Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detector testing/ performance in different soils ( mineralization)

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detector testing/ performance in different soils ( mineralization)
May 14, 2016 01:09PM
I woke up this morning thinking about this. And my career in the USAF,, I thought of something. I have seen even here on this forum,, where it seems for example some folks have some of the Cullpepper Va dirt they use to test detectors.

I remember whenever I would come back through customs after overseas trip,,,we had to declare and answer a few questions.

I think I remember we weren't allowed to bring animal skins, dirt,,, etc back into the USA

So testers using detectors around the world,,due to this seems is a necessity.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on this issue will talk about this some.
Re: Detector testing/ performance in different soils ( mineralization)
May 14, 2016 01:19PM
I have no knowledge of this but my guess is, maybe if they do need to transport soil across borders, sanitizing is the rule....heat treat to kill any living threat, maybe.....some treatment so as not to disrupt the soils minerals etc. Or would it be less expensive to have a tester visit the countries along with the detectors,.... I don't know.
May 14, 2016 10:54PM
Hi,,,,,"The old Fisher site in California had a carefully designed and constructed test bed with several different sections where they imported different soil minerals so they could emulate almost any mineral condition besides alkali or salt water.".......JJ
May 15, 2016 02:42AM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,,,,,"The old Fisher site in California had a
> carefully designed and constructed test bed with
> several different sections where they imported
> different soil minerals so they could emulate
> almost any mineral condition besides alkali or
> salt water.".......JJ

Thanks for the info JJ.