Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 DST with 1n tone

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75 DST with 1n tone
May 18, 2016 07:33PM
Let me start by saying I have read NASA-Tom's posts regarding hunting in heavy target areas with 1n tones, 6disc. I finally turned my settings to match his except used DE process instead of PF during my lunch break today and spent my first hour using this setup. I got 2 wheats, 2 zincolns, and a merc in an small 10x10 area that has been hunted probably a dozen times by me, once by Ozzie (during which he got a nice IH in the same area), and I found out last week that some other guy had been detecting there for years prior to me getting permission. I have gotten pretty many coins out of it using the G2 and 4tones F75 DP mode on earlier trips, but this was pretty fun and much easier to concentrate just on tone quality and not the constantly changing tones.

My questions for Tom and anyone else:
Tom, I didnt see in your posts a particular reason you were running in PF process....is there? FA, DE, and JE all give a nice clear tone on a small and large coin, so should I be working the site some in all of the processes, or is there an optimal one for 1n?

I am not looking for super depth in this crowded metal mix pit, so I assume the logic still stands to use the 5" DD over the 11" DD just to have fewer targets under the coil....

After going through this area thoroughly with the 5" coil, does it make sense to go through it again with the 6.5" elliptical coil?

Does anyone know if the 6.5" elliptical coil is more or less inclined to up or down average the vdi numbers on targets using the 1n? i.e. is the 6.5" a better coil to use instead of the 5?

Lots of feedback please. I am looking forward to continuing my F75 education.
Re: F75 DST with 1n tone
May 18, 2016 08:00PM
Are you sure that is 1n tone or 1 tone?? Different btw.
May 18, 2016 08:29PM
May 18, 2016 08:54PM
My old anniversary edition f75 and my ltd only have 1 and 1F.

(1) all types of metal, same tone
(1F) Medium to high pitch tone depending on the target signal strength. Large shallow objects produce a squeal. More info with this variable audio pitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 09:01PM by ozzie.
May 18, 2016 09:50PM
1n tone is no different than 2F, 2H, 2L tones except the iron audio is muted not disc'd out. The VDI numbers are still there. I have done some experimenting with PF process and noticed it is slightly better in iron than the other modes (excluding FA mode). Perhaps because it's a process designed for disturbed ground, it's seems to see non-ferrous alongside iron a little better. I have done this with iron nails next to coins and PF mode will hit the good target at times when the other processes won't (excluding FA mode).

Smaller coils are better in iron infested sights but slow down your sweep speed to give you more "Time on Target".

FA doesn't require as slow of a sweep speed and I have had good success with it and the small 5in coil.

I prefer to hear the iron. I personally like 2L tones. That way you can hear the iron but it's not so loud. I don't run any disc myself, but a disc of 6 should eliminate small iron and won't cost you good targets.

You are not going to hit deep non-ferrous targets in machine gun, iron infested sights. You can squeak some out using the FA mode but eventually you will have to get some of the iron out of the way to find the deeper good targets.

Hope that helps.

HH
John

P.S. I believe Tom suggested using 1 tone with a disc setting of 6 not 1N. That way you would could get solid target audio while still eliminating small iron without nulling out over good targets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 09:58PM by DirtyJohn.
May 18, 2016 10:12PM
1n is very good at peeking around nails..the N means nails...

its not using disc to remove them like a conventional 1 tone has to do..

if you run a 1 tone machine in iron you want to set the disc to reject the nail at least for trying to locate targets intermingled in the nails.

On a F75 its 6..T2 15...Etc..

BUt what has happened is yes its in 1 tone but its actually running more like the 2 tone...BUT we have the option that two tone does not offer..breaking the tone right at nail...

so they have the machine stay silent below the nail setting but its not using disc to do it its using software. that's why the id still works even though the unit is silent..

the F75 is hindered by not having ability to break tone..like a F19..and the structure wont allow it to happen.. Believe me Iv'e begged for it to happen...Its not easily done..

But all was not lost the engineers designed a way for the unit to at least reject a nail ...you don't have to set the disc to make it happen..just leave your disc on zero...the machine will mute the nails...its running like the 2f mode but its reworked to mute just nails...

This allows for better unmasking ..even better than say putting it in 1 tone and disc at 6... that uses disc to Reject nails..the 1n uses software to mute 6 and below...offers unmasking a bit better..

Make any sense ??

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 18, 2016 10:49PM
John, thank you, I will try pf process.

Keith, it does make sense, thank you. Can you speak to the 6.5 elliptical vs 5 inch dd? Assuming I will change my disc to 0 and keep 1n tones