Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer 2 5 minute review.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer 2 5 minute review.
March 18, 2016 02:55AM
Well I got out of work late and the sun was down, So I thought I would test it quick in the front yard. I have not used a Racer before, so this was an all new experience using a detector that uses a continuous feed VS a snap shot type of reporting. What a noticeable difference to the point of the machine seems to be alive(it really felt as if it was leading me, instead of vise-versa). LOL. I fooled around with the ID filter, gain, 2 and 3 tone, and all metal. I got a nice 82-86 hit..in my front yard(I thought i cleared it out). I wanted to make sure the TID was correct in all modes, and it was. Then came the pinpoint which seemed to be off quite a bit depth wise. The target was reading 7-8(Inches i think). It was a two inch 1984 dime. Way to early to give a comprehensive review, however, I will in the future.

So far, so good!
Re: Racer 2 5 minute review.
March 18, 2016 03:29AM
That's pretty much what I did after getting home from work! A few minutes going over the manual and a quick run in the yard. It sounds like your R2 could possibly still be in cm instead of inches? I changed mine over to "US" before heading out. I was surprised to see that the R2 would overload on the nails of my porch. One of my concerns with the Core was it overloading easily in the field, but I only had the Racer2 overload once in actual ground, that's a good sign. I'm liking the ergonomics and menu system so far, and the build quality is excellent. I hope to give it a real test in some iron tomorrow, possibly Saturday. One thing I noticed was that the charger on the pro pack did not come with a US two prong outlet, only a European style charger. I can always plug it into a cigarette lighter for recharging the batteries, but it is a pain to have to find an adapter for 110v US plug.. Not a huge issue, just an observation. I also prefer the Core's pro pack case to the Racer's back pack style case. I like that the Racer's coils can remain on their rod's inside the case, but it's not near as rugged nor as organized as the Core. Just my initial observations, but I'm excited to run this detector in some iron with the small coil and see what it can do!
Re: Racer 2 5 minute review.
March 18, 2016 11:22AM
triplehooked Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
One
> thing I noticed was that the charger on the pro
> pack did not come with a US two prong outlet, only
> a European style charger.

I'm setting on the sidelines thinking about purchasing a Racer 2. Hopefully you got a European pro pack instead of a US pro pack by mistake, because it would be a big blunder for a company to sell detectors with chargers that can't be used by the customers they're being marketed to. That makes no sense at all. It's not big thing, but it makes me wonder what else was overlooked in the first production run. Keep the reviews coming!

tabman