Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Some Deus thoughts

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Some Deus thoughts
April 24, 2016 05:10AM
I have been hunting in a few spots lately,,where I have used Deus before,,,I try and keep up with what sites I use which coil,,the 9" or the 11" coil.

I think I am seeing a pattern of sorts,,I do know any site loaded with iron and nails,,,you hunt a site like this in the winter time when the ground is wet and do well find wise with nonferrous target numbers,, a person would more than likely be doing a service to themselves to go back in the spring time when the ground is drier and rehunt.
I have been having I think some pretty good succes by doing.

Here's something else though I'm seeing I think,,,but haven't done any head to head to maybe give me some clues or back this hunch I have up,,,
Even in sites with fairly large quantities of iron/ nails,,, it seems the 2 different Deus coils, the 9" and 11" coils are seeing things differently.

I am going in to small places where I have pounded hard with 9" coil,,, and using the 11" coil making some surprising nonferrous finds-- and these finds aren't very deep either.
Too many nonferrous finds,, for this to be a freak occurrence,,,will say these finds seem to be flat like little buttons,,, target orientation I'm unsure of,,, but am wondering if the 11" coil might be picking these targets up better than the 9" coil because they are on edge or moreso.

Now I would be lying if I didn't admit,,, I have went into a few sites that were loaded with iron and nails,,using the 11" coil and pounding,,, to later go back with the 9" and find a few finds.

But hunting one coil behind the other,,,,it don't seem like the 9" coil from a find numbers perspective is doing any better than than the 11" coil,,,,,seems my success is about the same with each coil in a site,, no matter which coil is used first or last--- and depth of targets I don't think is a significant factor/ difference.

I had a similar thing happen last year in a real small patch where I had found a few good coins,,,I ran the 9" coil all around this baby,,and then the 11" pops a silver-- not deep either.

I guess I need to do some head to head on wild targets in the field.
Re: Some Deus thoughts
April 24, 2016 09:15AM
I have used quite a few detectors for coin shooting the last 10 years. My favorite has been the Deus with the 9 inch coil. I just can't seem to find a detector that performs better for my needs. I'll look at one again after the new version release. In my opinion they should have just come out with the Deus 2. They will probably come out with a couple new coils for the update because we always want a large and small coil. That is going to make those old 500.00 coils just that. Old and Obsolete. I usually don't concern myself with resale value unless I know I'm going to flip a detector. But when your hardware becomes outdated you cut ties and move on to a new model. Just my opinion.
April 24, 2016 11:49AM
I reported on this exact phenomenon about 8 - 9 years ago. . . . . and in fairly good detail. I don't remember where on this forum.

In a nutshell....... a larger coil envelops a different footprint......whereby ,,,,,,, posing a different/larger/broad 'wrap-around'.
This is also to say: One coil will see a certain 'percentage' of targets that another coil will not see. Another coil will see yet another 'different' percentage of targets that the original coil will not see. This also holds true from detector to detector.

"Wrap-around" can circumvent/mitigate 'some' masking.
April 24, 2016 12:19PM
David and it might have to do with better coverage of a site also. I'm thinking most coils have "sweet" spots along the detection field. Can't prove it very easily but it seems so. OAN being a meticulous hunter/ground scanner for me makes a huge difference. It could be any of the above I'm guessing but being meticulous puts a lot more targets in my pouch. Painting the ground like painting a wall, only with a coil instead of a brush will yield a lot more. Then put on that second coat, you get the idea..........
April 24, 2016 01:17PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David and it might have to do with better coverage
> of a site also. I'm thinking most coils have
> "sweet" spots along the detection field. Can't
> prove it very easily but it seems so. OAN being a
> meticulous hunter/ground scanner for me makes a
> huge difference. It could be any of the above I'm
> guessing but being meticulous puts a lot more
> targets in my pouch. Painting the ground likewise
> painting a wall, only with a coil instead of a
> brush will yield a lot more. Then put on that
> second coat, you get the idea..........

I don't think what I am seeing is linked to the coverage differences here Jack.

I am talking about small patches.

I think it is when changing coil size-- for lack of a better term,, for me anyways,,,angle of attack changes,,the corresponding differences in the layout of transmit vs receive portions of the coil.

And with all the possible combos,, dealing with iron/ nails and nonferrous targets.

I have seen this a little,, even when doing some 3D test with coin and nails,,when comparing,,but remember I haven't tried near the combos possible that could exist in a detecting site.

My thinking is this,,,some folks may tend to hunt a site they know is brutal when it comes to iron and nails with a smaller coil,,,thinking once they have,, in their mind depleted the site for all detectable,,,may consider moving on---- my thoughts are,,if the site was productive with smaller coil,,,person should probably try a bigger coil like stock sized and give it a whirl in the site.
April 24, 2016 03:41PM
Well that is why it's always good to go back and hunt again with maybe a different coil or detector

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!