever your after..
>
>
> The Best for working through iron dissecting
> target's is G2/Gold bug
> ...DTVG...Tejon...DEUS...Racer/CoRe with
> OOR5...GMP...AT-PRO...MXT...705 HF coil's...Any of
> those will get you finds in iron thast hunted
> already..
>
> So two areas to consider...Sparse site relic
> huting will require depth to get
> more..Contaminated site relic hunting will require
> speed and separation to get more...
>
> Intelligent audio is a must for me.. and also
> rejected target alert tone wise is a must for me
> ....I like to know what's there even if im not
> going to dig it...
>
> a Pulse Unit has it's place in a arsenal but you
> need to know your ready for it....and need an
> understanding of where to really use it to be
> effective and have it as an advantage not a
> hinderance.. Because a Good DEEP all metal mode
> will do as much as a pulse unit in alot of
> scenario's...Pulses are Very specialized and will
> open your eyes if the sites allow...But at the
> same time you need to KNOW you NEED one before you
> get one ....
>
> Now I've written this to tell you all the reading
> in the world and studying methods of approach etc
> will not replace real world hunt's...
>
> Ive hunted my whole life and Im the first to admit
> I learn more every year...Ill tell you this
> though...and I believe it holds true after all my
> years ...EDUCATION of HOW TO HUNT A SITE is
> paramount.... if you have the KNOW HOW to have an
> analytical approach to sites you face you will
> succeed....The gear to use will only be of use to
> you when you Know YOU NEED that gear...Buying this
> and that will not do much till you understand why
> it is you HAVE to HAVE that gear..
>
> I would rather have say for instance your F2 and
> know how to use it and Know its limitations and
> how to combat those limitations than to have a top
> end P.I. and every New VLF unit under the sun but
> really not Know what I need the units for ...
>
> So what im really trying to say to you is spend
> time in the field with a GOOD unit on this Virgin
> spot and you will be rewarded..Study What YOUR
> seeing ...build an understanding of why things
> happen .. figure out how to get MORE out of a site
> as it depleates. then the Gear you require will be
> the tool to open up more....
>
> Take it slow and easy and pay attention to the
> hunt..Relish your finds.. Virgin sites are great
> tools as you can watch them depleat then YOU will
> be forced to make it give up more by any means
> neccesary..
>
> If I was just starting out relic hunting in my
> area..I would probably not do it ..I was lucky
> enough to hunt them loaded and depleated...so I
> know whats still there form past history of
> hunt's...a new comer would simply just get BURNT
> OUT and walk away...I had to teach myself what to
> do to and Know how to READ a site and reopen a
> site howerver meager the finds may be I know
> theres things to blwo your mind inches belwoe the
> soil...I jsut need to figure out how to get to
> them..
>
>
> Be warned though becoming a RELIC HUNTER is an
> ADDICTIVE VICE...
>
> I hope your site rewards you with some N.C. State
> Seals!!!!

What a GREAT write up Keith!----Thanks so much for sharing---but its so much more than sharing--it's a great lesson for ALL of us!------I looked up "Relic Hunter" in Websters dictionary and right beside of those two words they had a picture of Mr. Keith Southern. smiling smiley------I mean that as a fine compliment Sir.---------Del
November 14, 2015 08:56PM
Dang it Keith you got my blood boilin',but deer season is open and my main place is in the middle of 3 deer leases--will be Feb. 16 before I can go in. Anyway what a great reply--you are da main.
November 14, 2015 09:17PM
Try a G2 buddy. It's the best relic machine I've ever used. It's light super quiet & most of all DEEP with the right coil on it. I dig my share of civil war relic with mine. Usually I average between 200 to 300 minie balls a year. But I hunt & look for new spots. I don't believe I've ever hunted a virgin spot. So I'm finding what everyone else has either not wanted or couldn't detect. Anyway my vote is for the G2. HH TIM
November 15, 2015 02:29AM
Thanks for that nugget Keith. I'm finding that researching the places to look is as rewarding as the hunting. Well naw not really.smoking smiley
I'm chasing local lore and tied stories together to find some truths. I made friends with a farm owner this week that has his land written in local history going back to rev war era.
I couldn't handle the all the square nails in one place along the river edge with stock coil and was just finding can slaw in the field. So I painted the picture of some structure in that one spot. A mill maybe?
The goods will eventualy be unhidden. I'll go over these fields with the Racer once entirely before I start looking for something with more depth.
I forgot to add the soil in in place is a lot better than I usually find around here only 2 peices of the pie graph.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 02:37AM by bespride.
November 16, 2015 07:16AM
Thanks fellas!

Bespride......All those square nail in one palce is where the goodies are...I would move no further...UNLOCK THAT SITE..

stay in those nails Make sure your digging the bent nails...I know that sounds strange but DO IT...you will find (out) things!

Those nails are a habitation site...that's where the activity took place thats where the MOST objects will have been lost..it may have been hunted already and seem DEAD.. it is not unless somone really beat on it .. then its just more of a challenge for you..

this is where the real LEARING will happen..

anyone can dig deep in a field but to UNLOCK Iron that seems DEAD will be REWARDING in more ways than you can imagine!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 16, 2015 01:34PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Thanks fellas!
>
> Bespride......All those square nail in one palce
> is where the goodies are...I would move no
> further...UNLOCK THAT SITE..
>
> stay in those nails Make sure your digging the
> bent nails...I know that sounds strange but DO
> IT...you will find (out) things!
>
> Those nails are a habitation site...that's where
> the activity took place thats where the MOST
> objects will have been lost..it may have been
> hunted already and seem DEAD.. it is not unless
> somone really beat on it .. then its just more of
> a challenge for you..
>
> this is where the real LEARING will happen..
>
> anyone can dig deep in a field but to UNLOCK Iron
> that seems DEAD will be REWARDING in more ways
> than you can imagine!
>
> Keith

You're right. I was planning on going through the nails with the oor coil when I get it. I spent the majority of my hunt in there with the stock coil and dug up a handfull of nails. It was just a crazy carpet of iron.
What does the "bent" nail signify as opposed to straight nails?
November 17, 2015 02:04PM
Keep in mind though...Keith Southern is not human,lol. Keith buddy, you really skip Christmas and Thanksgiving? Oh boy, yep , your a junkie my friend!
November 17, 2015 04:09PM
deathray Wrote:
> Keep in mind though...Keith Southern is not
> human,lol. Keith buddy, you really skip Christmas
> and Thanksgiving? Oh boy, yep , your a junkie my
> friend!

Keith Southern is a robot????----I didn't know that!!!!-----He can do detector stuff like "Short Circuit" (#5) did the encyclopedias! grinning smiley---I'm kiddin, I'm kiddin
November 17, 2015 10:03PM
Dang Keith,When did you start detectin' 6 years old? LOL!
November 18, 2015 12:52AM
A detector that is tue dto bent nails and not straight nails will find the targets that are partially masked by nails..

a bent nail fools the dic circuit into reporting..

after awhle and especially with two tone you will learn to HEAR the exact sound your after..it will be a bit more than a straight nail FALSE...

Keith

-Nikola Tesla