Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A little Deus Talk

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A little Deus Talk
March 26, 2016 12:15AM
Many folks here probably already know I am fond of a Xp Deus.

I thought I would take this time to share a few of my experiences to maybe give some folks here some information.

I have seen it said in many places where disc setting on Deus has little affect on depth.

So what is the real answer??

It is not as black and white as one would think.

I will describe what I have witnessed and folks here can draw their own conclusions.

Let's take this 10" nickel in my test garden.

With Deus configured with 11" coil.

I set my Deus up,at 94 sens and left silencer at -1 and reactivity 1. I did change freq back and forth between 12 and 18 kHz but no real difference.
Dead on ground balance plus 1---letting the machine track in adjacent ground and going to manual to lock

Okay using disc level of 6, 3 tones,, the nickel is struck with good tone-- sweep speed a bit critical but not overly.
Next I went to Full tones O disc--- nickel signal seems broader less choppy than settings above.
The tone on the nickel though--not as high tone sounding as disc at 6 using 3 tones.
Sort of a cross between iron and good nonferrous.

Leaving the Deus in full tones, I started to progressively raise disc
At level 3-- good signal,, signal had more of a high tone vs O disc
At level 5 -- good signal,, but a tiny bit chopped vs level 3 disc

At disc level 8-- good signal,, but signal even more chopped-- sweep speed if managed ideal would help signal some

At disc level 10-- decent signal,, but sweep speed seemed even more critical.

I continued to raise disc,,.I even went to 80, I could hear a real hacked signal-- nothing I would have dug btw.

So, here are my thoughts to pass on here.

Deus sweep speed--- much more forgiving with lower disc settings,,,if a person due to site riddled with junk,, and they decide to run higher than normal disc-- be conscious of your sweep speed

Also,using 0 disc full tones--- good targets may not have a good high ring to them-- more subdued, but whole sounding
This is one of the reasons I hate my grey ghost modified Deus headphones -- they seem to take what little high tinge a person my hear on heavily masked targets away.

Next, I want to talk a little bit about hunting with Deus in heavy iron.
Based on my recent hunts---- more targets are more likely to be found in such sites--- with drier ground

Now for folks running O disc or even say between say O and disc level of 4 using full tones.
A user had better be on guard for the following---- targets that seem to provide a little bit of high static
I have a small site I've been hunting for a while-- but hadn't hunted it much using full tones and low disc.

I was hunting one day-- was,actually bored and hunted for only a few minutes.
The ground in this particular area was definitely drier than it had been all winter.

So basically with my setup with reactivity 3, silencer -1, 18 kHz full tones 0 disc off I went.

Well I get this signal with just a touch of high static with no iron tones coming in before and after-- this high static was consistent with each pass of coil.
Turning 90 degrees--- could not hear.

So next I dug.

Plug on top of the ground-- only dug about 5" btw.
Swept hole nada,, swept plug and could hear the smidge of high static--- kept sweeping and all of a sudden I let my coil get to close and bumped this little clod,, then all of a sudden I was getting rock solid tone.
Upon further examination it was infact a bullet about 3" below surface-- and upon further inspection the bullet was surrounded by a bunch of iron dust from I guess decomposed iron or nails.
Imagine that-- such a shallow target and I have probably swept over it a 100 times or more in the last 5 years,,, with Etrac, CTX, V3i, and others

So maybe a few folks anyway may benefit from this info.

Deus is sneaky-- good nonferrous targets not always as apparent,,, but these targets it does struggle with-- I would bet most others would struggle even more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2016 12:26AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: A little Deus Talk
March 26, 2016 01:32AM
Thanks shooter, I like my Deus, I have not been out a lot because of weather or some other happing. I read that setting of 10 did not hurt depth, and after that to use notch and knock out what ever you wanted. Dose that interfear with depth? Can you use some notch and see if it hurts depth ? Thanks flintstone
Re: A little Deus Talk
March 26, 2016 01:43AM
Flintstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks shooter, I like my Deus, I have not been
> out a lot because of weather or some other
> happing. I read that setting of 10 did not hurt
> depth, and after that to use notch and knock out
> what ever you wanted. Dose that interfear with
> depth? Can you use some notch and see if it hurts
> depth ? Thanks flintstone

Notch is the preferred way to knock out unwanted junk targets-- NOT mid and higher levels disc settings.

Notch can affect swing speed-- meaning some targets; especially those that are closer to the edges of the " notch set" will be somewhat clipped/ chopped.