Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Shovels and digging tools

Posted by Bflo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Shovels and digging tools
March 15, 2016 04:12AM
OK
After seeing Keith's video it made me think about digging tools. Whats the average number you guys have and is it like defectors, always looking for a perfect one.

I have a old lesche that's retired at least an inch shorter and welded
A shovel from Lowe's I really like fiberglass with a short sharp blade ( maybe trencher) it does a good job in fields and is surprisingly sturdy
A raptor tool like WJS uses in his videos which I also like and is usually on my hip even wilhen I have the bid shovel and also a short predator shovel that is well made and I'm always looking for better

I messed up and bought a cheap army entrencher the other day. Looking for a.real one like I used to have.
Re: Shovels and digging tools
March 15, 2016 04:49AM
I use Predator Tools shovels. I have one he designed that is still sold under his Lesche name that is called a Hut Digging shovel. All welded and has a standard #2 size shovel head on it. It is probably the best one I have ever had. I also use another Predator shovel but not sure of the name of it. For a while, he made his version of a WW2 folding shovel that was much better built with all metal. I still have one somewhere but the locking collar is locked down from being out in the weather for a few years.
March 15, 2016 05:03AM
I have a Predator Raptor for fine turf work. But most of the time I use a Mini Shovel I bought at Lowes for 10 bucks. I spent about 30 minutes with a cut off wheel and a file and it's perfect. The teeth I file in mine can literally saw. I've cut a 2 inch sapling down before pretty easily. Cutting roots is just a single push and it's done.

The Predator shovels are very nice, and I hope to buy one someday. But they weigh and cost as much as 3 or 4 of these cheapies I make.
March 15, 2016 12:00PM
Im like Keith all I have ever used is a Army shovel.. I like the ones with the picks.. this is some I just redone and sold. Best is ames or wood, date is 1944 or 1945 ones with the pick came from Vietnam and are 1966 date.
March 15, 2016 01:34PM
Predator Tools are expensive but are worth every cent. I have had these shovels since about 2001 and have used them for digging, hammers, prying, snake killers, you name it. They are still going strong. The very first one I owned was stolen from the back of my truck, or I would still have it. The folding shovel just needs a little TLC with some Kroil or something to loosen the locking collar and it would be ready to roll.
March 15, 2016 03:44PM
I would think Keiths way of digging is going to give someone carpal tunnel

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 15, 2016 04:33PM
the shovel i like by far the best is called a Lesche 38" Ground Shark with D Handle. I did weld two flat bars to the top to make it easy to jump on it all day long if needed. I like that I can use it three times to make small diameter cuts in a nice lawn when using small coils, and make nice big holes when going deep in fields. I have gotten the thumbs up from a nice old lady who spends more money on the upkeep of her lawn than I make in a year that my holes made with care with that shovel are just fine to her. Last week I dug one of the small diameter plugs right next to her front walk...it was a key her husband lost to his "toolshed" which houses millions of dollars worth of race cars....got good brownie points for returning that one smiling smiley
March 16, 2016 02:15AM
I got two 38 D's from George Lesche years ago, and they still work as good as new. Whenever I see someone use those E tools like a hoe, I cringe at the thought of them tearing up a good find. I don't see how they avoid it.
March 16, 2016 03:42AM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got two 38 D's from George Lesche years ago, and
> they still work as good as new. Whenever I see
> someone use those E tools like a hoe, I cringe at
> the thought of them tearing up a good find. I
> don't see how they avoid it.

+1