Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coin mint errors

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coin mint errors
May 13, 2016 02:59PM
I have read a little about these,,so my knowledge is limited.

Here is something interesting,,,maybe some here can share their thoughts and maybe share if they have found any mint error coins while detecting.

[metaldetectingforum.com]
Re: Coin mint errors
May 13, 2016 03:40PM
Every metal detectorist should have a coin expert he can trust for an expert opinion is the way to go if one such coin found...Have to agree don't clean just run under water to clean...
May 13, 2016 05:41PM
I have a 1970 D quarter that was struck on a dime planchet that I found detecting. I knew it was an error when I found it. It's very thin and the middle copper part does not extend all the way to the edge of the outer nickel.

HH
John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 05:42PM by DirtyJohn.
May 13, 2016 10:15PM
I love error coins like double dies or overstrikes. My all time favorite is the 55 double die Lincoln cent. I remember when I was a kid and got intrested in coins you could get one for under 200.00! Still a lot of cash back in the day, But today can't hardly find one under 1500 in any decent shape. Then there is the 72 with not as pronounced doubling but still cool and a lot cheaper as I have that one.