Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

history lesson in a graveyard

Posted by ncwayne 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
history lesson in a graveyard
May 01, 2016 08:47PM
My mom died the last day of May, 2015, at 88 years of age. The church where her ashes were laid to rest had a memorial service today for those (extended) family members lost in 2015. I attended.
It's an old country church - Hopewell United Methodist, Trinity, NC. "Keep moving, folks, not much to see here." Just the home of Duke University. The tobacco wealthy Duke family "bought" Trinity College and moved it to Durham and gave it their name many years ago. Before that, it was Trinity College playing UNC and NC State, among others, and doing quite well. Trinity College had a really good reputation for academics, too, and the transition to Duke University probably didn't hurt them too much.
Oh, and Confed Gen William Joseph Hardee headquartered at Trinity College at the close of the war. I grew up within a couple miles of the church and went to Trinity High, then about 200 yards from the original site of Trinity College.

I walked across the street to the cemetery after the service today and visited the graves of my family members, but I noticed some really old tombstones on the walk over and took a look at several on the way back to the church. Here is what I found:

First, there was this

But then, there was this

What follows are the inscriptions on 3 of the 4 sides of that monument.

Ahi Robbins,

lost his 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th sons to the War for Southern Independence.

His 2nd son, Julius A Robbins, was in the 44th Regiment, NC Infantry. He was killed June 9, 1864 at Mt Sterling, KY at the age of 33.
His 4th son, James L Robbins, was in the 58th NC Infantry, Co. E. He died on July 24, 1862 of wounds received at Gaines Mill. He was 27.
His 5th son, Madison C Robbins, was in the 16th Regiment, NC Infantry, Co. D (formerly 6th NC Volunteers). He was killed at Antietam on Sept 17, 1862, at age 22.
His 6th son, Roswell W Robbins, was in the 22nd Regiment, NC Infantry, Co. L (formerly 12th NC Volunteers). He died of wounds received at Chancellorsville.

What a terrible sacrifice this family made during that awful war. As did many other families on both sides. I am honored to be able to bring to light the occasional item from that war. And to have my passion for searching for those relics be the medium that connects me to the history like that I found today in that graveyard.

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 06:53PM by ncwayne.
Re: history lesson in a graveyard
May 01, 2016 10:11PM
If you really are that passionate about these tombstone coming to light, how about some elbow grease cleaning them up...Good way to get noticed in the right way and who knows, someone might stop, strike up a conversation on how a good person you are and you just put your foot in the door, explain your hobby and the sky might be the limit.
May 02, 2016 12:21AM
Patina is what makes'em look good. Cementaries are a good way of getting a feel of the area.

------------"Cz's still bad to the bone".------------
Living on a big ass Astroid.
The woman that got my rib,I want it back.
May 02, 2016 04:10PM
Thanks for sharing Wayne, interesting stuff!
May 03, 2016 02:53AM
Good read...

Did you know government issued Yankee Tombstones were rounded on top..and Confederate ones were pointed like a house on top.??

Down here in my areas the graveyards are full of them...hundreds even thousands in places...

you can spot them from the road..acres of them at times..

Tugs on the heartstrings to see the needless effusion of blood like that..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 03, 2016 09:08PM
When in areas of the Civil War or older I occassionally look for the older grave yards. The epitaphs are interesting to read and the reality of the great amount of loss during those hard times is brought into perspective. Thanks for a good read Wayne.